Strainer on Mapex 10" snare

timmdrum

Gold Member
So, I have this little aux snare, which I like OK, although I think I'd rather have a 12", but I digress. Anyway, it's steel, and I play some reggae, so I like to turn the snares off and use it as a timbale. However, it seems the strainer doesn't release the snares very far away from the bottom head, so even though I have it mounted completely horizontal (left of my hh), the snares rattle when I hit it just moderately hard. It's not that it doesn't completely disengage- I don't think the strainer is broken- it just doesn't move downward far enough... Is it just a poorly designed strainer, that replacing with a better one will fix by providing a longer downward travel distance when disengaging?

Thought of that, and may try it, although I've always tried to make the snares as centered as possible... would it make a difference when the snares are ON if I moved 'em over to the strainer side?

I think it is because you have the strainer on too tight when in the "on"position. Maybe try loosening it up a little when on, then try it on off.

Nah, it's actually on the verge of being too loose & rattle-y when on. With a couple of counter-clockwise nudges with my fingertips, it'll be barely touching. I guess it's just a cheapo throw without a lot of downward movement. Not that I've measured it against others (maybe I should!) but I've never had the problem when playing any of my primary snares with the strainer disengaged...

Back