Our first drum kit

Joc

My son and I are learning to play the drums. We live in Cape Town so the choice is limited and expensive. I've seen a brand called Mapex and the QR Series seems OK to start off with. I'd appreciate the forums thoughts on this and comprable makes such as Ludwig, Pearl and Gretsch. I've been offered a second Gretsch Catalina series. Any thoughts on the quality and what to look out for on a second hand drum set?

Second hand drums...look for, bad bearing edges, the cut of the drum where the heads sit. Bad edges will make for hard tuning. Warped or bent rims. this too will cause the head to not seat properly and make for hard or impossible tuning. Frozen tension screws or lugs. Those little screws that hold the rim to the drum shell stuck or frozen will have to be replaced in order to change heads. Snare throw off works properly. Both the lever and the fine adjustment screw. Floor tom legs are present and working to adjust height of tom. If it has a wrap, vinyl finish, that it isn't peeling or cracked. There may be more but this is a good start.

Do you have anyone you know who is a drummer? If so, take them to look at the drums, it'll help a lot.

Buying used is the best way to go, without a doubt. It just helps to have an experienced eye there.

Back