Supraphonic

swing_set

So while recently helping my old middle school band director with cleaning, i found a precious gem....

1963 ludwig supraphonic with mild pitting but a beautiful tone. After taking it home the head popped on me (stock head from 63') and i put an ambassador on it. now i need help.

im having trouble tuning it, and im getting way too much ring. anyone got any ideas?

So while recently helping my old middle school band director with cleaning, i found a precious gem....

1963 ludwig supraphonic with mild pitting but a beautiful tone. After taking it home the head popped on me (stock head from 63') and i put an ambassador on it. now i need help.

im having trouble tuning it, and im getting way too much ring. anyone got any ideas?
Ring is good not bad, but try a coated back dot. It'll take out a bit of it for you and see if you like it better, it happens to be my personal favorite head on a Supra, but not everybody likes what I like.

Half of a Moon Gel or put a business card near the edge to kill the ring.

^ The best damping I have found is to tape a credit card to the rim, such that the tape doesn't restrict the bouncing, but prevents the card from flying off the drum. The tape is basically a hinge. It sounds like running a compressor on the drum, as the card flips up momentarilly, allowing the full tone and volume of the transient, but than quickly reconnects with the head, flattening out the symphony of weird, cacophonous pings.

Second choice is two bits of duck or gaffer tape, folded twice in the middle to make a "dorsal fin" about 1/2" tall, with two sticky-side down "wings" about 1/2-3/4" on each side. I put one on each of the two lugs closest to me, the ones that get loose under rim shot usage.

These both work well on my Supra and my Musashi.

Don't dampen it,

That ring is what carries the sound through the band. I crank min up so it has a nice cutting crack. Try it and have someone else play it and stand out front. I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised.

And I have to ask, was it free?

Is the internal muffler work ?

I love the ring on the supras, why would you not like such a beautiful thing!! Kidding.

I say go with GD. Moon gel or Business card. I found on my old snare I like moon gels better. They stay put and you can leave half on the head and half off.

Back