Ludwig Tom Mounts

Alec

Hey guys

Just wanted your opinions on Ludwig Tom Mounts.

What are your favorites and what have worked for you?

I've had experience with their standard classic mounts and their modular mounts, and I much prefer the classic ones. The modular ones were too big and heavy (they did debut in the late 70s when weight seemed to be the thing back then). I have zero experience with their new Atlas mounts but from what I've heard, it's very solid.

Personally, I only have one rack tom, so I've been mounting my 13" tom in a snare stand.

I've had experience with the classic 9.5 mm mounts, the current Atlas mounts, and the 1" Modular mounts. I completely agree with Bo -- the Modular hardware was from a time when heavier was thought better, no matter what it did to the resonance of the shell. Back when very few people slammed their drums the way we do nowadays, 9.5 mm was acceptable, but nowadays nobody uses 9.5 mm mounts. 10.5 mm and 12.7 mm are more standard. Whether they actually work better is negotiable.

I put a 3-ply 13" tom on an Atlas mount rather than using the stock shell-mounted bracket or a RIMS-type suspension mount. Not only can I retune it and change heads without hassle, and the tom has plenty of tone and sustain. They're only slightly pricier than buying a RIMS and a tom bracket, and worth it.

Go with the new Atlas brackets they do not cut sustain or resonance and are clean looking and have a separate insert for 9.5mm L-rod if needed.

I put a 3-ply 13" tom on an Atlas mount rather than using the stock shell-mounted bracket or a RIMS-type suspension mount. Not only can I retune it and change heads without hassle, and the tom has plenty of tone and sustain. They're only slightly pricier than buying a RIMS and a tom bracket, and worth it.

I just did the same, on a modded 3 ply Slingerland tom, and had the same positive outcome.
I was really impressed with this mount - the quality of build etc.

I went with the Keystone mounts on my floor tom. They appear more solidthan the classic style lug from an engineering point of view, but don't add as much total diameter to the drum's size. The Atlas for floor toms would make putting floor toms into cases a real PITA that I wanted to avoid. The Keystone mounts push it a little as far as the total size thing, but it still fits in the right size Protection Racket bag, so we are good.

I have no mounting hardware on my rack tom. But I ordered it that way because I knew that if I changed my mind, I would just use the Atlas mount.

So in short: Atlas for toms. Something besides Atlas for floor toms.

Back