2010 Football World Cup-South Africa

Well, my knowledge of soccer rules is almost below 0%. I've been told that the kick to the chest was the only mistake we've made. Maybe we did more things wrong, but so did the Spanish team. And they only got one card. Still feels akward.

My knowledge of soccer rules is pretty slim too and I was pulling for the Dutch before the game, but when I saw how they played I switched to rooting for Spain. I liked Spain's attacking style better too. They seemed to be going for it more.

The dirty play and the orange jerseys reminded me of the Philadelphia Flyers too much.

Congrats Spain!

Last edited:
Well, sorry, but it just looked like the Dutch (we) couldn't even make a minor move or a yellow card got pulled out of the referee's pockets. That just does not in any way hold up in comparison to the Spanish team, who made just as many moves and at least some of them were yellow card worthy. Honestly, most yellow cards we got were unfair, (and no, I'm NOT implying that we didn't do anything wrong). In comparison to the number of things we did wrong it just doesn't hold up. To me, it was an unfair game, and I'm not just saying this because we lost. I would've also said this if we won.

To me, it was an unfair game, and I'm not just saying this because we lost. I would've also said this if we won.

Probably not ;) As you said, you have a limited knowledge of the game and it does take some experience to tell the difference between a yellow card offense and a tough but legal tackle. By any measure it's very hard to say that Holland were hard done by. They played a dirty game and were outclassed.

No I honeslty would. I'm not saying this because we lost, we were indeed technically out classed.

It just does not hold up. The number of yellow cards versus the number of true penalties.. I'd say, don't just look at the number of cards we got. I exaggerated stating that only one card was valid, but all ten? No way. Looking at the game, it felt like everytime we tackled a player of te Spanish team was a penalty. Not to mention the many times where a Spanish player tackled one of ours and did not get a card. Not every tackling action is a penalty of course, but it felt like every tackling action we undertook wás a penalty, on the contrary to Spain who undertook several tackling actions and only got one card. Not every tackle the Dutch team made was a penalty, yet we still would get a card for it.

I remember watching the game, and on several occasions a Spanish player just fell to the ground when a Dutch player got close to him, making it look like a tackle whilst it wasn't. And of course, we got a yellow card for it. This is why I'm saying we didn't play as dirty as the entire world now believes, as that terrible kick to the chest is now emphesized and used as an example of our playing during the game.

And yés, that very kick to the chest was indeed outrageous, should've been a red card.

I remember watching the game, and on several occasions a Spanish player just fell to the ground when a Dutch player got close to him, making it look like a tackle whilst it wasn't.
That's football (unfortunately). I wouldn't necessarily discuss this for too long as someone whose knowledge is almost below zero. You have to watch a reasonable amount of football games, then you'll have some more perspective.
This is why I'm saying we didn't play as dirty as the entire world now believes
Have you seen the other matches of the Dutch team?

Probably not ;) As you said, you have a limited knowledge of the game and it does take some experience to tell the difference between a yellow card offense and a tough but legal tackle. By any measure it's very hard to say that Holland were hard done by. They played a dirty game and were outclassed.

It takes some experience but it is also very subjective as to the Referee. I have watched the World cup finals ref many times on the BPL matches and he can be very inconsistent. They all can. He gets one angle and must call it from that perspective. They get some help from the lines oficials but not that much. They, the refs, seem to have a notion as to how rough a team is and starts prejudging calls based on that. It is very unfortunate.

Indeed, football's in dire need of additional technology and/or officials; the tournament showed that the judgment of one ref isn't adequate. I still feel that Webb's major failing, apart from not sending de Jong off, was not being tougher on repeat offenses.

I can't see that Webb was prejudiced against Holland to start with, anyone with eyes could see how dirty they were playing. It was their tactic, not a reaction.

Funny that we're still talking about one of the worst games of one of the worst World Cups :p

Anyhow, we lost. Here in Holland we've continued with our lives, and so have I. There is no such thing as a time machine sadly, so this is all we can do...

... Other than boycotting Spain for the next 4 years that is. :)

Anyhow, we lost. Here in Holland we've continued with our lives, and so have I. There is no such thing as a time machine sadly, so this is all we can do...

... Other than boycotting Spain for the next 4 years that is. :)

Sod that for game of soilders, were will we go for our Holidays

Back