Drum Mic for versatility/reliability

MascisMan

Narrowed down to the Beta 52, D6, and e902 (Sennheiser).

They all cost just about the same. The 52 and D6 are pretty proven. I don't know much about the e902 but it has received fantastic reviews.

Thoughts?

I won't be recording any metal or double bass. Mainly ranging from folk to indie/alternative rock.

They all cost just about the same. The 52 and D6 are pretty proven. I don't know much about the e902 but it has received fantastic reviews.

Thoughts?

I won't be recording any metal or double bass. Mainly ranging from folk to indie/alternative rock.

I've heard that the Audix D6 is a little clickier and is thus preferred for metal. Other than that, I can tell you that all 3 sound superb.

I have an audix D6 (Todd Sucharman endorses Audix) and it does sound better to me than the beta. The Audix sounds like it's pre-eq'd for the kick.

I use the Beta and I like it. Believe it or not, the Beta also makes and excellent vocal mic!

On paper, the beta looks like it could do that, given it's frequency response. It is a great mic. For someone like me who is just starting to do his own home recording, the D6 was less hassle. But I will point out that the beta's specs are superior (especially low end) and someone with at least intermediate experience can eq it just right.

On paper, the beta looks like it could do that, given it's frequency response. It is a great mic. For someone like me who is just starting to do his own home recording, the D6 was less hassle. But I will point out that the beta's specs are superior (especially low end) and someone with at least intermediate experience can eq it just right.

Sounds reasonable. The great drawback to the Beta is its large size. It's a great mike for the money, but the housing is just really large.

Take this for what it's worth. When I was asking the same question as you a few years ago (on several forums), the recommendations boiled down to: Shure Beta 52 for kick, Shure SM57 for snare, Sennheiser MD402 for toms, and Shure SM81 for overheads. I had little experience with mics and miking drums. I bought the Beta 52 and SM57, along with a pair of Shure KS109 mics for overheads (I got them for much less than the SM81s). I also didn't get tom mics because between my mics and a couple of room mics the toms recorded well. I've been very happy with the mics I bought and will likely add three or four of the Sennheiser MD402 (or the Shure Beta 98 clip-ons) in the future.

Thoughts?

These are all higher end quality mic’s. Anyone will do a great job. Once your at this level they are just tailored differently to separate one from the next.
It’s like cymbals and these are all quality B20 made stuff.

Until you really know what you want look for one that’s versatile, well made and a good value.
If you were recommending a quality cymbal to someone not sure of what sound they wanted you might say a Sabian AA or something in the Zil A line. Same with mic’s look at any of these and maybe the D112 and the ATM250.

Don’t be afraid to buy used as well! Call your local sound rental companies as they are always selling off the older stuff.

Audix D6 is an awesome kick drum mic and has excellent definition and a great low end - one of the best kick mics made (it is made to cater for the kick so is not good on guitars etc.) Not too keen on the AKG D112. Shure Beta's are good kick drum mic's too.

Shure SM 57's are great versatile/reliable all round mics, I use them in the studio for guitars/bass/toms/snare/vocals.

Im going to try out the e902.

Since I got it from GC I can swap it for a D112, Beta52, or D6 if I find it lacking...

Thanks for the help guys!

Take this for what it's worth. When I was asking the same question as you a few years ago (on several forums), the recommendations boiled down to: Shure Beta 52 for kick, Shure SM57 for snare, Sennheiser MD402 for toms, and Shure SM81 for overheads. I had little experience with mics and miking drums. I bought the Beta 52 and SM57, along with a pair of Shure KS109 mics for overheads (I got them for much less than the SM81s). I also didn't get tom mics because between my mics and a couple of room mics the toms recorded well. I've been very happy with the mics I bought and will likely add three or four of the Sennheiser MD402 (or the Shure Beta 98 clip-ons) in the future.

I would say shure 58/57 for overheads as well along with snare. When i mic kits i used shure 58 (58 and 57 are basically the same with different coverings) for both overheads and for the snare.

Have any of you heard of Avlex avs21's for tom/snare and Avlex avs20 for kick drum?
I own a set, I believe they are a subsidiary of Apex, the tom/snare mics have the same specs as 57s. They sound pretty good, I've played with 57s and I don't hear the difference.
It's just a thought, I've seen the Apex version on ebay and you can pick them up cheap.
I honestly believe that if you can get your hands on them you will be very impressed.
These ones come with the clips for the toms. They're very sturdy and don't affect drum resonance, plus they are so easy to transport compared to mic stands.
I'ld like to hear if anyone else has used these.

Back