Do Armenian drummers play Turkish cymbals?

Wow, I've never thought about that.... is Paiste the only non-Turkish company that makes their own blanks? I know Zildjian makes theirs start to finish, but they're Turkish. Sabian, ditto. Meinl gets their blanks made in Turkey... all the niche manufacturers are proudly Turkish-made.

The Zildjian family as well as many Turkish cymbal makers are of Armenian descent from Turkey. Usually the -ian or -yan ending of a last name is a clue that the person is Armenian. In Turkish, Zil means bell or cymbal. Zildjian's literal translation in Armenian would be "son of a bell/cymbal maker." Funny thing is, I am originally from Turkey and never knew that the Turkish cymbals were regarded highly until I moved to United States. We always coveted gear made in USA. Anyway, sorry to stray from the original question. I have no idea if Dolmayan's cymbal choice has any political reasoning, but if he wanted to go with his Armenian roots, Zildjian or Sabian or perhaps Agop would be more appropriate.

I'm willing to make a sizeable bet that his relationship with Paiste is for the same reasons as any other endorser out there.........simply put, he likes the product, likes the company, and likes the support and relationship they offer him.

Zildjian haven't been a Turkish cymbal company for a hell of a long time now. Sure they still trade on the "traditional Turkish method" of manufacturing them. But given that not a single Zildjian cymbal is hand made anymore, how realistic is that claim anyway? Modern Zildjian cymbals are about as Turkish as the Turkish Delight chocolate bar in my local store. Associating any political agenda to him not using them is a long bow I reckon.

Logically it makes no sense......but then again, politics and logic are so often mutually exclusive anyway.

my wife is armenian

she got a kick out of this question

I play Giant beats and have been a fan of Paiste 2002's for years.
BUt cymbal blanks.. UFIP

I was on holiday in Italy and much to my wife's anger.. she was promised a holiday away from the music industry.
What could I do it was fate, the hotel had a disply of cymbal makers tools and blanks and a huge UFIP sign.

The hotel owner told me the owner of UFIP was a mate who came regularly to play cards with him and his buddies and the factory was in the village.

A day or so later the hotel manager said he had spoken to Luigi and if i wanted i could just go show up & he would show me around.

Until now I had never taken any real notice of UFIP, but his was a real eye opener.
The cast their own blanks and have aspecial very slow cure process that provides there unique sound's.

This was real backyard stuff, all being done in the same place since 1920..
YES 1920!

But the sound's are amazing, very musical BUT no 2 the same, if your serious then Luigi will keep blank casts from the same moulds as your set for future replacement.

HERES THE AMAZING PART.
Luigi asked me if I could speak German, My kid's are all Anglo/swiss so we speak a German dialect.
He took us into his office and came back with a book full of letters from the early 30's all written in German from PAISTE and letters from Z and letters from S cymbals from latter years.

Luigi sent Paiste samples of his castings and later provided them all with blanks.

Then the war came and the old factory was bombed by the Americans and vast amount's of tooling and material were lost.

So to close, alongside the Turkish tradition there was a bell making tradition in Italy since the early 12 hundreds .. Luigi's family have been in it from the start & if you ask me He should really be considered the father of modern cymbal manufacture.

I wish I could afford a set but they don't suit my style and genre.

Simon

I dont know the answer to that question, but the question thats been keeping me awake lately is ' Do American players play African music?'

I've known a couple of Greeks who sure wouldn't buy anything Turkish.

Did you hear the one about the Greek drummer who accidentally dropped a Zildjian in Athens, but kicked it backwards all the way to Syria before he bent down to pick it up..

I play Giant beats and have been a fan of Paiste 2002's for years.
BUt cymbal blanks.. UFIP

I was on holiday in Italy and much to my wife's anger.. she was promised a holiday away from the music industry.
What could I do it was fate, the hotel had a disply of cymbal makers tools and blanks and a huge UFIP sign.

The hotel owner told me the owner of UFIP was a mate who came regularly to play cards with him and his buddies and the factory was in the village.

A day or so later the hotel manager said he had spoken to Luigi and if i wanted i could just go show up & he would show me around.

Until now I had never taken any real notice of UFIP, but his was a real eye opener.
The cast their own blanks and have aspecial very slow cure process that provides there unique sound's.

This was real backyard stuff, all being done in the same place since 1920..
YES 1920!

But the sound's are amazing, very musical BUT no 2 the same, if your serious then Luigi will keep blank casts from the same moulds as your set for future replacement.

HERES THE AMAZING PART.
Luigi asked me if I could speak German, My kid's are all Anglo/swiss so we speak a German dialect.
He took us into his office and came back with a book full of letters from the early 30's all written in German from PAISTE and letters from Z and letters from S cymbals from latter years.

Luigi sent Paiste samples of his castings and later provided them all with blanks.

Then the war came and the old factory was bombed by the Americans and vast amount's of tooling and material were lost.

So to close, alongside the Turkish tradition there was a bell making tradition in Italy since the early 12 hundreds .. Luigi's family have been in it from the start & if you ask me He should really be considered the father of modern cymbal manufacture.

I wish I could afford a set but they don't suit my style and genre.

Simon

But Simon,

UFIP has like 8 different professional lines to choose from. There must be SOMETHING they have that would suit what you play. Although they would respond a little different than a Z, S or P cymbal, they certainly have something for all styles. As far as being able to afford them, I'm as broke as anyone around here right now. I didn't think I could afford to buy UFIP pies either when I met Jamie Gale, the US Distributor last fall. I saw their finished product placed head-to-head against the big boys and was highly impressed with what they had to offer. That was November. I began to sell off extra Zildjian and Sabian pies that I had and didn't use and then bought second-hand UFIP replacements, which is what I had done with the same Zildjian ones.

I bought my first, a splash right around Christmas 2012. The following week, a Bionic Ride of the size and heavy weight that I wanted popped in front of my face and I snagged it at roughly 40% of the new retail price (not MSRP). Then I sold off another Zildjian crash and bought another UFIP, which made room to sell another and buy another. If you buy right, you can always sell right. Two of them weren't what I thought I wanted (one was a really old splash with a small hole that just didn't match anything else) and I unloaded them, but both with a bit of profit. Six UFIP discs later, I am on my way to completely revamping my setup.

As good as they sound in front of me, I found that they sounded even better in recorded playback. I even think my two remaining Zildjian crashes may be shedding tears right now, as that smaller UFIP Class crash in between them is making them look bad.

Back