Grease???

805Drummer

Gold Member
Last night, I moved my drum set from one area of my room to another. When I was done, I noticed a bunch of grease stains in the carpet, kind of a blackish-bluish color.

MY PARENTS NOTICED!

They said that tomorrow I have to put a painter's tarp under my drum set, which I would REALLY not like to do. Terrible aesthetics. So what could be the cause of all this grease?

Is it tuning the drums?

The cymbal stands?

The pedals?

Or what?!!

Thoroughly look over your kit and find the culprit! My guess would be the pedal or the tension rods on your bass drum. During the inspection you might find a defect or a bigger problem and it's always a good idea to periodically look over your gear. Let us know what you find.

I think alot of people, put lubricant and such on the tension rods when they reskin their drums, have you ever put lubricant/grease on yours? because if you have, my only thoughts are that it could be from the bass drum lugs/rods, also check the bottom of your stands and such, give everything a nice wipe down. take a photo of how you usually have you're kit setup, and the piece of carpet with the stains, and i might be able to tell you which drum or piece of hardware it is likely to be. if you're bass pedal/s are chain drivin, there is a chance that it is them, but there shouldnt be an amount of grease on anything, that would cause it to drip or run.

Main culprits would be pedals. Bass (and slave, if you have one) and hi-hat. And if you bottom out your stands, perhaps the center of a snare/cymbal/tom stand. Take a trip to home depot and get a "drum carpet". Thicker than a painters tarp. Better "aesthetics". I bought 2 for my drum room. They each measure 8'x6'. Instant carpet.

I just took a closer look at the indents my drums made in the carpet, and it seems like a lot of the grease is where the pedals were. But still, there's a HUGE amount of it directly to the right of the main pedal (with the beaters). It's a chain-driven crappy PDP pedal, so I don't know if that caused it, or what. There's also a lot of grease where my ride's cymbal stand was, if that has anything to do with it. Most of it is there, actually. But where could it be coming from?

I know the first culprit is my bass pedal, but if I could find the others, I might just be able to put something underneath those instead of my whole drum kit.

I think alot of people, put lubricant and such on the tension rods when they reskin their drums, have you ever put lubricant/grease on yours? because if you have, my only thoughts are that it could be from the bass drum lugs/rods, also check the bottom of your stands and such, give everything a nice wipe down. take a photo of how you usually have you're kit setup, and the piece of carpet with the stains, and i might be able to tell you which drum or piece of hardware it is likely to be. if you're bass pedal/s are chain drivin, there is a chance that it is them, but there shouldnt be an amount of grease on anything, that would cause it to drip or run.

Oh, and I've never put grease or lubricant on my drums. Maybe I should, but I never have.

So, I guess I'll just put an area rug where the grease is, and put something under my pedals. Problem pretty much solved.

Lol stick some cloth/rags a little bit up the bottom of the shaft of you're cymbal stand bases, that might stop any oil leaking out, but if you do this, be sure not to put to much in(dont fill the whole thing with cloth), put just an amount up there that you think will stop any oil leaking. hopefully this helps :)

Lol stick some cloth/rags a little bit up the bottom of the shaft of you're cymbal stand bases, that might stop any oil leaking out, but if you do this, be sure not to put to much in(dont fill the whole thing with cloth), put just an amount up there that you think will stop any oil leaking. hopefully this helps :)

Thanks, I'll try stuffing them with paper towels or duct tape...and I already put paper towels under my pedals.

If you've never lubricated anything, the stains could really be tiny bits of metal that wear away from moving parts. It looks just like grease, and it could be mixed in with grease.

That may be, but either way...it's not coming out. Since I moved my drum set, I keep telling my parents that you won't notice it when my next drum set goes on top of it=D

Back