DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 02-23-2017, 09:11 PM
Dizeee's Avatar
Dizeee Dizeee is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 399
Default Am I drumming for the wrong reasons?

I am around 4 months back into playing now, and have slowed down a bit and focussed on some stuff.

I had a lesson, which was weird, as I didn't feel like I gelled with the teacher. He seemed surprised to have a 35 year old in his studio and to be honest he never really heard me play or asked me to play, we did a lot of talking and what we did play was very basic and a discussion on bass drum foot technique whish is what I asked to learn about to be fair.

Anyway, something has come to light over the last few months. It probably goes against the grain with most drummers and it is around my reasons for playing. Why do I play and what do I enjoy? I love learning new complicated exercises or sequences for the challenge of being able to do them, improving and perfecting them. I am currently loving the rudiments and metronome playing for the exact same reasons. I look at the instrument as a whole in awe of it and want to learn how to better be a part of it and work with it to bring pleasure to all. I am a perfectionist so a great deal of my enjoyment comes from silly things like changing my skins so they all match and are decent, with logos facing the right way, or having a few decent cymbals to choose from over and above your 3 cymbal basic setup. I do like playing to music but for some reason seem to do not a lot of this - despite the fact this is what I used to do when I was younger. Maybe I feel it is just wasted time bashing a long to the radio? Don't know.

However, and this came up in my lesson:

Who is my favorite drummer? Ermmmm - well, not sure, I don't know of many and in fact until I started watching Drumeo I knew of none. I like Benny Greb, Thomas Pridgeon and Anika Milles - but i would hardly say I "follow" them. What music styles do I like and play? Well, actually, EDM is my passion and I don't wish to play along to it on my acoustic kit. I seperate the two entirely. In terms of music I like 80's and 90's Rock but that's probably about it and I don' listen to it much either. Never listen to Jazz, Country, Salsa, Latin etc etc etc. So actually I am not very ambitious in this respect.

I keep being asked will I play or do I want to play in a band e.t.c. Well, to be honest, I am not fussed. Maybe this comes from the fact I KNOW that I don't have the time to play in a band as I work full time and have two young kids. But I can't say I am overly excited about the prospect either, if I was I would have made big efforts to make that a reality. Maybe part of the reason is I feel I am not good enough, but, the passion to do this just isn't there.

So why am I bothering then - am I sounding like I am a weirdo and possibly taking up playing again is not suitable for me?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-23-2017, 09:39 PM
Odd-Arne Oseberg's Avatar
Odd-Arne Oseberg Odd-Arne Oseberg is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sykkylven, Møre og Romsdal, Norway
Posts: 3,240
Default Re: Am I drumming for the wrong reasons?

Enjoyment is enjoyment.

Playing with bands is one thing and each style will require something different.

There are many other avenues for musical drumming, though. Various types of drums corps.

Plenty of pure clinicians today. Not my cup of tea, but it's definetly there.

If you like rudimental playing, I highkly recommend getting into some real etudes like Wilcoxon or pieces from N.A.R.D or the Pratt books. Putting things together that way is a whole different ballgame.
__________________
So, kick drum...or...bass drum? I'll tell you what. If it's 18" or less, it's a FOOT TOM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-23-2017, 09:42 PM
KamaK KamaK is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: East Coast
Posts: 5,629
Default Re: Am I drumming for the wrong reasons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizeee View Post
I keep being asked will I play or do I want to play in a band e.t.c. Well, to be honest, I am not fussed. Maybe this comes from the fact I KNOW that I don't have the time to play in a band as I work full time and have two young kids. But I can't say I am overly excited about the prospect either, if I was I would have made big efforts to make that a reality. Maybe part of the reason is I feel I am not good enough, but, the passion to do this just isn't there.

So why am I bothering then - am I sounding like I am a weirdo and possibly taking up playing again is not suitable for me?
The reason that you are driven to play is arbitrary. The fact is that you're driven to play, and the easiest way to reconcile the desire is to actually play.

If you absolutely do not want to play in a band, but still want to play with others from time to time, I would recommend finding a few other sympathetic individuals and putting a "not a band" together.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-23-2017, 10:43 PM
funkutron
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Am I drumming for the wrong reasons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizeee View Post
I am around 4 months back into playing now, and have slowed down a bit and focussed on some stuff.

I had a lesson, which was weird, as I didn't feel like I gelled with the teacher. He seemed surprised to have a 35 year old in his studio and to be honest he never really heard me play or asked me to play, we did a lot of talking and what we did play was very basic and a discussion on bass drum foot technique whish is what I asked to learn about to be fair.

Anyway, something has come to light over the last few months. It probably goes against the grain with most drummers and it is around my reasons for playing. Why do I play and what do I enjoy? I love learning new complicated exercises or sequences for the challenge of being able to do them, improving and perfecting them. I am currently loving the rudiments and metronome playing for the exact same reasons. I look at the instrument as a whole in awe of it and want to learn how to better be a part of it and work with it to bring pleasure to all. I am a perfectionist so a great deal of my enjoyment comes from silly things like changing my skins so they all match and are decent, with logos facing the right way, or having a few decent cymbals to choose from over and above your 3 cymbal basic setup. I do like playing to music but for some reason seem to do not a lot of this - despite the fact this is what I used to do when I was younger. Maybe I feel it is just wasted time bashing a long to the radio? Don't know.

However, and this came up in my lesson:

Who is my favorite drummer? Ermmmm - well, not sure, I don't know of many and in fact until I started watching Drumeo I knew of none. I like Benny Greb, Thomas Pridgeon and Anika Milles - but i would hardly say I "follow" them. What music styles do I like and play? Well, actually, EDM is my passion and I don't wish to play along to it on my acoustic kit. I seperate the two entirely. In terms of music I like 80's and 90's Rock but that's probably about it and I don' listen to it much either. Never listen to Jazz, Country, Salsa, Latin etc etc etc. So actually I am not very ambitious in this respect.

I keep being asked will I play or do I want to play in a band e.t.c. Well, to be honest, I am not fussed. Maybe this comes from the fact I KNOW that I don't have the time to play in a band as I work full time and have two young kids. But I can't say I am overly excited about the prospect either, if I was I would have made big efforts to make that a reality. Maybe part of the reason is I feel I am not good enough, but, the passion to do this just isn't there.

So why am I bothering then - am I sounding like I am a weirdo and possibly taking up playing again is not suitable for me?
I drum because I am a total Hedonist. I sincerely believe that the "spirit" became the flesh to ENJOY the pleasures that the flesh alone holds, and that music, rhythm, the physical aspect of drumming, the MENTAL aspect of drumming is a good way to justify our sentience, better than anything else, in my humble opinion... But I have a lot of RAGE to use up on the drums, and that, and the sexual aspect of making women shake their naughty bits, is my best therapy besides the FLESHY kind... But also because I don't and can no longer work for "The Man" (whoever that is!) because I'm old, and ain't fast on the draw, and it always becomes an issue! ("IT TOOK YOU THAT LONG TO DO THAT????!!!!) But when I was young, of course, I did it for the love of music and the enlightened "hippie" vibe back then, and OF COURSE, to get girls to "like" me! LOL!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-23-2017, 11:51 PM
double_G's Avatar
double_G double_G is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 768
Default Re: Am I drumming for the wrong reasons?

this kinda falls into "bench racing" category of what-ifs...but i think Odd-Arne nailed it "Enjoyment is enjoyment.". and lets not forget that its none of my damned business whether you have real motivation or fake motivation on the drums. you dig it, that's enough. no one cares beyond that.

you want REAL motivation ? ANY artistic / sports pursuit that that gets you into a flow state is valid / good. that skill you can use the rest of your life as a brain focus exercise. also goes for surfing, art, writing or fighting a cougar off on a moments notice (ahem).

the other thing is that EDM "live" drumming is a new medium. you could be breaking new ground every day & selling it to video games that are currently exploding w/ EDM style themes.

Vinnie's quote on flow states: "...it's called flow. Our ability to control things and analyze things is in direct opposition to a mantra that I have: Thought is the enemy of flow. People ask me, “What do you think about when you’re playing?” The answer is basically nothing. Thought happens in a completely different way out of flow. It’s contemplative and analytical and problem solving. In flow, it’s completely different. It’s like a real-time program running in the background that doesn't interfere with what’s going on. The ability to adapt in a given moment is beyond the scope of another type of focused thought process.(from Modern Drummer, Jan 2012)"
__________________
Fortune Drums | Yamaha | Bosphorus and Sabian
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-24-2017, 12:37 AM
Red Menace's Avatar
Red Menace Red Menace is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: AZ
Posts: 2,794
Default Re: Am I drumming for the wrong reasons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizeee View Post
What music styles do I like and play? Well, actually, EDM is my passion and I don't wish to play along to it on my acoustic kit. I seperate the two entirely. In terms of music I like 80's and 90's Rock but that's probably about it and I don' listen to it much either. Never listen to Jazz, Country, Salsa, Latin etc etc etc. So actually I am not very ambitious in this respect.
That's normal. I switched from guitar to drums a few years ago. I was into Extreme Metal and thrash. Now I'm into Jazz and Roots Music. The tail wagged the dog into that one, happened so gradually I barely noticed.

Keep at it, the performance and camaraderie was always more fun for me than the actual drumming until I started getting better and found my own voice on the kit.
__________________
Classy grip all day.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-24-2017, 02:49 AM
Midnite Zephyr's Avatar
Midnite Zephyr Midnite Zephyr is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Surf City, USA
Posts: 6,298
Default Re: Am I drumming for the wrong reasons?

Dude, wherever the flow takes you, go with it. Go with the flow. There is no why. It's just because. There is no wrong, when it feels so right, tight and outta sight! Over-analyzing and compartmentalizing disrupts the primal urge that drove you to that place to begin with. So maybe you are drumming right now for the right reasons instead. Make that your reality and then reanalyze.
__________________
Drumming for fun.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-24-2017, 03:46 AM
PlayTheSong's Avatar
PlayTheSong PlayTheSong is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 253
Default Re: Am I drumming for the wrong reasons?

Doesn't sound weird to me.

1) Many, many, many drummers are kinda OCD about their kits and having everything just right. I've even chatted with people who spend so much time perfecting and restoring their kits that they never play them.

2) In terms of joining a band, with young kids it's really not an option for most dads, you're just scaling down your hobby to match the demands of this stage of your life.

3) There's a ton of us on here who returned to active drumming once our kids grew up. You may plunge into the band scene later, when you have time for such frivolous frittering of time.

So, enjoy what you enjoy and don't feel pressured to be someone else. More power to you.
__________________
Returned after 30 years. Now playing Gospel/Worship and Concert Band stuff - Big Band next?

Last edited by PlayTheSong; 02-24-2017 at 03:48 AM. Reason: corrections
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-24-2017, 03:46 AM
GruntersDad's Avatar
GruntersDad GruntersDad is offline
Administrator - Mayor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Gulf Coast Seminole, Florida
Posts: 21,630
Default Re: Am I drumming for the wrong reasons?

We all drum for different reasons. Unless you are doing it to irritate someone else, I don't know any wrong reasons. There was a thread at one time where someone questioned having/playing drums in the house and never wanting to gig. My answer was , how many people have pianos in their homes and don't ever play out. I realize not many people play drums and sing along to entertain, but still play because they just like to, or are like me and just like the sound of drums. I love playing along to music and probably spend 95% of my drum time doing just that. I wouldn't spend a lot of time dwelling on it. Please yourself and drum.
__________________
johnny
Suum cuique tribuere....
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-24-2017, 04:21 AM
DrumEatDrum's Avatar
DrumEatDrum DrumEatDrum is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 9,224
Default Re: Am I drumming for the wrong reasons?

Most people who buy a drum set due so purely for personal enjoyment.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-24-2017, 04:30 AM
Pocket-full-of-gold's Avatar
Pocket-full-of-gold Pocket-full-of-gold is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 11,197
Default Re: Am I drumming for the wrong reasons?

Gotta admit I don't really understand wanting to learn a musical instrument while being largely unmoved (or at least unmotivated) by music itself. There's a ton of other things you can do to improve technical facility and precision if music isn't a calling.

But at the end of the day, I don't have to understand it either.

Ultimately, doing something purely because you enjoy doing it, is more than enough reason for anyone.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-24-2017, 04:45 AM
ineedaclutch's Avatar
ineedaclutch ineedaclutch is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: My living room
Posts: 1,367
Default Re: Am I drumming for the wrong reasons?

As long as your drumming isn't calling for a cull of the species, you should be ok.
__________________
Get out there. Don't be a Richard.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-24-2017, 04:49 AM
brentcn brentcn is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,592
Default Re: Am I drumming for the wrong reasons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizeee View Post

So why am I bothering then - am I sounding like I am a weirdo and possibly taking up playing again is not suitable for me?
You want to get better at the instrument, which is fine, and are interested in the mechanics of it. Cool, that's enough. But don't box yourself in. Permit yourself to one day change your mind, or to grow into a new phase.

Maybe you didn't relate well to the teacher because you're not excited about playing with other musicians. It's a rare (but not wrong) thing to choose an instrument that was designed with rhythmic accompaniment in mind, solely for its technical and solo-istic aspects. Can you imagine what it sounds like to a drum teacher when you go into a lesson and say (basically) "I'm not really into music with drums, but I want to learn to play them anyway"?

So you don't have time for a band, that's fine. But to not seek out and listen to music with drums that you enjoy seems odd. Maybe you haven't looked hard enough? There's an awful lot of music out there, for free, even.

You're passionate about EDM, which is fine. What sort of music training other than drums do you have under your belt? It's possible that you've just outgrown pop music, but also never learned the language of more sophisticated stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-24-2017, 11:17 AM
Dizeee's Avatar
Dizeee Dizeee is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 399
Default Re: Am I drumming for the wrong reasons?

Thanks all I feel better already.

I do enjoy music with drums and I regularly listen to rock pop and other what I describe as general music. However my main listening passion is EDM... house... 90s drum and bass on occasion to reminisce.

My basic story is between ages 9 and 14 my whole world was drumming. At 14 I found jungle music alcohol and rebelled which meant I ended up giving up drums. At 34 with a family and a stable life I decided to get back into it. This has followed years of the calling... the daydreaming about playing and tapping rhythms out in the canteen queue at work.

So I have two different musical sides... the drums and acoustic rhythm and all that comes with it and the EDM, the decks the mixers and all that goes with that.

I would happily play with others and take part in a band... but I'm more interested in the solo side of performance... playing for say 10 minutes and moving the audience through a sequence of varying patterns and techniques whilst maintaining their interest and balancing the discipline of musicianship over showmanship. This must be a drummer thing as when I have shown friends good drum solos on YouTube thy don't seem very interested.

The one constant through all if it though is I am fundamentally excited by the instrument. I find myself gawping at my kit regularly and I feel I owe it to the kit to play it very well. I have extremely high standards and am my own worst critic.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-24-2017, 11:49 AM
mikel mikel is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Midlands. England.
Posts: 2,260
Default Re: Am I drumming for the wrong reasons?

It sounds like you are more interested in the mechanics of drumming than the musicality and feel. Nothing wrong with that, If it gives you enjoyment go for it.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-24-2017, 12:41 PM
Odd-Arne Oseberg's Avatar
Odd-Arne Oseberg Odd-Arne Oseberg is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sykkylven, Møre og Romsdal, Norway
Posts: 3,240
Default Re: Am I drumming for the wrong reasons?

Fully getting it right with teacher on the first lesson doesn't really happen unless it's a young kid who also knows what they're going to.

With grown ups it takes a while longer to feel eachother out. He/she might not even be used to teachng adults.

It really depends on where one is at.

When I work in a school and try to also work with everyone as a group I work quite differently than with a grown up who just wants to take a few lessons.

I've doone the completely wrong thing, like overloading someone with information intentionally, because that's what we had time for. THat gave them the opportunity to do their own research though and then they come back when they need help.

I've spent my share of time working on mechanics. Frankly, because of where I've lived my opportunity to play with others has been very limited. I'm mainly a teacher too though so understanding everything from every angle is my job. Most pros I know hardly have a single book. I have them all, more or less.

So it depends.

Playing things musically and controlled in a band setting, especially an improvised one is quite a different thing. You can't really focus on the technical side(though technique or mtions for the situation is also a thing) , you have to be fully inside the music. Rarery is it just one pattern to the next. Getting the flow, connecting parts of the song without loosing it, getting the right sounds and dynamic is the deal.


Then there's this: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008853456646
__________________
So, kick drum...or...bass drum? I'll tell you what. If it's 18" or less, it's a FOOT TOM.

Last edited by Odd-Arne Oseberg; 02-24-2017 at 01:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-24-2017, 12:44 PM
mikyok's Avatar
mikyok mikyok is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Tipton in the mighty Black Country
Posts: 1,456
Default Re: Am I drumming for the wrong reasons?

Nothing odd about just wanting to play at all.

I miss having the time to just play for personal enjoyment. I still love sitting on my sofa with the pad and playing away.

Cover band stuff sucks the enjoyment of playing out of me sometimes when it becomes a job and I can't be arsed with all the band politics and egos that come with original stuff never mind gigging with other bands and dealing with their bullshit.

Drumming is a journey to become the best player you can be. If you just enjoy playing go for it. I get where you're coming from totally.
__________________
I aint farting on no snare drum
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-24-2017, 02:40 PM
PorkPieGuy's Avatar
PorkPieGuy PorkPieGuy is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,885
Default Re: Am I drumming for the wrong reasons?

I'm glad you brought this up!

I know who my original inspirations were in terms of drumming when I started in the 1990s, but now, I'm not influenced by any one. There's no one I "follow," and I don't care about any certain band. There's no one I want to be "like" in terms of drumming. I don't care.

I do enjoy playing with others, but you know, a lot of those complicated licks I try to learn will NEVER be played in a band situation. It simply helps with independence, but I'll never be in a place where I'll ever play the Purdie Shuffle although I've been working on it for a couple of years now. I think as long as you're playing and enjoying your instrument, who cares what your intent is.

I've been playing in bands and at churches for over 20 years, and I'll be the first to tell you this:

Playing with others is sometimes more of a pain than what it's worth.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-24-2017, 02:59 PM
Bonzo_CR's Avatar
Bonzo_CR Bonzo_CR is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: A Brit living in Switzerland
Posts: 800
Default Re: Am I drumming for the wrong reasons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizeee View Post
Thanks all I feel better already.

I do enjoy music with drums and I regularly listen to rock pop and other what I describe as general music. However my main listening passion is EDM... house... 90s drum and bass on occasion to reminisce.

So I have two different musical sides... the drums and acoustic rhythm and all that comes with it and the EDM, the decks the mixers and all that goes with that.

The one constant through all if it though is I am fundamentally excited by the instrument. I find myself gawping at my kit regularly and I feel I owe it to the kit to play it very well.
I agree, all good reasons!

As a digression, I wonder what you would think of Jojo Mayer's band 'Nerve'. They do a great job of combining live drums with experimental electronic music. Sounds a bit like EDM at times, but it's all played live. It's not to everyone's taste, but it does combine those two different worlds with an interesting outcome. If you're interested, start with the latest album 'Ghosts of Tomorrow' which is the most accessible IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-24-2017, 03:15 PM
Infamous Beater Infamous Beater is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 55
Default Re: Am I drumming for the wrong reasons?

When I returned to drumming after a long absence--from age 12 to 49--my only goal was to be able to keep the beat decently along to AC/DC in my basement.

Over just a few months, lessons led to playing (at least practicing) with other guys, which is great fun, and I've built up a pretty good repertoire playing along to drumless tracks in my basement, though AC/DC is definitely harder than it sounds.

I get tremendous joy out of it, and I think it's become a bigger part of my life than I ever expected... When I get to practice or play, that's usually the best part of my day.

I've also spent enough time on these forums to become convinced that there's a sizable contingent of the drumming population who are just pure gear nerds. Their drumming can't possibly be as good as their ability to identify non-original mounting arms or know the lifespan of a particular Ludwig label. But, their ability to identify vintage drums or discuss laminate compositions or what year Slingerland produced a particular wrap color is hugely impressive.

Call me crazy, but as much as I love drumming, I just can't work up any interest in the plastic that surrounds a particular drum... I'd be happy to play a set that didn't match in the slightest, if it sounded good, and I'm willing to wager than less than 3 percent of any audience would ever notice or care.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-24-2017, 03:27 PM
GetAgrippa's Avatar
GetAgrippa GetAgrippa is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: U.S.
Posts: 2,398
Default Re: Am I drumming for the wrong reasons?

Never thought about it-it was just my nature. My Dad bought a nice Ludwig kit and I was 8 years old and jumped on it. The music of the times (60s) wasn't that challenging (except "wipe out" was tiring as some Beach boy tunes)-hey even a third grader could do it lol. Never thought about what I was playing more so listening and emulating others-or just finding what sounded good for the music being made at the moment. Never had an interest in the "technical aspects" of drumming (just wanted to enhance and blend in with the music) till I started visiting here, which I now admit was a weakness needing addressing. However still my nature is to jump on the drums and react to the music-it drives me I don't drive it. I know suppose to be other way around. I play cause I its my nature and I enjoy it-this April it will be 54 years. Have had lots of "hobbies" come and go but I've always come back to drumming-played solid from 8-23 then 16 years off more than on, and finally the last 23 pretty much play every day. I just enjoying playing, plan to play as long as I can, and even though I may suck-I don't really care nor see what that has to do with it. But hey I do have my moments-the caveat being even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once and a while.
__________________
"Only play the notes when required!"
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-24-2017, 03:45 PM
brentcn brentcn is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,592
Default Re: Am I drumming for the wrong reasons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizeee View Post
I would happily play with others and take part in a band... but I'm more interested in the solo side of performance... playing for say 10 minutes and moving the audience through a sequence of varying patterns and techniques whilst maintaining their interest and balancing the discipline of musicianship over showmanship. This must be a drummer thing as when I have shown friends good drum solos on YouTube thy don't seem very interested.
Yeah, only drummers are going to watch a solo on YouTube, unless there are other factors involved. Even then, there's no shortage of drum solos there, so any solo had better be ridiculously good. Like it or not, it's music, played by attractive and interesting performers, that interests most people. Also, don't look down on showmanship; it's been part of the drum set since its birth. If your audience is small, or nonexistent, try to understand why.

What we're also learning is that you have, except for drums, almost zero music education. Drummers, for the most part, can appreciate Jungle; at its core it's James Brown grooves sped up (Clyde Stubblefield just passed, btw). Where's your education in melody and harmony? You wonder why you're not interested in making music, and it's probably because you don't know very much about what goes into it.

You can (and should) explore the technical aspects of drumming, but ultimately, there's really no separating the drum set from music. Even clinicians will play along to tracks in order to demonstrate the context of their playing. Do you think you can just practice a lot for a few years, and eventually have more to offer on technique than Jojo Mayer, who has been performing regularly since he could barely walk? Benny Greb sings and plays other instruments on his records; Gregg Bissonette can easily get gigs as a trumpet player; Chick Corea is a nasty jazz drummer in addition to being a world class pianist/composer/improviser; Dave Weckl and Steve Jordan both play bass well enough to record tracks if needed.

If you gain a ton of facility and skill, but you package it in a way that doesn't resonate with other drummers or musicians, what have you really achieved? Possibly, you will have invented your own language that no one cares to understand.

Get some piano or guitar lessons, and learn some songs! Appreciate music from a perspective other than drumming. I don't want to extinguish what passion you have for the instrument, but certain reasons for playing last longer than others.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-24-2017, 03:45 PM
drummer-russ's Avatar
drummer-russ drummer-russ is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: St. Peters Mo
Posts: 1,173
Default Re: Am I drumming for the wrong reasons?

No wrong reasons, no wrong goals, no wrong application. It will do you good to play, mentally and physically and if it also is something you enjoy, no matter how you do it, go for it!
__________________
Playing live in front of appreciative audience is the 2nd best thing in the world!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-24-2017, 03:49 PM
brentcn brentcn is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,592
Default Re: Am I drumming for the wrong reasons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzo_CR View Post
I agree, all good reasons!

As a digression, I wonder what you would think of Jojo Mayer's band 'Nerve'. They do a great job of combining live drums with experimental electronic music. Sounds a bit like EDM at times, but it's all played live. It's not to everyone's taste, but it does combine those two different worlds with an interesting outcome. If you're interested, start with the latest album 'Ghosts of Tomorrow' which is the most accessible IMO.
Was hoping someone would bring this up. Interestingly, Jojo freely admits that he learned to play not by studying EDM, but jazz. From his DVD: "It's a way for me to play things that I've learned over the last 20 years or so, that no one wants to hear at a jazz concert anymore."
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-24-2017, 04:46 PM
mikel mikel is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Midlands. England.
Posts: 2,260
Default Re: Am I drumming for the wrong reasons?

I could sit in the house and just play for enjoyment, but my "Playing just for enjoyment" would be playing along to music I love for hour after hour. The mechanics of drumming hold no interest for me they are merely a by product of making music with others, or playing along to music.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-24-2017, 10:13 PM
MoreBeer's Avatar
MoreBeer MoreBeer is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 531
Default Re: Am I drumming for the wrong reasons?

My reason for drumming (again) is that after many years (somewhere around 15 years I guess) I suddenly missed playing. After years of playing bass guitar mostly, one day in February of 2016 I woke up and just decided to get back into it. As I started played drums as a child of 3-4 years old, it was odd that I suddenly stopped.

Now I've discovered that I own far too many basses and actually sold a few of my most coveted ones. So, I've pretty much recovered the $$$ spent on the new drum obsession along with related things such as studio gear.

I must admit, its been fun. Even for a grumpy 56 year old Jersey Guy such as myself.
__________________
The road to success and the road to failure are almost exactly the same.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-24-2017, 11:26 PM
Dizeee's Avatar
Dizeee Dizeee is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 399
Default Re: Am I drumming for the wrong reasons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikyok View Post

Drumming is a journey to become the best player you can be.
That struck a chord. That's exactly what I am doing, and I am purposefully seeking out stuff that is hard, technical and probably not that nice to listen to on it's own. More than just "playing to music". I know I can do that already, maybe not to a huge range of styles, but, I can still play convincingly to pretty much anything. Whether its as good as I want it to be is a different story.

Why seek out hard stuff? - because - when I then sit down and play freestyle, that effort and work should come through and enhance what I play.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-24-2017, 11:43 PM
Dizeee's Avatar
Dizeee Dizeee is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 399
Default Re: Am I drumming for the wrong reasons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentcn View Post
Yeah, only drummers are going to watch a solo on YouTube, unless there are other factors involved. Even then, there's no shortage of drum solos there, so any solo had better be ridiculously good. Like it or not, it's music, played by attractive and interesting performers, that interests most people. Also, don't look down on showmanship; it's been part of the drum set since its birth. If your audience is small, or nonexistent, try to understand why.

What we're also learning is that you have, except for drums, almost zero music education. Drummers, for the most part, can appreciate Jungle; at its core it's James Brown grooves sped up (Clyde Stubblefield just passed, btw). Where's your education in melody and harmony? You wonder why you're not interested in making music, and it's probably because you don't know very much about what goes into it.

You can (and should) explore the technical aspects of drumming, but ultimately, there's really no separating the drum set from music. Even clinicians will play along to tracks in order to demonstrate the context of their playing. Do you think you can just practice a lot for a few years, and eventually have more to offer on technique than Jojo Mayer, who has been performing regularly since he could barely walk? Benny Greb sings and plays other instruments on his records; Gregg Bissonette can easily get gigs as a trumpet player; Chick Corea is a nasty jazz drummer in addition to being a world class pianist/composer/improviser; Dave Weckl and Steve Jordan both play bass well enough to record tracks if needed.

If you gain a ton of facility and skill, but you package it in a way that doesn't resonate with other drummers or musicians, what have you really achieved? Possibly, you will have invented your own language that no one cares to understand.

Get some piano or guitar lessons, and learn some songs! Appreciate music from a perspective other than drumming. I don't want to extinguish what passion you have for the instrument, but certain reasons for playing last longer than others.
(Insert clap smiley here)

Totally and utterly where I am at. Everything you say is on the money.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-25-2017, 01:20 AM
JustJames's Avatar
JustJames JustJames is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 2,872
Default Re: Am I drumming for the wrong reasons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizeee View Post
...
I would happily play with others and take part in a band... but I'm more interested in the solo side of performance... playing for say 10 minutes and moving the audience through a sequence of varying patterns and techniques whilst maintaining their interest ...
Playing music with others is what it's all about.

Don't get me wrong: If you get your rocks off playing solo patterns while moving through a sequence of varying patterns and techniques, fill your boots.

Real music, whether it be supposedly simple (AC/DC have already been mentioned in this thread, and they're a good example) or intellectually mathy prog stuff, is all about the whole being more than the sum of the parts.

I'm not even remotely surprised that your friends aren't interested in watching YT vids of drum solos. I'm a drummer, and I'd rather stick knitting needles up my nose than watch drum solos, live or on YT.

There is something utterly wonderful that happens when a bunch of peeps go into a room and music happens. It's the second best thing in the world, and definitely the most fun you can have with your trousers on.

But if you find you're getting something else out of drumming, go for your life!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-25-2017, 01:56 AM
Ghostnote
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Am I drumming for the wrong reasons?

I was thinking about this the other day. For some reason people feel they have to validate why and how well they play an instrument. Why? If someone enjoys building models, they don't have to justify their enjoyment or skill level of their passtime. If someone is an avid movie-goer, they don't have to prove how well they can critique movies. But when it comes to music, it's different. Weird.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 02-25-2017, 03:42 AM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 5,521
Default Re: Am I drumming for the wrong reasons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostnote View Post
I was thinking about this the other day. For some reason people feel they have to validate why and how well they play an instrument. Why? If someone enjoys building models, they don't have to justify their enjoyment or skill level of their passtime. If someone is an avid movie-goer, they don't have to prove how well they can critique movies. But when it comes to music, it's different. Weird.
It is weird. I think because we feel that music and how we play is closer to who we are inside. It's universal and people have heard enough of it to have a more informed opinion than for model building and the like.

It's also said that most people believe they are better than average at driving and sex, which are also fairly universal.
__________________
Bandcamp

Soundcloud
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-25-2017, 06:25 AM
Dr_Watso's Avatar
Dr_Watso Dr_Watso is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,963
Default Re: Am I drumming for the wrong reasons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
It's also said that most people believe they are better than average at driving and sex, which are also fairly universal.
Yup, everyone thinks they're great at it until they're driving down the road at 60 miles an hour and realize how hard it is to take off your pants while you steer.
__________________
"I always wanted to be remembered for; being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn." - Lemmy
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-25-2017, 06:58 AM
JustJames's Avatar
JustJames JustJames is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 2,872
Default Re: Am I drumming for the wrong reasons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
It's also said that most people believe they are better than average at driving and sex, which are also fairly universal.
And the truth is that 50% are below average!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-25-2017, 12:29 PM
Odd-Arne Oseberg's Avatar
Odd-Arne Oseberg Odd-Arne Oseberg is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sykkylven, Møre og Romsdal, Norway
Posts: 3,240
Default Re: Am I drumming for the wrong reasons?

Average person... drum solo....

That requires Tommy Lee, Chip Ritter, Steve Moore and stuff like that.

When I play, what's entertaining except the groove is eventual different percussion toys I might use.

In the right jazzy setting, with a live audience, sure then the crowd came there for that, but even then.

I love myself some of the Vinnie stuff, but Mr. Lang pretty mauch has me yawning. The average person wouldn't hear the difference between the two. They'd feel the difference when they're driving a band, though.

It's the weekend now. Most Norwegians are watching skiing. I couldn't really care less. I got myself some similar snacks, but traded the TV for for some Wilcoxon.
__________________
So, kick drum...or...bass drum? I'll tell you what. If it's 18" or less, it's a FOOT TOM.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-25-2017, 03:34 PM
deeby deeby is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Near Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 22
Default Re: Am I drumming for the wrong reasons?

Hey OP, you are drumming for exactly the right reasons. IMO, there is no such thing as a real drummer, or an authentic drummer, or a correct reason for drumming, or real music for that matter. Your value system is yours, and somebody else's is theirs. They are both valid. If somebody insists that what they believe or enjoy is more believable or enjoyable than what you believe and enjoy, they're merely revealing an insecurity and are attempting to dominate you to somehow legitimize their value system. Just my opinion. It's how I see things. It's just this type of behaviour that might make you feel like a weirdo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
Playing music with others is what it's all about.

Don't get me wrong: If you get your rocks off playing solo patterns while moving through a sequence of varying patterns and techniques, fill your boots.

Real music, whether it be supposedly simple (AC/DC have already been mentioned in this thread, and they're a good example) or intellectually mathy prog stuff, is all about the whole being more than the sum of the parts.

I'm not even remotely surprised that your friends aren't interested in watching YT vids of drum solos. I'm a drummer, and I'd rather stick knitting needles up my nose than watch drum solos, live or on YT.

There is something utterly wonderful that happens when a bunch of peeps go into a room and music happens. It's the second best thing in the world, and definitely the most fun you can have with your trousers on.

But if you find you're getting something else out of drumming, go for your life!
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-03-2017, 12:43 AM
Daisy Daisy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 176
Default Re: Am I drumming for the wrong reasons?

Bit late in this thread, but so good to read the story of another "weirdo" !

The mechanics of drumming was what interested me when I started. How do they move their hands that quickly? How do they make that sound? How do you get two hits on the bass drum that fast, with just one foot?

My first teacher asked me the same questions:

"Which drummers do you like?" At the time I only knew the names of two, John Bonham and Keith Moon.

"What sort of music do you listen to?" I didn't, much. Still don't, much. I'm not one of those that always has music playing, and I rarely go to gigs/concerts.

"Do you want to play in a band?" Yeah, right. I was 55 at the time (although I have played in bands since, but discovered I am not cut out to perform).

I didn't consider myself as musical, and regarded the whole thing as an exercise in seeing how far I could get starting from scratch ate in life with zero talent. Still, I have enjoyed it.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03-03-2017, 08:05 AM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 5,521
Default Re: Am I drumming for the wrong reasons?

Just getting back to the OP, I was in the "muso ego" digression last post :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizeee View Post
So why am I bothering then - am I sounding like I am a weirdo and possibly taking up playing again is not suitable for me?
I quit playing in bands a couple of years ago. I'm over gigging these days but not over playing drums. Back in the day a friend's mum used to play piano at home. Not to anyone, just because she enjoyed it. I feel similarly these days. Plus a little jamming and home recording for sihts and giggles.
__________________
Bandcamp

Soundcloud
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 03-03-2017, 08:19 AM
Midnite Zephyr's Avatar
Midnite Zephyr Midnite Zephyr is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Surf City, USA
Posts: 6,298
Default Re: Am I drumming for the wrong reasons?

I'm getting to the point where I just want to create my own music and drum to it instead of joining another band. I can use my GarageBand app on my phone and create something cool in less than an hour.
__________________
Drumming for fun.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-03-2017, 10:41 AM
Boomka Boomka is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,329
Default Re: Am I drumming for the wrong reasons?

Whether they're 5 or 55, I ask nearly every single one of my students the same question when we have our first lesson. I preface it by saying that there are no wrong answers. I ask,

"Why do you want to play drums? Why not piano or saxaphone or football or tiddlywinks?"

I tell them that they may have to return to that question periodically and answer it for themselves and it can be good to remember the reasons you started in the first place.

Periodically, if I see one of them flagging or seeming to lose interest, I'll ask them again. Often I'll tell them that I don't even want them to tell me the answer and that whether they have one or not immediately, to just let the question percolate in their brains for awhile and see what happens.

We have to have a reason, because the fire has to come from somewhere. But your reasons might not be my reasons and that's okay. But know your reasons and shape your aims accordingly.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 03-03-2017, 01:13 PM
mikel mikel is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Midlands. England.
Posts: 2,260
Default Re: Am I drumming for the wrong reasons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomka View Post
Whether they're 5 or 55, I ask nearly every single one of my students the same question when we have our first lesson. I preface it by saying that there are no wrong answers. I ask,

"Why do you want to play drums? Why not piano or saxaphone or football or tiddlywinks?"

I tell them that they may have to return to that question periodically and answer it for themselves and it can be good to remember the reasons you started in the first place.

Periodically, if I see one of them flagging or seeming to lose interest, I'll ask them again. Often I'll tell them that I don't even want them to tell me the answer and that whether they have one or not immediately, to just let the question percolate in their brains for awhile and see what happens.

We have to have a reason, because the fire has to come from somewhere. But your reasons might not be my reasons and that's okay. But know your reasons and shape your aims accordingly.
I have never had to ask myself that question. I started playing cos I was always tapping on things. If music was playing I was mentally playing it or tapping out the rhythm. Playing with others and making music was the ONLY goal, ever.

I may be a drummer but I am a musician first. To me drums on there own mean nothing, as the driving force behind a song they are crucial.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com