where to get a transcription?

davor

Hi folks,

Does anyone know how to go about getting a couple of bars transcribed? Is there a site that offers a service that anyone can recommend? I’m listening closely to a hi hat pattern and can’t quite work it out.

Just on the off-chance that anyone knows it - the track is Columbia by Oasis (no jokes about easy/ terrible drums in oasis please haha!)

I come up against this problem sometimes, where I end up playing straight eighth notes in my band when I cant work out the actual pattern.

Any pointers would be great :)

I'll have a listen tonight. Where exactly in the song is the hi-hat pattern you're stuck on?

The pattern runs through the whole song, but its quite trashy sounding so I cant quite determine what's being played!

I've also had a look at live versions but the cameras never seem to stay long enough for me to make it out.

Thanks for offering to listen/help!

I'd like to be able transcribe - but as I can't really determine what's being played by listening closely, I'd be unsure what to transcribe. Unless there is perhaps a way of slowing down the track or something?

The trashiness is muddying it somewhat for me. I'm wondering if the hi-hats are being opened a bit more at certain points too.

the basic groove is a 16th note hi hat thing w/ accents on the "ands" as open hi hats. essential a rock / disco groove. xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx - hats with open notes on all the "ands". kick on 1 /3 and snare on 2/4. might be kick on all quarters (laptop speakers)?

some other subtle things happening w/ stick clicks in the beginning on 1 + 2 + 3+ 4+. Then goes to only 16th on the hats accenting downbeats then the "ands" before the groove kicks in w/ BD and snare. but yeah, noisy / live recording. something tells me it was played with alternating hands on the hats, not one handed Porcaro style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QyF5UdhBJI

I'd like to be able transcribe - but as I can't really determine what's being played by listening closely, I'd be unsure what to transcribe. Unless there is perhaps a way of slowing down the track or something?

The trashiness is muddying it somewhat for me. I'm wondering if the hi-hats are being opened a bit more at certain points too.

The only way you learn is to start doing it. Figure out what you can figure out. It's not hard, and you learn a lot.

Yes, agreed to trying to work it out yourself, even your mistakes and errors in the process will teach you something about how things are played.

That being said, because I'm curious and can't help myself, this is my interpretation of what's going on on the Hi Hat. Capital letters are accented and lower case are softer, x is closed and O is open, S is Snare hit. Obviously there's variation because he's human but this is what i heard listening first 30 seconds of the groove:

XxOO SxOO XxOO SxoO

the basic groove is a 16th note hi hat thing w/ accents on the "ands" as open hi hats. essential a rock / disco groove. xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx - hats with open notes on all the "ands". kick on 1 /3 and snare on 2/4. might be kick on all quarters (laptop speakers)?

some other subtle things happening w/ stick clicks in the beginning on 1 + 2 + 3+ 4+. Then goes to only 16th on the hats accenting downbeats then the "ands" before the groove kicks in w/ BD and snare. but yeah, noisy / live recording. something tells me it was played with alternating hands on the hats, not one handed Porcaro style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QyF5UdhBJI

Pretty much spot on. Couple of things I noticed. Kick is playing all 1/8ths during the stick clicking, and I think for the duration of the song, as I can definitely hear some 'ands' during the main groove. The stick clicks at the start play one bar of 1/8ths accenting the 1/4 downbeat, this sounds like a count in bar. Then the stick clicks continue plus 1/8th hi-hats and the 1/8th note kick drum strokes. This sounds like 1/16ths between clicks and hi-hat, so I'm guessing he's continuing 1/8th clicks on the rim unless he's foot splashing the hi-hat. Then of course the main 'disco' groove as you described.

While not taking anything away from the desire to nail the drum part, remember that if you can't make it out clearly, most people won't be able to either.

Play your best approximation of what you hear, and keep listening and refining what you play.

..remember that if you can't make it out clearly, most people won't be able to either..

When following that theory we may as well skip all the drumming education in the world since basically most people are not knowing/caring about the quality of a drummer anyway..

Not very accurate in comparison to what I hear on the song.

I'm not vouching for the validity. The OP asked about where to get a transcript. I've noticed some online transcripts aren't exact or sometimes "close enough" to songs I've researched before. But now the OP has a potential resource for future searches.

I'm not vouching for the validity. The OP asked about where to get a transcript. I've noticed some online transcripts aren't exact or sometimes "close enough" to songs I've researched before. But now the OP has a potential resource for future searches.

I appreciate what you're saying and those tabs are fine as a general transcription.

But with all due respect there's not much point having a resource which doesn't accurately represent some of the drum part. More specifically, the OP was trying to work out the hi-hat part which both double_G and myself have detailed and which is not what those tabs show.

Hello all! Thanks for all the input (didn’t realise my post would generate a couple of differences of opinion here and there haha!)

This will actually be the first song I’ve learned with 16th hi hats, and having given it a quick go, its not going to come overnight (!)…

But once I’ve got it down, I’m sure I’ll be able to apply this to lots of other stuff :)

Davor,
If you ever need a custom transcription, I highly recommend Dan at Drumscore.com. If you email him directly, he can usually help at a very reasonable amount. A lot of the time, he already has the drum part already within his catalog. Also, John Kerr at JKDrumsolutions is another great resources. He was always a big help. Not to mention Terry Branam and Korompay on this forum are highly skilled experts who can write out anything, no matter how advanced.
I play in cover bands, and always look for charts that can save me time learning parts quickly. All of these guys also have tons of pure drum solo transcriptions, too. Good luck,

Back