Do I Need A New Drum Teacher?

JellyRollz

I'm 17 years old and I just started taking drum lessons a month ago. My drum teacher is a cool guy he's young and only started playing drums 4 years ago. I like him as a person and I think that's important to have in a teacher so you don't hate him/her, but he's not very good at playing drums. First few lessons he taught me how to read a few notes and how to play basic beats and now I'm learning how to play Sweet Child O' Mine. But I he didn't teach me any techniques or fills, rudiments, paradiddles, rolls etc. I want to actually know how to play the drums before I start playing songs. Also when he tries to teach me a part of the song he messes up many times before he gets it down. I want a great teacher that can sit at the drums a play a crazy solo or at least be able to play very very well. Should i just stick it out and learn what he shows me since I'm just starting out and I'm a beginner? Should I find another teacher? PLEASE HELP!!!

From what you've said, I'd say that you absolutely need an new drum teacher! A drum teacher's job is to inspire you,challenge you ,and give you something to aspire to, as well as help you build a firm foundation based on rudiments. And obviously, you recognize all of that. So....Yes!

I know for sure there's no way on earth I'd of been an effective teacher after doing this for 4 years.

The most effective teachers I've had over my 36+ years of being involved with this instrument have been those who were considered "masters" at what they do. Meaning they have had years and years of performance and teaching experience (many more than 4 years).

Seek out the most qualified teachers in your area. Do you have a Community Music School or those that are highly sought after as teachers?

Yes you need a new teacher, I agree. Nothing against your teacher as a person,
but I can't imagine he's qualified to teach you over a significant period of time,
because at 4 years he's gonna have to learn and experience so many things himself
from various aspects of drumming and music in general.
You will be better of with an experienced professional teacher who has that knowledge.

4 years?? Thats obsurd.. It's fine to show peole some stuff but to put yourself out there as an instructor and charge money for someting you have been playing for 4 years is ridiculouos IMO. He may be a great guy and all but you definetly need a more experienced drum instructor.

Doesn't sound like a qualified teacher at all.

I do some other things with students, because it's the only way to eventually get through to them, but when you are willing to do the work in the trditional way, you need an instructor capable of doing that.

I teach them 21 Guns, Sunshine of your love and maybe the first tune from Weckl's ultimate play-a-long, but then I make it clear that there's no way to get further unless we start working on the basics in a detailed structured manner. Through the process I've been able to make the point so they get it, though.

A teacher should have a plan to take you through rudiments, reading, independence and present application and styles along with it. They should also have the knowledge to be able to explain anything to anyone who's willing to learn. That does take experience in actual teaching though, so those abilities vary, but they gotta have the basic knowledge and be able to understand and present it in a coherent manner.

Yep I agree with everyone else here, 4 years is not enough experience at all. I consider myself a decent drummer but would not consider myself a great teacher, and I've only played 6 years. Many teachers although may not be great drummers or are still great teachers. Definitely get someone who has a more textbook/thought teaching method who teaches you the basics first. It would have been about 20 weeks of 30 min lessons before I even started learning a song on the kit. Mostly practice pad and grooves. Worked out well for me!

A strong foundation is very very important to give yourself the best advantage for your drumming career, so do yourself a favor and get a proper drum teacher!

The guy is ripping you off. Ask for your money back and find a new teacher. Kick him in the butt on the way out.

Last edited:
only started playing drums 4 years

I stopped reading right there......and I am going to answer the thread title with a big fat ....Yes!

someone playing for 4 years has absolutely nothing to offer you.....he should be taking lessons himself

Should I find another teacher? PLEASE HELP!!!

You knew the answer before you posted, but don't want to leave your current "teacher" because he's a nice guy. Finish the month if that's what you paid for, just as a courtesy, and then move on to someone who can teach you to play.

Where are you located? Maybe someone here can point you in the right direction.

Although I agree that you do need a new teacher, I'm going to buck the trend here: I don't see that the length of time the teacher has been playing is an issue. I'd qualify anyone who has been through the Royal Marines School Of Music and serving the minimum 4 years, or a Berklee graduate etc as being able to teach at some level.

But THIS, to me, means that this guy should not be teaching drums at ANY level.

But he didn't teach me any techniques or fills, rudiments, paradiddles, rolls etc.

Also when he tries to teach me a part of the song he messes up many times before he gets it down. PLEASE HELP!!!

As a teacher, you have to set the bench-mark that the student wishes to attain and if you cannot do that, taking money is IMHO theft. I know teachers who are fully aware of their limits, and are 100% up front, as to how far they can take a pupil and when that pupil need to go to someone else. This guy sounds like he's taking you, and any other pupil, for a ride.

Seek out the most qualified teachers in your area. Do you have a Community Music School or those that are highly sought after as teachers?

I've been looking for good schools close to me but I honestly couldn't find any other the one I'm at. After reading what everyone has said I'm definitely going to research a lot more to find a great school or maybe even a private teacher that comes to my house or something like that.

You knew the answer before you posted, but don't want to leave your current "teacher" because he's a nice guy. Finish the month if that's what you paid for, just as a courtesy, and then move on to someone who can teach you to play.

Where are you located? Maybe someone here can point you in the right direction.

I think that's what I'm going to do. I'm located in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

Thanks everyone for helping me out with this situation I'm definitely going to be looking for a new teacher and will be leaving my current one by the end of the month. I really appreciate it.

Do I Need A New Drum Teacher? Checks and balances?

I have a general question here which I thought would fit in this thread rather than trying to start a new:

As a parent to a drum student, what would be some ways to check if things are moving in the right directions?

For example, are there standardized curriculums (perghsp in a country / state)?

"Festivals" like they have for piano, where students, by skill level, pick a couple of pieces among a selection and perform and then get a grade.

Desirable schools for serious drum training at a later stage (high school, college perhaps) where one can check what skills are tested at auditons?

I'm more curious than concerned as I am very happy with our current teacher and my son is quite young, so with proper note reading, rudiments, different types of music styles included etc., I'm happy and so is my son.

Also, I would not like to turn drums into piano (hysteria) and sqeeze out the fun, so I am mostly asking, not suggesting what things should be like.

Re: Do I Need A New Drum Teacher? Checks and balances?

I have a general question here which I thought would fit in this thread rather than trying to start a new:

As a parent to a drum student, what would be some ways to check if things are moving in the right directions?

For example, are there standardized curriculums (perghsp in a country / state)?

"Festivals" like they have for piano, where students, by skill level, pick a couple of pieces among a selection and perform and then get a grade.

Desirable schools for serious drum training at a later stage (high school, college perhaps) where one can check what skills are tested at auditons?

I'm more curious than concerned as I am very happy with our current teacher and my son is quite young, so with proper note reading, rudiments, different types of music styles included etc., I'm happy and so is my son.

Also, I would not like to turn drums into piano (hysteria) and sqeeze out the fun, so I am mostly asking, not suggesting what things should be like.

Where are you from? The UK has some standardized courses/benchmark tests, while the US and other areas do not.

Jeff

As a learner drummer who is also the father of an 11 year old learner drummer, the biggest thing for the young 'un is this: Is he motivated to practise?

If the answer is "yes" then all is good. As you've realised, keeping it fun is key for a youngster to progress. I wouldn't even be too concerned about rate of progress, as long as there is application. When your kid gets older he can decide for himself what musical direction he wants to head in, and can then plot his own course.

I'm sure this will start a flaming war, but so be it. ;-)

Agree with most of what was said. What I did not see is what you are after which would dictate the kind of teacher, as there is a lot to learn in all different areans. If the goal is to read music and play in a philharmonic or to go to a high end music school, then you need to do a lot of homework to find a teacher that can address that goal. That is a very worthy goal. Same if you want to learn to read charts and play in a stage band, also a worthy goal. In these case you are choosing drums as your absolute profession.

If you just want to learn to play and be good, look for someone who can teach you to be a well rounded drummer; someone that forces you to learn counting and techniques for everything from rock to latin to 3/4 time to 5/4 time. What that does is makes you to pay attention to what you are doing, and then you start listening to the other musicians when you hear a song, and not just focus on the drummer. While you may not get it right now, as you get older you will understand why your teacher did that. In addition, it is important that you not just learn paradiddles, but to know how and where to use them. A lot more important than learning a particular song. Asking 'how did he do that' to your teacher is much better than 'show me how to play <some song>'

Last edited:
Unless you accidentally left off a zero when you said "he's been playing for 4 years", then yes. You need a different drum teacher. Not "new" per say, because that's actually the "newest" "drum teacher" I've ever heard of.

Back