English drummer killed in attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously? People in Detroit have been affected by the murder of this British soldier?

I guess you were affected enough by it to read this thread, right? Me, too.

News travels fast in the age of the internets.

I guess you were affected enough by it to read this thread, right? Me, too.

News travels fast in the age of the internets.

Well, no. I'm actually not affected by it at all, to be completely honest. You just can't be affected by everything, can you?

And I still don't see the impact this would have on the citizens on Detroit, I mean I don't see any connection, sorry.

Well, no. I'm actually not affected by it at all, to be completely honest. You just can't be affected by everything, can you?

I guess not.

On the other hand, we're both sad that Ed Shaughnessy has passed. Even though I'm here in Detroit and you're in the lumpen post-industrial district.

I guess not.

On the other hand, we're both sad that Ed Shaughnessy has passed. Even though I'm here in Detroit and you're in the lumpen post-industrial district.

I'm surprised at how sad I actually feel about Ed Shaughnessy dying.

Everyone in the UK and the USA should be affected by this. This is a scary thing to happen and for, finally, there to be at-home brutal terrorism on our streets that's isn't orchestrated by our own governments (yes, I mean 9/11 and 7/7, even a monkey could see that was nothing to do with Al Qaeda!) is a big shock to people!

People need to turn off their televisions and read a bit more - thats the only way to protect yourself from the scaremongering and biased media output that the government rely on to control their citizens

Everyone in the UK and the USA should be affected by this. This is a scary thing to happen and for, finally, there to be at-home brutal terrorism on our streets that's isn't orchestrated by our own governments (yes, I mean 9/11 and 7/7, even a monkey could see that was nothing to do with Al Qaeda!) is a big shock to people!

People need to turn off their televisions and read a bit more - thats the only way to protect yourself from the scaremongering and biased media output that the government rely on to control their citizens
A not even remotely political post ;)

I just heard that more arrest have been made in connection with this young mans murder.So do you thing there is some kind of terrorist knife wielding death squad running around over there? very disturbing news you folks need to be very alert of your surroundings

Well, now you've got me wondering. Not to be confrontational or disagreeable in any way, but I'm curious to know how the murder of this British soldier affects us all?

I think it demonstrates that terrorism isn't confined to just a few countries, or the US.It's a global pandemic that effects every citizen of planet earth,no matter what nationality or beliefs they hold.

This soldier was beheaded in broad daylight,for what? Because he was a soldier.

People,all people have to realize that an attack of that nature is insanity and pure hatred personified.It was the complete antithisis of rational thinking.

This should serve to remind all of us,that if you see something,say something.

If as a rational being,you see a person or group of people doing something that seems out of place.....call the police,the FBI,Scotland yard,call law enforcement right away.It's your duty as a citizen of your country,and it's just the right thing to do,before this or what happened in Boston a month ago,happens in your neck of the woods.

Humans are fairly intuitive creaturers,trust your own.

Steve B.

Steve B

Last edited:

And I still don't see the impact this would have on the citizens on Detroit, I mean I don't see any connection, sorry.
I agree with you that you can't be affected by everything and I'm not saying we have to grieve and mourn the loss of every single person on the planet.
However, if you've become so de-sensitised to violence that when a person (not to mention soldier, father and fellow drummer) is run down and then hacked to death with machetes like a piece of meat and you don't even bat an eyelid- well, I feel sorry for you TBH.

And why do you choose not to conspire about this event?

I agree with you that you can't be affected by everything and I'm not saying we have to grieve and mourn the loss of every single person on the planet.
However, if you've become so de-sensitised to violence that when a person (not to mention soldier, father and fellow drummer) is run down and then hacked to death with machetes like a piece of meat and you don't even bat an eyelid- well, I feel sorry for you TBH.

Well, I can assure you that I've not become desensitized to violence.

I don't know about the fellow drummer thing. That's taking it a bit far, isn't it?

Well, I can assure you that I've not become desensitized to violence.

I don't know about the fellow drummer thing. That's taking it a bit far, isn't it?

Didn't mean to imply that we were all best buddies with the guy or anything but he was a drummer (as we all are on this forum)- therefore, he was a fellow drummer.

Didn't mean to imply that we were all best buddies with the guy or anything but he was a drummer (as we all are on this forum)- therefore, he was a fellow drummer.

If he'd been a member of this forum then yes, of course I could understand the reaction.

But the thing is, nobody'd ever heard of him before he was a victim. And we wouldn't give a monkey's arse about him anyway if the news hadn't reported that he'd been a snare drummer in the army.

Really now.

If he'd been a member of this forum then yes, of course I could understand the reaction.

But the thing is, nobody'd ever heard of him before he was a victim. And we wouldn't give a monkey's arse about him anyway if the news hadn't reported that he'd been a snare drummer in the army.

Really now.
You're right- no-one on this forum would have given a "monkey's arse" that a human being was butchered in the street (what's the big deal- happens every day right)? It was only the fact that he was a drummer that we cared about the story.

Really now.

You're right- no-one on this forum would have given a "monkey's arse" that a human being was butchered in the street (what's the big deal- happens every day right)? It was only the fact that he was a drummer that we cared about the story.

Really now.

You've missed the point, though. If you'd never heard of him, why would you care about him?

Jay, I think what people are saying is they were disturbed by the story. It's pretty gruesome and seems to cross a boundary where we figured that we'd be safe from this kind of attack in populated areas in broad daylight.

Obviously it's still very unlikely (much less risk than car crashes etc) but now we know it's possible. People don't like these kinds of boundaries being crossed. It feels like a loss - not just in personal terms but also felt more widely.

You've missed the point, though. If you'd never heard of him, why would you care about him?

OK let's try it from this angle- do you have a complete lack of empathy for this man and the circumstances of how he died?
You are correct in that I don't care in the same way I would if someone close to me had died (and no, his death doesn't directly affect my daily life) but I can at least empathise (the key word here) with this guys family and what they're going through.
Maybe I've misunderstood (wouldn't be the first time) but your posts seem to be suggesting that since nobody here on this forum knew him personally (as far as I know) we waive the right to care about the wider issues surrounding this horrific event?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back