Pitch Training?

It would help in tuning for sure. When tapping around the drum by each lug to see if all are tuned the same it would help, and for those that tune their toms to a certain interval it would be necessary.

As a caveat, I don't have perfect pitch, but with a good bit of training I've developed a decent sense of relative pitch as well as other ear training related tidbits like hearing chord qualities or picking out a chord progression by ear. (And as a footnote, having decent relative pitch doesn't mean I can sing worth anything, it just means my ear is more capable than before of discerning the melodic and harmonic movement of a song.)

In practice, it hasn't been of much use to me in playing drums. It does, however, free you from the "stupid drummer" stereotype when the band you're playing with actually realizes you fully understand what they're talking about, or when you make an intelligent suggestion outside of the realm of drums. I wouldn't train your ear to make yourself a better drummer, but it does make you more of a professional. My two cents, anyway.

I have always wondered about this and its best application seems to be tuning.

Not to hijack the thread, but what pitch should you set your toms and other drums at? I have a piano and if i knew how i could tune my drums aside it.

Back