Why should I share my drums?

Stoney

It seems like us drummers get the raw deal here when it comes to sharing our equipment. Granted we generally take up the largest stage space but I'm quite happy to tear down or set up my kit whenever! It's only down to engineers or fellow drummers laziness that there should ever be a reason to share equipment. At the end of the day though it should be my decision and a decision I should not have to feel guilty about!
I always take my kit to gigs unless it's been pre-arranged and then I'll just take my breakables. Just common sense in my book. I remember one guy who turned up with just a pair of sticks! After pleading with me to use my kit (and failing) he then turned up 30mins later with his full kit. Why he didn't in the first place I'll never no. Just laziness I guess.
I say all this because I've had some pretty bad experiences of kit sharing in the past. Whether it be lost cymbal washers, hi-hat clutches, broken heads or toms set up too low that they're scraping off the bass drum finish (not what you want when you've got a brand new set)! Not to mention re-tuning! Arrrrrgh......
Obviously this only applies to smaller club gigs and for this I'm even considering buying a set of beat up crappy drums that I don't mind sharing but then again why should I have to compromise my sound to please others and make their lives easier?
What are your views on this? I never see a guitarist sharing his Les Paul. My kit is my pride and joy too.....and I, it seems is the only person capable of looking after it.

I don't think it's just drummers. With regards to the les paul example, yeah i don't think a guitar player would share their guitar but a lot of the time you see bands sharing amps. A lot of bands doing support gigs and that do share their "backline" stuff.

We've got the same problem where I'm from. Many rock gigs (called "productions") have lots of bands playing 3-4 songs only. The production usually provides a crappy kit. Some drummers bring parts that are very personal to them. But others don't bring anything. Some don't even bring their own sticks. They then beg to use the nice stuff of other drummers. Those who don't lend their stuff are often branded as selfish and arrogant.

If I don't bring anything except my stick bag, I resign myself to playing the in-house kit however bad it is. I only play stuff of other drummers if they offered first, and I always promise to replace/repair anything that gets damaged. Nowadays I bring a snare, pedal, cymbals, and extra cymbal stands. I only share them with trusted friends, and they usually bring their own gear anyway. Other than that, I do not share my stuff, and I don't care what other people think.

I didn't much like sharing drums because you have to wait around to set down. Ideally, if someone borrows your drums they should help out with lug in, set up, set down and lug out. Fair's fair. If not, a few $$ should change hands.

It's always a worry if someone who wants to borrow your kit is a basher.

I don't mind sharing my kit with people I know. I bought my kit so it would be played, preferrably by myself but if someone I know needs it for something, I will generally (or generously) agree to let them use it. When I know them personally and they do something stupid I trust that i'll get the repairs / replacements refunded.

Last time I shared my kit it was with a better drummer than myself who once let me use his kit for an audition. He was very grateful and actually learned something about setting up his kit; I sit very high on my throne and he was used to sitting low until he tried my kit :)

But at a jam session with a house kit provided... I prefer to just bring sticks even if that means playing a crappy set. Like pollyanna said: the next drummer may be using the heaviest sticks he can find because other sticks just don't last through the abuse he puts them through.

This is one thing I'm very anal about, to the point where it has cost me a few gigs over the years (I average about 150 shows a year, so it's not like it's hurt me THAT much, for the record). I will not share my kit with anyone I don't know. There are a couple reasons for it. First of all, I've had a ton of bad experiences. Broken heads (which, if you don't have spares, means you are screwed), broken sticks (again, you bought 'em, now you lose 'em), set-up issues, etc.

If someone does use my kit, they are not allowed to adjust anything. At all. No re-tuning, no adjusting heights...I sit very high on my throne, and if they don't like it, too bad. I have my memory locks set to my sweet spots, and I keep them there for a reason.

One final note. I recently was at a show where there were three drummers that used the same kit. The bands played two sets each, going on like this:
Band 1, Band 2, Band 3, Band 1, Band 2, Band 3.
The kit was owned by Band 3. When Band 1 started their second set, the drummer was way off, just playing like crap. He knew it, too, and got pissed off, and somehow kicked the bass drum pedal in such a way that he BROKE the strap. So the other drummers, including the guy who owned the pedal, now had no bass drum. The dude also refused to pay for it, and just walked out of the club.

I feel your pain. It seems whenever there is a guest musician in the house he plays the drums. Everyone wants to be a drummer. At least now my band will ask me and if I know the guy I will let him play a tune while I get a cold beer. It also gives me a chance to hear my kit out front which is not a bad thing.

A couple of times every years we play a Doo Wop show (oldies music for you youngsters) and we are the opening act. The bands are The Drifters, The Tokens, The Shirelles and some other bands from that era. It varies year to year. Well guess who's kit gets used? Yup, mine. The musicians that back these bands are usually very good and to date very respectful of my drums and appreciate it as well. I am pretty anal about my tuning and know what sound I like and to date not one of the drummers put a drum key near a lug. I will even let the drummer do the sound check because I want the drums to sound the best they can no matter who plays them.

I always keep extra heads in my van and carry an extra pedal too.

I've played someone's kit at a gig before. He offered to let me play his Pearl masters MCX...which was awesome, because at the time I was borrowing a beat to hell low-end Tama kit from a friend while I was between kits. I asked if I could adjust the height of his throne and hi-hats, and that was it. It took about 10 minutes to get used to his kit. I'm not a hard hitter, and I still took it easier than usual on his gear...I didn't want to leave a single stick mark if I could help it. I sent many bottles of Guinness his way after my set was finished, and I tore down his set and loaded his kit and his band's amps and cabs for him while he got smashed.

I have thankfully not had to share my kit in awhile with anyone but can relate and have had some bad experiences in the past....this was with my old Remo kit.

1. experience #1- Years ago when my kit was new I was playing a "double bill " thing locally the guy in the opening band did not bring a kit....I had new heads which I had spent a great deal of time tuning and getting the set overall to speak the way I wanted it to. The opneing guy seemed nice enough and his initial playing did not thing to shock me into thinking it was a bad idea....THEN...the opener played for real...

Bashing...smashing...hitting lighter cymbals with all his might....just absolute nonsense "drumming" hitting like he was trying to kill something...the phrase "what the f*ck is he doing" ran thru my head for the entire 45 minute show....and he was miked....it was absurd and I vowed to never let someone "borrow" my kit again.My heads looked 4 months old after 45 minutes.

2. experience #2...basically similar scenerio years later ...same old remos...I was having trouble with hardware stripping ou t...and the guy playing my kit adjusted everything to "flat" levels ( I guess to look cool) the bass drum tom mount has never worked the same...and eventually I am going to replace all the arms and mounts with Gibralter stuff since Remo no longer manufactures these mounting systems.

So... I feel your pain and you can bet I'd never let someone "borrow" my DWs after these experiences....I have had a few other times where people were cool ...but mostly I have had people who act like jacka** monkeys on acid when they "borrow" my kit. They can bring and set up their own gear from here on out.

ThurboThorn, that's class :)

It's amazing how many drummers mistreat drum kits. Like Big Philly, in my old band I used the crappy house set provided by the studio. The tunings always amazed me, especially the snare which I like tight. I'd finally get the toms sound half decent and when I came back the overtones were all over the place. Cymbals would be cracked, fittings broken, cymbal felts stolen. Even the stool got stuck on a setting and I had to get the studio guys to sort it out. Mr Gaffa ended up having to come to the rescue. There are lots of ferals out there like the guy described by Mr Chattr.

In my rock days I had no problem letting someone I knew and trust use my kit, but strangers ... that worried me. When I was young it was interesting to let friends who played better than I did use my kit because I probably picked up more than if I'd seen them use another kit; it's a level playing field.

My band was playing at a private party, at which there was another band, without equipment, but well known to my bandmates. My mates asked if the other drummer could use my kit, 'cause they were going to let the other guys use their guitars. They did say if I wasn't cool with it, they'd back me up (I got good band mates). I figured if it was okay for the guitarists, it might work for me.

I told my mates I had to grill the other drummer before I'd let him play. He said he was a heavy hitter, and I told him to hold back and not to adjust anything or he'd be off the kit. He was polite, friendly, did what I asked, and helped me to breakdown and load up.

However, I use 7As and he trashed a pair or two, so now I carry a couple pairs of old, beat-up sticks just in case someone else ever sits in; that's all they'll get to use.

Did I like it? I must admit I was nervous the entire time. In the future I think I'm going to take mrchattr's approach and be very selective about who, if anyone ever uses my kit.

Man, these are horror stories!

I thought this only happened in school! My horror experience is this:

When I was still in school, many moons ago, my parents bought me one of those inexpensive Japanese knock-off import kits from the early 70's. Unless you had rich parents or rich relatives that could afford Ludwig, Slingerland, or Gretsch, your parents bought the imports. (A Ludwig kit costs the same as a mid-sized Chevy sedan back in those days.) Japan took advantage of the rock and roll craze in America and marketed millions of "stencil" kits under brand names like "Jazz Master" "Whitehal", "Dixie". etc. A lot of stores carried them. Some were made by the fore-funner companies of Tama and Pearl. Mine was made by Pearl, (lucky me). Others were crappy kits. (A bit of history there....)

In school Jazz band we shared 1 kit. Guess who's kit was the best? Mine. I was proud of that kit and lucky to have it. I prooved myself in band by getting first chair percussion and kept it for a long time. I spent all of my money on new heads, new cymbals, etc. Then I lost first chair to a real jerk. I was bummed and lost some of my confidence. This first chair lead drummer was a real jerk with a large ego and acted like he was a king because he was "1st chair". Bullied a lot. We were required to take turns on the songs and all of us played my kit. All of the others were respectful of my kit, but this one lead drummer completely disrespected me, my kit, others, etc. My new heads were dented, cymbals dented, etc. All because he took to beating the hell outta my kit to stroke his ego.

I found out years later he confessed he thought I was always a better drummer than he and I had a much better kit than he and he confesed he was really jealous! So he took to trashing my kit because of it. Immature prick.

Because of that horrible experience years ago I now try to be careful, but sometimes it still happens. And churches are the worst. When I was in a gospel band I took to leaving my lower-end kit at the church so I wouldn't have to lug it home and back twice a week. I siimple took my cymbals home. It never failed, whenever I'd leave I would put the sticks back in the stick bag, turn off the snares, ect. I'd come in next time, cymbal stands would be rearranged, the floor tom would be moved, the snare would be turned wrong, and a pair of my sticks would be out. Yeah, somebody was playing my drums without permission. Whenever I asked, the answer was always the same: "Um....nobody dude." Sure......

Last edited:
as a drummer, you should be cool to share anything. If it was not about to share ideas, there would not be a forum like this..if it is about letting the drummer of the next band play on your drums..there will come a day when you play a gig and you have to use the previous drummer´s kit. Give and take is very important..Remember: any drumset is, by nature, "undestroyable". Whatever the other drummer does to you kit, you can fix it in a minute...hang loose!..But maybe you can make a list of your washers and let the other drummer sign it so you can sue him later

as a drummer, you should be cool to share anything. If it was not about to share ideas, there would not be a forum like this..if it is about letting the drummer of the next band play on your drums..there will come a day when you play a gig and you have to use the other drummer´s kit. Give and take is very important..Remember: any drumset is, by nature, "undestroyable". Whatever the other drummer does to you kit, you can fix it in a minute...hang loose!

That's just not true as far as sharing gear. Read the examples above...there are plenty of examples that people have of time when gear was ruined, people wouldn't pay for the damage, etc. A lot of us have thousands of dollars invested into our instruments, and don't want people doing damage to our property. Would you let someone you never met, and had never seen drive, jump behind the wheel of your car? Maybe you would, but I certainly wouldn't.

I don't mind sharing my kit with people I know. I bought my kit so it would be played, preferrably by myself but if someone I know needs it for something, I will generally (or generously) agree to let them use it. When I know them personally and they do something stupid I trust that i'll get the repairs / replacements refunded.

Last time I shared my kit it was with a better drummer than myself who once let me use his kit for an audition. He was very grateful and actually learned something about setting up his kit; I sit very high on my throne and he was used to sitting low until he tried my kit :)

But at a jam session with a house kit provided... I prefer to just bring sticks even if that means playing a crappy set. Like pollyanna said: the next drummer may be using the heaviest sticks he can find because other sticks just don't last through the abuse he puts them through.

I agree. If I know and trust the person, I would let them drive my car, take my kids to the park, sleep in my house or take my drum set to play. If I don't know the person, then I am very reluctant to let them play.

That's just not true as far as sharing gear. Read the examples above...there are plenty of examples that people have of time when gear was ruined, people wouldn't pay for the damage, etc. A lot of us have thousands of dollars invested into our instruments, and don't want people doing damage to our property. Would you let someone you never met, and had never seen drive, jump behind the wheel of your car? Maybe you would, but I certainly wouldn't.

I never invested "thousands of dollars" in a drumset... and I cannot imagine anyone, not even a drunk guy after the gig, to destroy a drumset and do any severe damage which I cannot repair in just a second..LOL

I've played someone's kit at a gig before. He offered to let me play his Pearl masters MCX...which was awesome, because at the time I was borrowing a beat to hell low-end Tama kit from a friend while I was between kits. I asked if I could adjust the height of his throne and hi-hats, and that was it. It took about 10 minutes to get used to his kit. I'm not a hard hitter, and I still took it easier than usual on his gear...I didn't want to leave a single stick mark if I could help it. I sent many bottles of Guinness his way after my set was finished, and I tore down his set and loaded his kit and his band's amps and cabs for him while he got smashed.

Now THAT is classy! If more people were as thoughtful as you, more people would be willing to share their equipment.

Would you let someone you never met, and had never seen drive, jump behind the wheel of your car?
Yes, I would.
This is a classic scenario you have been watching in about 1 million hollywood movies, and I guess you liked the films....and always there is a happy end..Do not forget: the car, (or the drumset) doesn´t mean anything..it is just a "McDuffin"

Last edited:
I've never had to share my drums, not once. I have at times let other drummers sit in on my kit but they were all professional enough to know not to change anything. And I have sat in on other drummer's kits, but I've never changed the setup to suit me, and certainly never thought of changing their tuning. That would be very rude. Would you go into someone's house and start re-arranging the furniture?

music rulez, gear sucks....
do not worry about your beloved "thousands of Dollars" gear..it does not "mean anyhing if it ain´t got that swing"..grin

Back