Buying New Remo Heads

Absentia-Planet

So I have been playing Coated Evans G2 over Clear G1s with an Onyx bass drum head for the past year. I am going to switch over to Remo in the next few weeks and I have a question on the sound that will be produced with my selection.

Rack Toms: Pinstripes over Ebony Ambassadors
Floor Tom: Controlled Sound Black Dot over an Ebony Ambassadors
Snare: Controlled Sound Reverse Black Dot over a Hazy Diplomat
Bass: Controlled Sound Bass Drum head and a coated Ambassador up front
Octobans: Clear Ambassadors

Another possibility for the rack toms are Emperors over ebony or clear ambassadors
And another possibility for the bassdrum is a Pinstripe

Any suggestions and comments are welcome! Thanks

And I have a Pearl Soundcheck which is the cheapest of the cheap when it comes to kits. But, when tuned properly and with great heads, it can sound really great. I've heard that pinstripes sound great on the cheaper kits

Last edited:
I would stick to pinstripes on all toms. They seem to be the go-to heads on cheaper drum kits as its easy to get a half decent sound.

Never had any experience with a CS dot bass drum head, but why not go with a powerstroke 3 which seems to be the favored bass drum head.

I've just always loved Tony William's sound and he used CS heads on everything and they sounded amazing.

I've seen other people who have used the CS as a bass drum head and the one thing I've seen people say is that it produces a great 'boom' and sounds amazing.

Mike Portnoy used the CS on his Bonham kit and those sounded GIGANTIC and I love that sound from a floor tom

clear batters over black reso's is not an aethetic I would choose but there are no rules
against it.

IMHO - the reso head selection and tuning plays a mojor role in how your toms sound.
so don't neglect the reso head especially tuning.

ambassadors and ebony ambassadors are a good choice:)

I've never tried black dots on toms so I couldn't tell ya there
Pinstipes have a somewhat thumpy sound and choke at higher tunings.

The PS3 will not need much muffling - the black dot for bass drum may need some dampening.

hope this helps

clear batters over black reso's is not an aethetic I would choose but there are no rules
against it.

IMHO - the reso head selection and tuning plays a mojor role in how your toms sound.
so don't neglect the reso head especially tuning.

ambassadors and ebony ambassadors are a good choice:)

I've never tried black dots on toms so I couldn't tell ya there
Pinstipes have a somewhat thumpy sound and choke at higher tunings.

The PS3 will not need much muffling - the black dot for bass drum may need some dampening.

hope this helps
I could just buy the Evans Muffling pad too. I've heard good things about it. And what will the ebony reso do to the sound if I choose Emperors over ebony Ambassadors?

I've just always loved Tony William's sound and he used CS heads on everything and they sounded amazing.

Unless you're using large drums, tensioned very tightly, don't bother. Otherwise, you may like them on the batter sides with single ply resonant heads.

Also, pinstripes sound and feel very different compared to black dots. I would suggest either going all pinstripes or black dots on the toms.

Pinstripes are really nice, but will lose their brightness and attack sooner than a regular ambassador will.

This is frustrating and a tough choice.

I was also thinking of doing Ebony Ambassaors on the octobans, but I wonder what that would do to the sound

You will not know what the drums will sound like until you buy some and try them out. Buy one set of heads for one drum and check out how it sounds. If you like it, then buy the rest. Although I have used two-ply tom batter heads for longer than many of you have been alive, I am going to try one-ply soon. Peace, goodwill, and blues.

If you plan on using Remo coated anything... the coating will not hold up more than 20 minutes. Stay with Evans until Remo fixes their issues. I hate that Remo has ruined their product because I really liked the way their heads sounded on my drums.

If you plan on using Remo coated anything... the coating will not hold up more than 20 minutes. Stay with Evans until Remo fixes their issues. I hate that Remo has ruined their product because I really liked the way their heads sounded on my drums.

I've had a coated amb on my toms for 6 month's it is dished out and discoloured
adn at the end of it's lifespan but the coating is completely intact and it still sounds great.

I have also got 13" snare that came with an evans reverse dot that I can easily
scratch the coating off with my fingernail...far too easily...

so...I don't know what to say buy my experience has been different.

Why would you switch from one brand to another when you have no idea what they sound like? That to me is like saying this food tastes better than that, but I have never eaten it. You say your kit tuned properly with great heads it sounds great. What are these great sounding heads and why would you change? I just don't get the logic. My cheap drums sound great so I am going to change brands. Really?

To the OP,

I can say Pins will be a good choice. I also noticed we have the same drumkit, and I'm looking into swapping my Remos for Evans. Just to try something new. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the G2's.

GRUNTERSDAD: Sorry, I guess. I just want to see what else is out there. My school's drum kit has Pinstripes on it and I liked that sound. I want to try it on my kit. I have a Remo snare head on and it sounds phenomenal. I want to see if it works for the rest of the kit.

tah821: The G2s sounded really good. Nice and warm when they were tuned right. They rung for just the right amount of time. I just want to see what else is out there in terms of sound and Remo seems to have a good sound. I have nothing against the G2s at all. They sound great.

I just have problems with the 10 inch tom after playing for awhile. With G1s and Onyx on the bottom, they sometimes get a weird ring when they get de-tuned, but tune them right back up and they sound great.

they sometimes get a weird ring when they get de-tuned, but tune them right back up and they sound great.

That happens with any head from any brand mate. Nothing to do with G1's or Onyx's or Ambassadors or any other head you can think of. It's neither a new or surprising phenomenon.
It's much like saying: my car stops running when it runs out of petrol, but when I fill it up it works great again.

This is why we tune our drums.......regularly.

I just don't ever remember it happening when I first got them. Once again, sorry.

Hell, don't be sorry my friend. There are many newer playes who don't understand the concept of tuning drums, tweaking them so that they stay in tune and above all, doing this regularly so that the drums always sound their best. I'm merely letting anyone who wasn't aware of it, know that it needs to be done.

I just don't ever remember it happening when I first got them. Once again, sorry.

This is good. Your ears are being trained to be able to hear more subtleties. When playing drums, tuning becomes a fact of life if you like it or not. I touch up my drums every time I sit behind them, it's second nature.

Dennis

Back