Raggae Mustang Sally

The Scorpio

I hate covers. I hate going to a bar and having to play "Mustang Sally," "Sweet Home Alabama" (I live thirty minutes from Alabama, we almost always have to play it,) "Margaritaville" and other covers like that.

But I've just started a new original band. The only way to get local exposure is to play covers. So what we've decided to do is adapt those covers into the style of music we play. So here's what we've come up with so far.

Mustang Sally- Raggae

Sweet Home Alabama- Slow Blues

Margaritaville- In the style of Weezer. We are thinking like "Buddy Holley."

I'm looking to expand this list.

I live in South Georgia. It is nothing but rednecks who like to drink beer, watch Nascar, and drink more beer.

Anyone got some ideas for some more covers my band could "church-up?"

-Kyle

I really have nothing to add just that I would think think that playing Sweet Home Alabama other than close to the original recording may start a riot in the South.

Some classics are just not meant to tinker with.

Mustang Sally I would jusr refuse to play altogether :)

Funny post...thanks!

I can't wait to hear the Reggae version of SHA
Go for it!
Alabama has beer drinkin NASCAR watchin rednecks?
I didn't know that.

Well we are definitely gonna try the Sweet Home Alabama thing. If the crowds don't like it well then I'm sorry haha.

But I think redressing the music well could really help us stand apart from the innumerable letter perfect cover bands around this neck of the woods.

Definitely gonna get some video's up=)

That's liable to get yer butts kicked if you play it on the wrong side of the river Scorpio....
But, it does have a coolness that kinda grows on ya....the "best cymbals for reggae" thread has had me listening to a little all week.....

lol it'll be fine. The way I figure it, people have got a right to hear something different. I've got my butt kicked for worse hahaha

If you are going to play things in the 'reggae' style you can play around with half-time feels as well to add to the mix. Think of the Police's song So Lonely:

http://youtu.be/MX6MvV8cbh8

With a song like SHA you could have big fun cutting to double time in a chorus or two or playing the song out with a coda in double time.

I dare you to Reggae or punk Freebird in Georgia. Please, do it for me, do it for us all. Check the exits first though, you may need to make a sudden egress.

I saw Josh Garret and the Bottom Line do a cover of Black Magic Woman in Nashville that was so good it hurt. You can make anything great if you put in the effort.

lol it'll be fine. The way I figure it, people have got a right to hear something different. I've got my butt kicked for worse hahaha

Remember the original Blues Brothers movie,when they are playing in the redneck bar,inside a chicken wire cage,and they play the theme from "Rawhide" ?If you haven't seen the movie..that scene alone makes you want to carry around a couple of rolls of chicken wire.Good luck.

Steve B

Well Margaritaville was a great success at practice last night!!! It's less like Weezer and more like Chuck Berry. And I'm good with that hahahahaha!!!!!!

Raggae Mustang Sally was not really jiving last night. But it was at the end of rehearsal and we were all pretty fried!!!

We'll see how it goes next week.

Now back to my original topic. Do you guys have some good suggestions for some other "bar standards" that my band could do?

I dare you to Reggae or punk Freebird in Georgia. Please, do it for me, do it for us all.

I like this idea very much.

As good as my idea for a bluegrass arrangement of "Sex Machine."

From an old Letterman's "Top Ten Ways You Know You Went to a Bad School."

"Your 'Class Song' was 'Freebird'."

The next day, I was talking to my buddy and he asks, "Didja see Letterman last night?"

"Yeah."

"My 'Class Song' was "Freebird'!"

We laughed and laughed.

Back