[REDACTED]

I also subscribe to the "do what's best for you" philosophy after having the "THIS is how you do it" perspective thrust uopn me. As a massage therapist, I can give you my perspective, based on hands-on experience, that we are NOT all the same, anatomically.

When I teach lessons, I teach the students the basic mechanics (fulcrum, balance point, wrists/fingers, etc...), but I let them develop the nuances of their particular grip.

It would be much worse being limited mentally than physically. I think Steve Houghton(maybe Ed Soph) said drumming is 90% mental and 10% physically, i think the point being you have to understand how your body functions naturally...

I subscribe to the "Do what WORKS" theory so much that I put it in my sig.

After years of making little to no progress with any variant of matched grip, I tried playing traditional grip just as a goofing around thing. Yeah, there was a period of awkwardness, but I liked the way it looked....as silly as it sounds, so I stuck with it. After about day 5 of this, I sat down behind the kit held the sticks in traditional grip and I just felt this incredible sensation that this is how my hand just wanted to hold the stick. Nothing ever felt more natural than having my hand under the stick.

So yeah I totally agree that our bodies are all different and react differently to force and pressure.

The best technique is the one that is ergonomically comfortable for you that does your body, limbs no harm, and is effifcient in movement. If you watch Olympic swimmers doing the same stroke all within .00 seconds of each other they will not look the same. do what works for you. Back in the day when Mark Spitz won 7 gold medals there were swimming coaches that said that his technique was horrible. But who was going to change it.

I think the idea is that there are better ways and worse ways, and those that have been around a while would like us to do what they think is best. If there was only one right way we would all be left-handed or right-handed. We take a general premise and tweek it to fit us. Do we really think that clothing only comes in small medium and large. How many different sized people wear medium size shirts?

Last edited:
I think it's more along the lines of agreeing with you, but offering our different interpretations of the concept.

Not sure why that would rub you the wrong way. Would you rather us all completely disagree with you?

You seem to crave acceptance and to be taken seriously, yet continually flip your lid at the drop of a hat. What gives mate? I don't get it. This all too frequent, overly dramatic, stomping of the feet and picking up your bat and ball and going home is just so unnecessary. It's just bloody childish mate, honestly. Chill out on the 'teenage angst' bit a little. It's getting old.

The way I'm reading it, everyone agrees with you.....as do I.

But really, if you can't play nicely in the sand pit with the other kids then maybe you are better served on the snare forum.

I don't see anything in your first two posts that mentions marching whatsoever. I spoke only in general terms. But I don't understand the attitude. I'm not sure how we could all be saying the same thing you did and be disagreeing at the same time. Off to work. Have a better day

Back