Florian Alexandru- Zorn Drum Clinic

JohnnyG

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
I just returned home from another great clinic at Seminole Music and Sound and tonight it was Florian Zorn. Promoted as an educator and instructor known for his brush work, this guy is a drummer, a percussionist, and does indeed play some wicked brushes. His technique is impeccable and showed everyone that brushes are not just for jazz as most of us there probably thought. I was mesmerized watching him play some jazz, but also some funk, some latin rhythms, almost anything he wants. He has worked his way through all of the rudiment and stick books playing all of the exercises with brushes. I told him at one point that I thought the lack of questions was because we didn't know enough about the art to ask any intelligent questions. He was playing a Sonor Select Force kit, Jungle set up, with 16 x 16 bass 12 inch rack and 14 inch floor tom. That little bass drum had some serious punch. All in all a great evening. If any of you guys and gals get a chance to see any drummer near you go. Think outside of the box and learn some things beyond the rock genre. It can only help down the road.

http://youtu.be/LqVBiOAoVME
http://youtu.be/gjDEMfakGM4
http://youtu.be/lYxZdbdFZuU

Take a look

Attachments

• CIMG1427.JPG
    CIMG1427.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 842
  • CIMG1433.JPG
    CIMG1433.JPG
    159.9 KB · Views: 728
  • CIMG1443.JPG
    CIMG1443.JPG
    157.8 KB · Views: 877
Last edited:
My Percussion professor is going to see him at PASIC. I so wish I was there. I enjoy his book so much.

He is only 27 years old and is very modest about his skills but I can't believe it would be easier to find someone better.

Wish I could see him live. His book is really great and I especially love the funk stuff.

I'm biased toward the set he played on as I have the same. The bass drum is indeed a killer.

He has spent a lot of time learning his trade. After growing up on rock music he turned to brushes. He showed all or most of the rudiments using brushes and told us the main thing and the challange was learning to do with a side to side motion what we all do with an up and down motion. He was truly amazing.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the clinic! Florian certainly is an incredibly talented musician and does a great job of presenting his ideas.

Nice photos :)

Cheers!

Absolutely more of the amazing by FAZ. Watch the overhead on the left side. This is not your Daddy's Guy Lombardo brush work. Was a pleasure to see FAZ in person and learn a bunch. Still mesmerized. Thanks Sir.

FAZ,
you have a cool new song there. I love the dark/suspended atmosphere. Also quite groovy to my ears!! Plus Bernd does great guitar work also.

Wow, I needed quite some time the figure the FAZ out... I was hooked on Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung for some reason.... hahaha

Florian, I've watched all your videos and have worked out of your book a tiny bit: I think you're a fantastic player and I think it's great you found your "niche" with the whole brush thing.

I used to live in Mannheim and almost studied drums there but then moved away (sadly - love the area). I heard you studied in Mannheim with Michael Küttner? How was that?

Wow, I needed quite some time the figure the FAZ out... I was hooked on Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung for some reason.... hahaha

Florian, I've watched all your videos and have worked out of your book a tiny bit: I think you're a fantastic player and I think it's great you found your "niche" with the whole brush thing.

I used to live in Mannheim and almost studied drums there but then moved away (sadly - love the area). I heard you studied in Mannheim with Michael Küttner? How was that?

yes my teacher has been Michael Küttner see how small the world is ;)
nice to e-meet you!

Back