Videos you can't put down

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I bought Neil Peart's Taking Center Stage a couple years ago. I watched it a couple times, then put it away for a couple years. Lately I've been re-discovering my DVD collection and put this Neil Peart DVD back in rotation. Since then, I've watched it like four or five times in the past couple weeks.

I'm not getting tires of it either. It's like putting in a live DVD and sometimes I just have it as background noise. But I'm really getting absorbed in what he is saying about drumming and his approach to live playing. Like last night, I found myself trying some of the things he is talking about, such as soloing over a transition in the music, rather than just a quick drum fill. It felt really good and I think the band leader even took notice.

Anyway, the whole point to this thread is that I am wondering if you all have a drumming DVD like this that you just watch over and over and over?

Hudson Music's The Art of Playing with Brushes.

I watch it all of the time and have attempted to swoosh along with it. Very challenging as the cats in the video are absolute masters with their own styles.

Hudson Music's The Art of Playing with Brushes.

I watch it all of the time and have attempted to swoosh along with it. Very challenging as the cats in the video are absolute masters with their own styles.
Oh cool! Thanks, I've been searching for a DVD just like that to learn brushes.

I haven't had a DVD player hooked up in ages. I do have a fair number of live fugazi and other punk type stuff that I'll return to over the years; but I do so online.

Does this count?

The full-length concert video shows Chris was no slouch. The bonus is the commentary by the Young brothers. They were so casual and nonplussed. It was just another gig.

Last edited:
I've probably watched this drum video more than other, the sound isn't ideal but the playing just makes me smile (thanks to Todd for finding this):
http://www.cruiseshipdrummer.com/2014/12/soul-drumming-history-with-yogi-horton.html

Cool. No surprise to me that he's using a 6.5×14 Acro for that low, fat sound he's going for. In the right room, my 6.5 Acro does deep and fat better than any of my other drums.

The sound quality isn't ideal, as you stated, but I kinda dig the rough around the edges aspect of his drum sound. A more interesting sound to me than that perfect, round studio sound. I've been listening to the drum sounds on a lot of 80's records lately, when producers and mixers really started getting aggressive with compression and putting the drums really up front in the mix, and it strikes me that they got those sounds by starting out with a rougher sort of sound on the kit and recording them in a more live, reflective room with some hard surfaces going on, and the mix and studio magic did the rest.

Peter Gabriel's Secret World dvd, just to watch Manu Katche play. That guy has a great voice on the drumset.

Peter Gabriel's Secret World dvd, just to watch Manu Katche play. That guy has a great voice on the drumset.
I may have to look into this one. Manu is downright amazing to watch play.

I've decided to get the Jojo Mayer DVD "Secret Weapons for the Modern Drummer". I hope it's a good one.

I may have to look into this one. Manu is downright amazing to watch play.

I've decided to get the Jojo Mayer DVD "Secret Weapons for the Modern Drummer". I hope it's a good one.

It is, lots of good info, and very advanced hand technique.

There's so many good ones that I haven't seen yet, as well as a lot of bad ones too, but for now, I'm still digging the Steve Jordan "The groove is here" DVD. Mostly because he talks about things I can apply to most situations. Technique videos are cool, and I'm all about learning, but sometimes the stuff is just too advanced for me to use.

Good to know. I saw this the other day at Amoeba in Hollywood. Thought about it, decided it might be boring and put it back. Maybe it's still there! I love Manu, but as you've probably noticed, 90% of music videos/concerts/whatnot NEVER show enough of the drummers. Or worse, they don't show them WHEN THEY'RE PLAYING THE BEST PART. You know, you're waiting for that awesome drum fill, see if/how he does it...and the camera's on the freaking guitar player at that moment. Anyway, I'll pick it up if I see it.

Back