Security against theft/Documentation

We use an inland marine policy:

https://www.statefarm.com/small-business-solutions/insurance/inland-marine-mobile-property

It covers "Commercially used photo equipment and musical instruments."

Take pictures of all of your stuff. Whenever you file, give the insurance company the RETAIL PRICE not the street price. If you are insuring drums, get the retail price of each individual drum, not for whole set. For my USA Pork Pies, I submitted their price sheet that's published on their website with my drums' specific sizes.

The insurance is pretty darn cheap. Everything I take on the road with me, in addition to a couple of guitars, I have insured.

It covers "Commercially used photo equipment and musical instruments."

This reminds me of another open issue, regarding whether or not the gear is taken out and used for gigs. So many confusing conversations.

I've answered "no" to all of that, since I'm not gigging anymore. But if I take the drums out of the house, to a rehearsal room for a few hours, then back, am I voiding my insurance coverage [if I have it]?

Has this been an issue for anyone who does have insurance? Is there different coverage for gigging gear? Premium increase?

Back