The best reasons to become a drummer?

I became a drummer because I wanted to, nothing more. It was an urge I had ever since I was a small child. The drums have always stuck out to me in music, and I always wanted to play them. After 23 years of playing the reason is still the same, because I want to.

Drums are cool.
Drums sound great.
Drums look great.
Drums are a hobby that can make you happy.
Drums make everybody in a band happy.
Drummers are cool.
All genres (except bluegrass) need drums or percussion.
Drums are a release for the natural rhythm in every human being.
Drums are something to spend your money on, instead of crack or pills.
Drums require no cape to play.
Drums require all limbs to play.
Drums utilize a tempered ego.
Drummers are the behind-the-scenes backbone of a band.
Drums use sticks.
There are beautiful and complex woods, metals and materials that go into the sounds of every drumset.
Drums are totally , purely 'acoustic'.
Drumming is a journey that never ends.
Drums and drummers just ....'are the bomb'

For it's because it's fun. I have a day job that's not fun.

In rock, pop, blues, jazz, R&B, metal, and screamo, the drums are the backbone of the music. People don't tap their feet or shake their booty to the lyrics, they move to the drums.

I would pick the ten that are in your article. Are you writing another article?

I became a drummer because I enjoyed hitting the drum I had as a child while listening to music. The best reason for playing drums is because you want to, you enjoy the process etc.
You Love It!!!!

There was a eureka moment about 6 months in to learning the instrument that was extremely gratifying. I kinda felt like I "got it", or at least I now understood lifelong journey I needed to take to "get it". It was almost a profound moment and was reason enough to have picked up the sticks in the first place. While it wasn't something that motivated me to begin playing, it certainly has been the wellspring of my confidence since then.

It's just the feeling - how the sticks feel in your hands, and how it feels on the drum heads. Nothing else is quite like that.

Mind you, i'm slightly worse the wear for beer - I may regret admitting that! :)

That's a nice enough list but I would quibble with the very first item: "Percussion is the heartbeat to every musical style". Whoever wrote the piece doesn't get out much. I listen to plenty of music that doesn't have drums or any other form of percussion for that matter.

I stand behind what I said in my earlier post. It is the funnest instrument. There's not a whole lot of fun in my life. I've felt too much pain and I've known too much sorrow. So despite my lack of skills in life, I am a fun-loving individual and I still have fun playing drums. I like it more than guitar.

For awhile I was happy just having some skills on drums enough to lay down a beat to my own songs. Over time though, guitar and songwriting started becoming less and less important to me and the drums just kept being fun to play. They held my interest. I like patterns too. I see patterns everywhere.

It's the pulse of life. Somebody has to drive that beat!

One does not become a drummer; one simply is, or is not.

Wow, that sounds pretentious! But I've always been a drummer, even before I started playing, which was first as an 11-year-old, then again as a 49-year-old, with decades in between where I played no drums, only (shudder) guitar.

Even when I was a guitar player, I was a drummer.

It's like those guys who realize one day that they're really women inside. They don't "become" women -- they just finally accept who and what they are.

That's how it is with drummers.

(Except a couple of guys who posted above who are just in it for something to do, whom I don't understand, but that's OK, too.)

I stand behind what I said in my earlier post. It is the funnest instrument. ...

I like patterns too. I see patterns everywhere.

Yes, this, too They're fun!

I see patterns everywhere, too, and it's damned annoying at times. Never thought about it being related to drumming, but that makes sense.

It's the pulse of life. Somebody has to drive that beat!

One does not become a drummer; one simply is, or is not.

Wow, that sounds pretentious! But I've always been a drummer, even before I started playing, which was first as an 11-year-old, then again as a 49-year-old, with decades in between where I played no drums, only (shudder) guitar.

Even when I was a guitar player, I was a drummer.

It's like those guys who realize one day that they're really women inside. They don't "become" women -- they just finally accept who and what they are.

That's how it is with drummers.

(Except a couple of guys who posted above who are just in it for something to do, whom I don't understand, but that's OK, too.)

And how do you know if this is you?

When everywhere you go you are tapping your hands, fingers, feet to the music in your head.

A popular refrain from my mother when I was younger was "PAUL, STOP TAPPING!"

Best reason is because you ARE a drummer.

If you have a choice, its probably not worth it.

I drum because Phil drums.

I like Nancy's line, one simply is, or is not.

I had a former g/f ask me why I picked drums. I said I didn't pick them they picked me. It was not a conscious choice. It was something that's been in me since birth.

Back