I go through sticks more than I do TV Dinners.

icedgreece

Trust me, I eat a lot of TV Dinners.

I bought some Zildjian 5B's about a month ago when I bought my AAX X-Plosion crashes and Raw Bell Dry Ride. I bought 4 pairs, I now have one stick left over.

I play more along the lines of heavy metal (not death screams) to blues and jazz. But I've been going through sticks more than a prostitute goes through condoms. Is there a "Sturdier" brand than Zildjian? I used to use thicker sticks (can't remember the size) but I started to use 5B and they felt great. I am a harder hitter, but I hit the cymbals with good technique.

Thanks guys.

I have had two pair of Zildjian sticks and have found them to be very weak. I would try Regal Tip. They make both wood and nylon tipped sticks.

Go to Musician's Friend and check out Pulse sticks. They are Vater sticks with cosmetic blemishes. I bought six pairs for $20, and I used the most blemished ones first. They held up as well as any sticks I have ever used since 1969. Next time I need sticks, I am going to buy twelve pairs for $30. Peace and goodwill.

I have had two pair of Zildjian sticks and have found them to be very weak. I would try Regal Tip. They make both wood and nylon tipped sticks.

I noticed that my Vic Firth sticks held up better. Weird, since they were cheaper.

Go to Musician's Friend and check out Pulse sticks. They are Vater sticks with cosmetic blemishes. I bought six pairs for $20, and I used the most blemished ones first. They held up as well as any sticks I have ever used since 1969. Next time I need sticks, I am going to buy twelve pairs for $30. Peace and goodwill.

What kind of blemishes are we talking? Will they affect durability?

Did you even read my post? "Cosmetic" means visual. I said that they hold up as well as any other stick I have played since 1969. Why would I recommend them if they weren't durable? Read the consumer reviews at Musician's Friend. One of them is mine.

In summary: they have visual blemishes, and they are quite durable.

Peace and goodwill.

Did you even read my post? "Cosmetic" means visual. I said that they hold up as well as any other stick I have played since 1969. Why would I recommend them if they weren't durable? Read the consumer reviews at Musician's Friend. One of them is mine.

In summary: they have visual blemishes, and they are quite durable.

Peace and goodwill.

Just double checking. I misunderstood, and it was completely my fault. Just being a idiot that I am, so I apologize.

I will give them a shot. Thank you.

Edit*
They want $30 for shipping. I don't think I'll purchase them now, I'd rather buy better quality sticks for that price. Not to mention they would probably nail me with customs. Always do.

What are some other good sticks?

Last edited:
I use a variety of Vic Firth, Pro-Mark and Vater sticks. But, if I remember correctly, my wife bought me a pair of Washburn sticks for $1 in a blue cardboard sleeve several years ago at the flea market, and they weren't bad. They were unfinished with a very rough feel. I really liked the natural feel of the wood grain. They felt similar to the size and feel of Peter Erskine (regular-not the ride) sticks. I never found them at the flea market after that, but I am happy with what I use now so I have not searched for them. I have seen sticks under Washburn Lyon on eBay.

I dunno, I've played Vics, Pro Marks, Zildjian's, Regal Tip and who knows what else?.

I havent noticed a real difference in durability between the big name stick brands.

I always play Hickory though because maple sticks are too light for me and oak sticks just explode when I play them.

Maybe you just need to go up to 2B's

It doesn't matter what size sticks you get if they're Vaters. Seriously, one pair should last you at least 3 months if you went through Zildjian sticks that fast.

There's still such a thing as TV dinners?

I remember my mother serving us those. Dig this: we were actually sitting in the living room with the TV on, and each of us had a "TV tray." So she puts these aluminum rectangular things on on our trays and, well, the truth is that my mother was such a lousy cook that I couldn't tell the difference.

You'd have to peal a sheet of foil off the thing and then there's this...rubbery artificial food with steam blowing off it so you can't really see it very well until it gets cold, and it took no more than a minute for it to get cold.

Swanson, I think that was it. Turkey dinner.

I've found zildjian sticks to be the most fragile stick that I've used. They're really the only brand of stick that I've broken. I use Vater sticks the most and have only worn them down. Even Sound Percussion sticks get the job done, but they get a weaker sound from drum heads it seems like

$30 for shipping? Where do you live? Right now Musician's Friend has free shipping in the USA. I ordered a tom arm a few days ago, and after a $15 gift certificate and free shipping, it only cost me $7.

Man! $30 shipping for something that costs $20 is rather rough. Good luck.

I use a variety of Vic Firth, Pro-Mark and Vater sticks. But, if I remember correctly, my wife bought me a pair of Washburn sticks for $1 in a blue cardboard sleeve several years ago at the flea market, and they weren't bad. They were unfinished with a very rough feel. I really liked the natural feel of the wood grain. They felt similar to the size and feel of Peter Erskine (regular-not the ride) sticks. I never found them at the flea market after that, but I am happy with what I use now so I have not searched for them. I have seen sticks under Washburn Lyon on eBay.

Yeah I've used a lot. Just wanted to get opinions on several types.

I dunno, I've played Vics, Pro Marks, Zildjian's, Regal Tip and who knows what else?.

I havent noticed a real difference in durability between the big name stick brands.

I always play Hickory though because maple sticks are too light for me and oak sticks just explode when I play them.

Maybe you just need to go up to 2B's

2B's are too big for me. I have no control, they make my ride sound too heavy. I also hit too hard with them.

It doesn't matter what size sticks you get if they're Vaters. Seriously, one pair should last you at least 3 months if you went through Zildjian sticks that fast.

Sweet, thanks.

There's still such a thing as TV dinners?

I remember my mother serving us those. Dig this: we were actually sitting in the living room with the TV on, and each of us had a "TV tray." So she puts these aluminum rectangular things on on our trays and, well, the truth is that my mother was such a lousy cook that I couldn't tell the difference.

You'd have to peal a sheet of foil off the thing and then there's this...rubbery artificial food with steam blowing off it so you can't really see it very well until it gets cold, and it took no more than a minute for it to get cold.

Swanson, I think that was it. Turkey dinner.

I remember my mom gave us ones with the penguin on it. I just eat Hungry Man now, go through about 4 a week.

I've found zildjian sticks to be the most fragile stick that I've used. They're really the only brand of stick that I've broken. I use Vater sticks the most and have only worn them down. Even Sound Percussion sticks get the job done, but they get a weaker sound from drum heads it seems like

Alright, thanks.

$30 for shipping? Where do you live? Right now Musician's Friend has free shipping in the USA. I ordered a tom arm a few days ago, and after a $15 gift certificate and free shipping, it only cost me $7.

Man! $30 shipping for something that costs $20 is rather rough. Good luck.

Southern Canada. Near Calgary, Alberta. If it was $10 to $15 I would, but not $30. Not to mention customs may nail me.

I use VicFirth 5B sticks for almost 4 years now and they last me for 1-2 months.
That sticks are in my opinion the best out there and i recommend them to anyone.

Yeah I have one stick still laying around, so I'm using that with my last Zildjian stick. It's held up a lot better.

Especially to think that my last Zildjian stick broke while hitting the bell of the ride, haha.

Thanks guys, I'll stop off and check them out. I'll try both Maple and Hickory. Can't really remember the difference in sound.

I like some of Zildjian's sticks, especially their "Heavy Jazz" sticks which are made from laminated birch, I play any music genre with them. Another one I like is the Trilok Gurtu, it's a walnut, double dipped stick. I've been using these sticks for over two years and haven't broken one, I just wear out the shoulders.

These are the Heavy Jazz sticks.

Dsc_0311.jpg

Dennis

have you tried synthetic sticks like techra and ahead. I personaly think the techra sticks are better because they are really light but still make a similiar sound on the drums and they sound brilliant on the ride. I can't get any feel with the ahead sticks but you might see them differently. The ahead sticks are expensive were as the techras are only a couple of pounds more expensive than wooden sticks.

I know there not the same but they dont break during gigs and it becomes expensive when your buying 2 pairs of sticks a week.

Back