Hearing protection?

For the last 10+ years I have been using the Westone Custom Made ES49's plugs with the easy to pop in and out (but not fall out accidentally) Etymotic ER-15 Filter. The ER-15 provides a uniform flat 15 dB of sound reduction from 125 Hz through 8 kHz.

There are other filters available that block more or less sound. The 15's are the most appropriate for musicians.

Mine are clear in color and it's hard for anyone to see they are even in.

What does something like that cost?

Move the backline amps forward and adjust your monitor for your personal needs. If the guitar amp is in back of you and too loud ask him to move it forward so you can live your life pain free. If he won't move it for him and/or find musicians to work with who care about one anothers needs. Drums move back backline moves forward, easy and done!! Doc

I use 3M FirePlugs at practice. For gigs, nothing.

I use 3M FirePlugs at practice. For gigs, nothing.

Gigs are often much louder. In the past I was guilty of this too but I've certainly changed my tune in the few years since purely because the ringing in my ears was so bad that I couldn't sleep. Fortunately I didn't do it for too long and my hearing is still better than average.

I do agree completely that gigs are louder. I cut concrete for 7 years, and didnt use hearing protection for about 3 of those 7 years, so my hearing has been damaged for the better part of 4-5 years. The ringing is always constant(see tinnitus). The ringing doesnt last very long after a gig, depending on how close I am to the stage for the other bands, and the size of the venure were playing that night.

I have family with Meniere's disease so I know all about tinnitus! I would still advise you to wear hearing protection at gigs (especially if it's more than once a month or so) or else what hearing you have left will just get worse. I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I lost my hearing.

...digging up an old thread.....

I need crash cymbals pretty bad, but I needed these guys even worse:

Just got them yesterday.

Attachments

• plugs.jpg
    plugs.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 922
Hearing Protection- What R U all using nowadays?

Did some research here and found this to be a popular option so I picked some up:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=735112&Q=&is=REG&A=details

I use these when I'm jamming alone or along with a song that's amplified in the studio.

I can tell that the volume level has dropped when I use them, and the frequency ranges are still somewhat clear. Almost too clear that I wonder if they actually are helping?

What do you all use nowadays if you're playing alone?

*These are the Etymotic ER20's

Last edited:
I've been using the Norton Lee Sonic Ear Valves since the 70s, if I'm not using some sort of in-ear monitoring. I've got something like 10 pairs of them. They don't make them anymore, apparently, but there's something similar out there: http://www.earplugstore.com/health-enterprises-acu-life-impact-ear-plugs.html . Basically $10, and they've worked well for me for years. I also got a set of their small silicone molds for my wife, so there at least used to be different sizes. These are really old school, but they work pretty well: they aren't the highest attenuation, but they do allow you to hear conversation pretty well. Any custom mold will beat them- but your mileage may vary...

I will be attending the local Big Beat this November and those can't be attended without ear protection. I have been using the ear plugs that can be bought in a music store which seem to work ok, but I also plan to listen to some music through some isolation head phones. Can/should these be used together or should I take out the ear plugs when I use the head phones?

I will be attending the local Big Beat this November and those can't be attended without ear protection. I have been using the ear plugs that can be bought in a music store which seem to work ok, but I also plan to listen to some music through some isolation head phones. Can/should these be used together or should I take out the ear plugs when I use the head phones?

Where/when will you be using the head phones? At your music event?

What have you guys found that has a high NRR (at least 25??) and still gives clarity of your frequencies? (without muffling them)

Back