Throne keeps lowering.

cDark3r

My drum throne (similar to the Pearl D-730s) keeps collapsing slowly while I play. It pisses me off. I tighten the wing-nut and the memorylock as tight as I can with my hands but it makes no difference. That should be enough right? Do anyone have a solution?

You need to upgrade to a spindle-type throne. Pearl's D-1000N is perfect. Relying on the wing nut and memriloc to hold your weight is just asking for trouble.

You could set it where you like it, then drill a hole through the down tube and insert a bolt in it. That's how the older light thrones used to stay at height.
Yeah I use a über cheap East throne as a replacement and the floor is softer and more comfortable than that.
Thinking about buying the Gibraltar 9608-2TGW or the 9608. Both seems to be reasonably priced. Not sure if I want a motostyled throne though. Any help on that topic?

My drum throne (similar to the Pearl D-730s) keeps collapsing slowly while I play. It pisses me off. I tighten the wing-nut and the memorylock as tight as I can with my hands but it makes no difference. That should be enough right? Do anyone have a solution?

Hand tight is not enough on the wing nut, use your sticks (lube the wing nut up first) or carefully use a pair of pliers, just a hair past tight, you'll feel when it can't go anymore. That little extra will make the difference. Also tighten the memory lock till it starts to distort, eventually you'll bottom out the memory lock, pot metal stretches, GIBRALTAR has replacements, the PEARL tube is probably 1" thereabouts.

Start saving for a spindle type throne base.

Yeah I use a über cheap East throne as a replacement and the floor is softer and more comfortable than that.
Thinking about buying the Gibraltar 9608-2TGW or the 9608. Both seems to be reasonably priced. Not sure if I want a motostyled throne though. Any help on that topic?

I have both - I have a Roc-n-Soc "moto"-type throne, and regular round ones, and I like both. I grew up on round ones though and that's what I'm more comfortable with. It's up to you. Some guys like the bicycle style seat more. I'm kinda "meh" on them.

I have both - I have a Roc-n-Soc "moto"-type throne, and regular round ones, and I like both. I grew up on round ones though and that's what I'm more comfortable with. It's up to you. Some guys like the bicycle style seat more. I'm kinda "meh" on them.

Can't go wrong with either one I guess. The closest music store is 45 minutes away and last time I checked they had one throne. So I have to order it online.

Can't go wrong with either one I guess. The closest music store is 45 minutes away and last time I checked they had one throne. So I have to order it online.

If it's gonna be around $100, might as well get a good one. The DW spindle thrones are great, as are Yamahas, Tamas. Pearls, Ludwig, Roc n Soc, Pork PIe.....frankly, I don't know why they even make thrones that aren't spindles - you eventually upgrade anyway - like when you buy cheap cymbals!

The ultimate would be either a DW or a Ludwig cannister throne (fixed height)! They can double as small storage cases too, but they're really expensive.

My drum throne (similar to the Pearl D-730s) keeps collapsing slowly while I play. It pisses me off.

Mine used to do the same thing. I noticed that I was always hitting the snare rim and realized that the throne had spun down (a little bit at a time as I got on/off) and I was like 4" too low, squatting like a Neanderthal.

In my case, 1) the seat was not spinning freely around the post and 2) the set screw thing wasn't doing a great job on the threaded portion.

Back