DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 05-17-2019, 01:36 AM

Default Roland Drum to iPad?

Hi Folks-- I have an old roland v-drum set that has the mesh heads and has the TD-10 'brain' (I think I bought the set about 19 years ago).

I assume that the 1/4" jack that connects to the drum is essentially just getting input from the trigger (which I a subject I know nothing about, but looking to explore....).

What I would like to do is read the signal directly from the drum, and collect data into an app (I can build that part... or partner w/ a friend to do so) to read that signal and 'visualize' how the drum is being played... e.g., to look at possibly 'scoring' velocity consistency, sub-division, etc...

Perhaps there is already an app that does this, but I just need the hardware to connect drum-to-iPad?

Perhaps this is what the iRig 2 (https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irig2/) would enable... though, I'd be interested in building my own.. just to learn a bit about the electronics that makes this possible.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-18-2019, 05:46 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Roland Drum to iPad?

I think I saw video of someone do this with the GarageBand app on an iPhone, so maybe look that up on YouTube. Thatíll pretty much do everything you want as far as visulization of note timing and velocity and stuff. But you wonít be able to use sounds from the TD-10, itíll have to be drum sounds from the GarageBand app

Thatís a cool idea though, Roland should make an app for it