Looking for some quality DVD's and Books

Jrum

Hey all, this is one of my first posts and I have to say this website is great, especially the DrumClinic. I would like to know the opinion and suggestions of other superior drummers and any experienced drummers on a few DVD's + Books.

I am looking to expand my drumming technique (especially hands) and other skills. I already have Unburying the Beater, Secret Weapons for the Modern Drummer, Great Hands for a Lifetime and Bass Drum Technique for the Modern Drummer. Although this is definitely a lot to work on, I am thinking of getting other books that I haven't purchased yet.

I am planning on buying Stick Control and New Breed.

Does anyone have any experience with the following and if so, which would you recommend the most?

-Extreme Interdependence

- Creative Control

- Master Studies

-Advanced Techniques for the Modern Drummer

-Speed,Power,Control and Endurance

Are there any other books or DVD's you would recommend? Why? What should I start on?

Also; I have been playing for 4 years (mostly self-taught) and am willing to practice as much as needed and more.

Thanks in advance for taking time to answer,

Jrum

Stick Control, Syncopation and New Breed are classics. Replace "Advanced Techniques" with John Riley's "Art of Bop Drumming" and "Beyond Bop Drumming". I didn't like Creative Control. The exercises seem gimmicky and mechanical, and most of the stuff isn't applicable in a musical setting unless you're Thomas Lang or Marco Minnemann.

If you're serious, you should get at least a few lessons with a quality teacher.

Thanks for the quick response, I already have the John Riley book. I am sure to get New Breed. Do you know about the sequel?

There are lots of great performance videos dating back a fair while but the best instructional DVD I've had to date is Benny Greb's. chad smith's red hoy rhythm method is also a classic.

Sorry for double posting but I have one questions:

If anyone had to choose between Syncopation, Advanced Technique or Master Studies, which would you choose and why?

Thanks

And it seems Marco Minneman's book isn't a good option?

My choice between these 3 books would be Master Studies because I find that John Riley's book are a better choice than Advanced Technique and Syncopation. I've never really used Advanced Technique. I've used Syncopation a bit when working on the Alan Dawson book, which is great. Master Studies is a really good book for hand technique but I think it is better to work on it with a teacher who understands it. Still would be my choice.

The Marco Minnemann book is good but to me, it is like a very advanced New Breed. So start with the New Breed and when it's done (is it ever?), go try Marco's book.

I also like the Charley Wilcoxon books for snare drumming (mostly Modern Rudimental Swing Solos). I find it develops good chops for overall drumset playing. Very rudimental sounding, a bit like Steve Gadd and Philly Joe Jones might do.

And get yourself the Groove Essentials book by Tommy Igoe, it is also very good to develop groove playing and also learn about different styles and how to play them with songs. The play alongs coming with that book are the best I've heard in a while.

Hope this helps,

Daniel

www.danielbedarddrums.com/en/

My choice between these 3 books would be Master Studies because I find that John Riley's book are a better choice than Advanced Technique and Syncopation.

Joe Morello ?

..... Syncopation and Advanced Techniques are completely different type of books with completely different applications than Master Studies and is a bit like comparing apples to burritos

Master Studies is more like an extension of Stick Control .

Syncopation and AT are quite different from each other as well

anyone who doesn't own these...... especially Syncopation and Master Studies has a huge gap in their book collection

Syncopation literally has endless applications

I meant:

My choice between these 3 books would be Master Studies by Joe Morello because it is a very good book on hand technique. I think that John Riley's book are a better choice than Advanced Technique and Syncopation when you want to work on your jazz drumming.

I phrased that a bit weirdly, sorry for that. Coffee wasn't in yet.

Joe Morello ?

Thanks for detailed replies
I already ave the GE book, very good. Erm, would Henry Adler's Buddy Rich Snare Drum Rudiments be an OK replacement for Master Studies? I have a limited budget and I have ruled out Extreme Interdepence for a later date, after completing New Breed. Also, Stick Control seems like a good way to improve 4 way co ordination.

It seems like it would be good idea to go through Stick Control before buying Master Studies. Can techniques in Secret Weapons be applied in the exercises of Stick Control.

Finally, between Syncopation and Advanced Techniques, what would you choose. They seems quite similar.

Any other choices you would recommend for practicing coordination, fills/patterns. Also, how would anybody go about creating or modifying a technique? Does anybody know of a video that shows a person playing a full bass drum triplet on a single pedal.

Final Finally, how about the DVD; Power, Speed, Control and Endurance?

I meant:

My choice between these 3 books would be Master Studies by Joe Morello because it is a very good book on hand technique. I think that John Riley's book are a better choice than Advanced Technique and Syncopation when you want to work on your jazz drumming.

I phrased that a bit weirdly, sorry for that. Coffee wasn't in yet.

ah...now that I read it that way it totally makes sense

For your hands (and feet) definitely get Stick Control - that's a starting point. From there check out Accents and Rebounds - then you'll be ready for Master Studies....

Rudiments are essential - Definitely the Wilcoxon books - Rudimental Swings Solos and the All American Drummer. Also Pratt's The Pratt Book and 14 Modern Contest Solos.

For jazz, Advanced Techniques is another classic book. Jim Blackley's Essence of Jazz Drumming is a must.

I'm not sure what kind of music you play, but to work on anything with a backbeat - check out Gary Chaffee's Time Functioning Patterns - highly, highly recommended. For other technique type things, Gary's other Patterns books are also great.

For DVDs - I like Steve Jordan's Groove is Here, Billy Ward's Big Time and Voices in My Head.

What turned my life and drumming around was to get a really good teacher. When I started lessons with Dom Famularo, he took me through a compandium of books but what made the difference, was his personal instruction, looking at my hands, helpng me see minor and major problems so they could be corrected.

Before getting anything else, I would at the very least get a book about hand technique. Secret Weapons is one such resource but it quickly gets into advanced material and I worry that you will not spend enough time on the basics. It's your Move by Dom is a really good technique book.

Master Studies, New Breed, the Riley material are all fantastic books but they assume you already know how best to hit the drum. If you go through Stick Control on yur own, you will play a lot but there is much to be said for aving a teacher show you the fundamentals. I know it is an investment and can be intimidating and uncomfortable but it will also be an experience of a lifetime.

Many great teachers, including Dom, offer skype lessons. Bill Bachmann is one more that I know about and he seems like a very good teacher, plus he posts here.

Hope this helps as well as the other great posts here.

Casper

Last edited:
Thanks a lot everyone for all choices, I am buying Stick Control, New Breed and Its Your Move. Tanks for all the great advice

Casper makes a great point - hooking up with a great teacher can be really helpful. I also study with Dom, and I thought I knew "Stick Control", ''Accents and Rebounds", etc But it's been great going through the books with someone who really knows how to play those exercises as they were intended to be played...

Sorry, one last question:

I have now got New Breed.

Do you play ALL the melodies for each system?

And after learning the melodies and system, can you swap the melody instrument?

EG- BD Melody on System 2

Left Foot HH Melody and BD quarter notes?

Thanks

Sorry, one last question:

I have now got New Breed.

Do you play ALL the melodies for each system?

And after learning the melodies and system, can you swap the melody instrument?

EG- BD Melody on System 2

Left Foot HH Melody and BD quarter notes?

Thanks

I asked a similar question a few years ago but I can't find it know. It's my own post...ugh

Anyway, to be clear are you asking...

Option 1: System 1 with Melody 1, then Melody 2, Melody 3, etc.

Option 2: System 1 with Melody 1, then System 2 with Melody 1, System 3 with Melody 1, etc.

Since I can't find my question from back then I'm going to rely in my memory. It seems the response said it doesn't matter.

Perhaps try both. Mix it up.

Option 1

I think if someone did Option 2, although the systems vary, it would get boring playing the same rhythm. Mix it up sounds good but it might be slightly random, so you may not be able to play every melody for each system.

Perhaps Option 1 but mix the order of the melodies?

Back