SgtThump

Platinum Member
Comparing 5 snare drums in the following order:

- Pearl Sensitone Elite Brass 5" x 14"
- Ludwig Supraphonic Brass 6.5" x 14"
- Ludwig Acrolite Classic 6.5" x 14"
- Pearl Masters MCX Maple 5.5" x 14"
- Gretsch Full Range Retro Mahogany 6.5" x 14"

Using a Yamaha Live Custom (oak) drumset with clear Ambassadors on both sides. Remo Powerstroke 3 on the bass drum batter with coated Ambassador on the bass drum reso. Evans EQ pillow inside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyuQoaSRNjw

Curious what you folks think?

The drums sound monstrous! All the snares sounded quite good. I'm finding, lately, that I don't love brass as much as I once did. My favorite was the Pearl maple, followed by the Acro, then the Gretsch.

BTW - how did you record that? Did you add any EQ?

Thanks for the comparison, Sgt.

The drums sound monstrous! All the snares sounded quite good. I'm finding, lately, that I don't love brass as much as I once did. My favorite was the Pearl maple, followed by the Acro, then the Gretsch.

BTW - how did you record that? Did you add any EQ?

Thanks for the comparison, Sgt.

Hey, thanks man! I recorded the clips using two Sterling Audio large diaphragm condenser mics as overheads and a Shure SM57 on the bass drum. Ran it into a mixer with the EQ flat on all three channels, no effects, into the line in jack on a Zoom Q3HD recorder.

Ever have one of those days where everything sounds killer? Today is that day for me for whatever reason! LOL... I'm digging these snares and this Yamaha kit bigtime!

Hey, thanks man! I recorded the clips using two Sterling Audio large diaphragm condenser mics as overheads and a Shure SM57 on the bass drum. Ran it into a mixer with the EQ flat on all three channels, no effects, into the line in jack on a Zoom Q3HD recorder.

Ever have one of those days where everything sounds killer? Today is that day for me for whatever reason! LOL... I'm digging these snares and this Yamaha kit bigtime!

Excellent! The whole kit sounds great. Nice work!

Yeah, everything sounds good. There isn't a dud amongst them.

If you held a gun to my head, I would go with the Pearl Maple.

Sounds great! Snares, the rest of the kit and I'm really digging those cymbals a lot. What are those hi hats?

I have the CoB Supraphonic, and mine sounds a lot like that too. A nice meaty rattle for lack of a better description. And I agree with IDD that brass isn't doing it for me as much as it once did too. I have a Tama Walnut drum I just keep coming back to no matter what else I *think* I want to play on.

My favorite was the Gretsch mahogany, followed by the Pearl maple, and the Acrolite. I think the brass drums were nice, but I like the more focused tone of the two wood drums and there's just something about the "honk" of an aluminum drum I really love.

Thanks for sharing!

:)

they all sound great. My preferences would the Ludwig Supra, and the Pearl MCX if I had to pick.

Set sounds great with Ambs over Ambs!

When I watched the video earlier my first thought was the Pearl maple as my first choice but the more I listen to the Pearl brass I am really digging the cutting power of that snare. It's a bit sharper and more sensitive than the MCX. My picks would be as follows:

1. Pearl Sensitone Elite Brass
2. Ludwig Supraphonic Brass
3. Pearl Masters MCX Maple
4. Ludwig Acrolite Classic
5. Gretsch Full Range Retro Mahogany

Nothing against Gretsch, just what I like to hear is all. That Pearl brass has a killer tone where it's at but I like to tune higher for that ear piercing crack and would love to hear it tuned up a bit higher. Great video Thump, thanks. Helps me to know what I may like out of a snare drum and brass seems to have that cut and sensitivity I'm looking for.

My favorite was the Gretsch Mahogany. I have a 10 lug Gretsch Retro Mahogany in 6.5x14 that I got used for $60 and it sounds superb as well. It sounds better than a lot of the higher end wood snares that I've had in the past.

My second favorite was the Pearl brass. Great tone and cut.

3. Ludwig Supra Brass
4. Pearl MCX Maple
5. Ludwig Acro

My favorite was the Gretsch Mahogany. I have a 10 lug Gretsch Retro Mahogany in 6.5x14 that I got used for $60 and it sounds superb as well. It sounds better than a lot of the higher end wood snares that I've had in the past.

My second favorite was the Pearl brass. Great tone and cut.

3. Ludwig Supra Brass
4. Pearl MCX Maple
5. Ludwig Acro

Nice! This Gretsch of mine is apparently the bottom snare listed on this page:

http://www.gretschdrums.com/?fa=snaresub&sid=613

It has really nice classic looks and a fat deep kind of tone to it, but is still cutting. I figured it could be dark sounding, but I wouldn't say that. It has really full lows, but cuts right through and is loud (which was also a surprise.)

Pretty cool snare!

...That Pearl brass has a killer tone where it's at but I like to tune higher for that ear piercing crack and would love to hear it tuned up a bit higher...

I agree! I actually tuned it up SLIGHTLY higher last night after making this video and it made a nice difference. I think I may keep the brass sensitone up high for a funk sound. I may use it off the left as an aux snare (which I've never used before.)

All great sounding drums and well tuned, I am partial to the Acro though.

+1.........The entire kit sounded great.................just something special sounding about that acro. The Remo CS head sounded great on it too.

Cool collection of snares

Awesome demo

I'd have to say the aluminum and maple snares are top in my book.

I love the Supra brass and mahogany too though.. those two tied for second, but for different reasons obviously because they sound so different.

Sorry I didnt answer. All cymbals are Paiste Giant Beats. 15" hats, 18" and 20" multi's and 24" ride.

Nice! I figured they were either Giant Beat or 602's. I love how those lines have a nice mellow tone AND that trademark Paiste glassiness. I love my 2002 Sound Edge hats but they'll take your head off if you're not careful... :)

Nice! I figured they were either Giant Beat or 602's. I love how those lines have a nice mellow tone AND that trademark Paiste glassiness. I love my 2002 Sound Edge hats but they'll take your head off if you're not careful... :)

I've got a full set of 2002s as well and I know what you mean about the Sound Edge hats! Love 'em, though. Between the Giant Beats and 2002s, I'm not sure there's any sound I can't cover!

Man, I love Paiste cymbals. I am completely spoiled by their absolutely beautiful shimmering tone. :)

Wow. Tough choice.

the Pearl Sensitone was clearly the winner for me.

but the rest were so close, yet only missing a little something.

but i will say that the Pearl Masters seemed to give you a little something extra. Butter, baby. pure Speed Butter.

1. Sensitone
2. ehhh Gretsch Mahogany
3. ehhh Pearl Masters
4. errrrr Acrolite
5. Supraphonic

I agree! I actually tuned it up SLIGHTLY higher last night after making this video and it made a nice difference. I think I may keep the brass sensitone up high for a funk sound. I may use it off the left as an aux snare (which I've never used before.)

Nice! I kind of figured it would be a firecracker a bit higher up. I have to be honest, the more I listened to your video the more I was really REALLY digging the Ludwig Supra as well! Those two would be tied for first in my book.

PS: Notice the increase of Ludwig snare threads lately lol? I'm wondering if your video is the culprit lol! Thanks for the reply Sgt. :)

XD

Back