Why no love for Jon Fishman??

Jon is a really great drummer, a talent much needed when dealing with Treys' twisted mind, and to come back after 5 years? Takes Big Beans!

I used to love listening to Jon play until I met him. What a self centered dick! This kid asked him for his autograph and handed him a ticket stub to sign. Jon stuck the ticket stub in his mouth, chewed it up, and spit it out. The kid was heart broken! After that, I lost all respect for Jon.

I used to love listening to Jon play until I met him. What a self centered dick! This kid asked him for his autograph and handed him a ticket stub to sign. Jon stuck the ticket stub in his mouth, chewed it up, and spit it out. The kid was heart broken! After that, I lost all respect for Jon.

Man -- I used to worship the dude. That really saddens me.

He was probably baked outta his mind at the time... but still.

I know for a fact that Trey Anastasio is a great dude, though.

I've got one of those lying around somewhere- a friend ran into Stewart Copeland in LA in the 80's and asked him for an autograph for me, but was having trouble finding a pen. Copeland took the postcard he was offering him and bit into it, which I guess is at least as personal as an autograph would've been. It's all in the attitude, I guess.

I think chewing something up and spitting it out is a clear case of contempt. Not much room for interpretation there.

I want to say it sounds out of character but I have no idea as to the guy's character. Does he have a history of being a DB?

I only have one Phishman story: A friend and I got free tickets to a show back maybe 10 years ago, and it was completely sold out. Really expensive tickets, too.

Me and my friend, both of us completely ignorant to what Phish was all about, got very excited about seeing them, especially after seeing the crowd outside the venue so stoked on this band and a particular group of filthy hippies willing to part with large sums of hard cash for tickets - surely this was going to be worth seeing!

So we find our seats and the lights go out and the place goes nuts while the band walks out on stage. But the crowd goes strangely silent as the band starts into their first tune. My friend and I sorta exchange looks like, "this must just be an intro that's going to launch into something really spectacular," but the thing just kept going and going until finally they stopped playing it after like 15 minutes. There was not a single interesting musical event the entire time. I know; we waited with bated breath for it.

Second song, same thing. Annoyed, we started getting a little banter going amongst ourselves, saying things like, "I thought these guys were supposed to be good on some level, what's the deal? What are we missing?"

Third song, and their monotonous assault showed no signs of abating and as our "critique" become harsher. Finally, someone in front of us turned around and said something along the lines of, "STFU!" Oops, didn't realize other people could hear us, or maybe they were just sensing our negative vibes.

Deciding that no good could come from this situation, we left.

We again passed the same group of filthy hippies on our way out still begging to exchange our (now gone) tickets for large sums of money.

Bottom line: I don't know if JF is a DB or not, and I don't really care, but I can tell you that if your drumming and your band are so empty and boring that it becomes a source of egregious annoyance, you ain't getting no love from me.

Last edited:
Back