Evans Power Center Heads

SpinaDude

Hello. I have a Mapex Meridian Maple and have 2 new toms on order. They should be here with a week or so and want to re-head the whole kit and kill the stock cheapo version of the pinstripes on there now. I hit fairly hard so Clear Emperors or Evans EC2's seemed like a good choice, but I've been told they don't take well to high tuning. So I was looking at Evans Power Center heads because they seem like a happy medium. But I don't see any real reviews on them anywhere. Do they suck, or are they just not very popular? Are teh other choiced better anyway? I hope someone cahn help out. Thank You.

Don't know much about Evans...
But you might consider a Vintage Ambassador, which is a 2-ply head that I believe has one ply of 3-mil, and another ply of 7.5-mil. This guy has been pretty good to my snare for the past two months, and it takes pretty well to high tunings.

Power center heads sound real nice on snare drums. I'm not sure about how they sound on toms, but they are a great overall head. I'm sure they'll tune up well and give you some durability with the extra beef from the center film. With that being said, clear emperors can tune up higher well, you just have to make sure you get a good head that will sing out nicely. That means you have to do the "tap test" and flick the drum head out of the box with your finger. If you get a nice floppy tone, you have a winner. If you get one that sounds dull and flat, keep looking.

Modern Drummer magazine did a review on them a couple months ago, they gave it a great review.

It's not that they suck it's just that they're fairly new and most people haven't got around to trying them yet.

Back