Ludwig 3-ply kits--white resocoat vs. clear maple interiors

Oh and one more piece of info on resocoat.Its not some magical acoustic sealer,but just Benjamine Moore Regal semi-gloss finish #N333...aka Aqua glo white.Interior paint.

Steve B

Ok, here are the pictures. The last four have the 16X18 Floor Tom in them.

Attachments

• photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    381.3 KB · Views: 990
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    354.4 KB · Views: 926
  • photo3.JPG
    photo3.JPG
    250.4 KB · Views: 1,007
  • photo4.JPG
    photo4.JPG
    305.1 KB · Views: 989
  • photo5.JPG
    photo5.JPG
    251 KB · Views: 927
  • photo6.JPG
    photo6.JPG
    294.5 KB · Views: 934
  • photo7.JPG
    photo7.JPG
    262.3 KB · Views: 856
  • photo8.JPG
    photo8.JPG
    283.4 KB · Views: 945
  • photo9.JPG
    photo9.JPG
    307.7 KB · Views: 894
That's how you know the wrap's original because of that scarf joint.

Only in the kits made this way. They were made this way up to 1969. The drums made after this used the other technique that didn't put the wrap on until after the shells were made into a circle. So those will not have the wrap extending into the scarf joint.

That is one sweet kit! I love BDP! Congrats.

Thanks!!! I know someone is going to notice that the one bass drum hoop is actually a maple one and not original. The kit came that way so I am in the market for a new original 24" hoop. The seller told me that was the only unoriginal thing on the kit but that was not true. Three of the drums had the internal hardware replaced with black washers and bolts. The tom mount on the bass drum is missing the bolt also. Several of the bass drum tension rods are broken and/or bent. I am going to have to rehab it a lot. I also plan to rewrap it in Tophat & Cane wrap. I am going to remove the granitone from the 18X20 Floor Tom as well. I have a lot of work to do.

Only in the kits made this way. They were made this way up to 1969. The drums made after this used the other technique that didn't put the wrap on until after the shells were made into a circle. So those will not have the wrap extending into the scarf joint.

Very cool info, didn't know that it was only until 1969. Thanks

Very cool info, didn't know that it was only until 1969. Thanks

Go here:

http://www.ludwig-drums.com/features/hoamld/woodshellguide.php

Here it informs us that: "The white diagonal line in this photo is the pearl covering. Up until 1969 the covering was applied to the shell while the wood was still flat, and the covering was "lapped" into the shell. This made for a less perfect round shell, but prevented problems with the finish pulling off."

Thanks!!! I know someone is going to notice that the one bass drum hoop is actually a maple one and not original. The kit came that way so I am in the market for a new original 24" hoop. The seller told me that was the only unoriginal thing on the kit but that was not true. Three of the drums had the internal hardware replaced with black washers and bolts. The tom mount on the bass drum is missing the bolt also. Several of the bass drum tension rods are broken and/or bent. I am going to have to rehab it a lot. I also plan to rewrap it in Tophat & Cane wrap. I am going to remove the granitone from the 18X20 Floor Tom as well. I have a lot of work to do.

Well, the only noticeable thing is the hoop. Everything else is pretty darn minor. Not using a clear head on the huge floor tom will fix that. But yes, I see your vision of showing off those clear maple interiors. Also, thanks for the link about the wrap.

Love the black panther floor toms.I have some orphans that I'm going to wrap in that finish over the winter..I hope.Pics when you're done.

Steve B

Love the black panther floor toms.I have some orphans that I'm going to wrap in that finish over the winter..I hope.Pics when you're done.

Steve B

I am not a fan of the black panther wrap myself. I can't stand granitone either but how often do you come across a 18X20 Floor Tom. I had to grab it. It could be years until another one comes around. They are super rare. It should take a while to get Jack Lawton to do the rewrap but I will put up pics as soon as the job is done.

Back