tom tuning quickie...

phil_qc

Hi !

Ok so: both heads tuned to the same = two tones when hard hitting because
of the deformation of the batter head by the sticks...

Now to get rid of the "taaooounn" sound, the two tones sound: I tuned the reso head
just a bit higher (1/8 of a turn on the tuning rods)...

Is is the correct way to do it ?

I know the the double note cannot be eard by
the audiance but for me behind the set, it's an other story...
Maybe my drum will loose a bit of projection... but not much...

Any comment is welcome...

Thanks !

Philippe

I like tuning the reso head an octave higher than the batter. I think it makes a punchier sound

Tuning the resonant head an octave higher is extreme. That's alot of notes and I don't think I could even tune the heads that high on my kit. A common practice is to tune the resonant head a minor third higher in pitch than the top head. You have to know what pitch your top head is tuned to by listening to the note produced when you tap near a lug. Then just tune the bottom head 3 notes higher, tapping near a lug to get the pitch. If you want a detailed explaination of this technique, go to the tom tuning thread and start looking around post #67. You should get a nice punchy, round sound with a decreased amount of sustained ringing from the toms.

Hi !

Ok so: both heads tuned to the same = two tones when hard hitting because
of the deformation of the batter head by the sticks...

Now to get rid of the "taaooounn" sound, the two tones sound: I tuned the reso head
just a bit higher (1/8 of a turn on the tuning rods)...

Is is the correct way to do it ?

I know the the double note cannot be eard by
the audiance but for me behind the set, it's an other story...
Maybe my drum will loose a bit of projection... but not much...

Any comment is welcome...

Thanks !

Philippe

I don't agree with your initial premise. If you think you get a detune from the stick impact, you are getting a huge pitch variation by intentionally pitching up the reso head.

Drums will always have more sustain (and are usually louder) with both heads the same. You might not like all that sustain, but if you play out unmiked it makes your drums sound much better.

Raising the reso will shorten the sustain and add a pitch-bend. You can easily experiment by gradually increasing tension on the reso and seeing what it does to the sound.

I find I like the pitch bend--for about five minutes. Then it becomes annoying. YMMV

i agree that toms should not be deadened, i tuned my drums today and i love my toms!
it has this little ring and the feel of stick is really good. plus it makes your drum sing which is what toms are for in the first place. its alive and sounds like edward cullen. wee.

Back