Show us your Four Piece Kits.

There are all nice kits but four-piece kits seem to have the least variation in setup. With a few exceptions, every one I've seen has one-up, one-down, the rack tom to the left of the bass drum, ride cymbal in the large gap between floor and rack. About the only variation I've seen is people moving the rack tom to the right, so it's close to the floor tom.

I would like to see a double-bass four-piece (one tom), none-up two-down, two-up none-down, and other variations. I've seen a few double-bass five-piece kits and they have a badass look to them.

...that is what I like about them.

With the exception of the lefty, any one of us could hop on any kit here and be comfortable on it. I have seen some incredible innovative set ups on this site five piece and larger. Most of them being a reflection of the drummers individual taste and style, a signiture if you will.

The four piece has always had that generic look to me, with the drummers playing being the signiture. Besides, I never tire of looking at photos of Wavelength's Khumus or Zambizi's Unix. I just wanted a handy album to keep them in one spot as I am tooo lazy to go and hunt for them.

Barry

There are all nice kits but four-piece kits seem to have the least variation in setup. With a few exceptions, every one I've seen has one-up, one-down, the rack tom to the left of the bass drum, ride cymbal in the large gap between floor and rack. About the only variation I've seen is people moving the rack tom to the right, so it's close to the floor tom.

I would like to see a double-bass four-piece (one tom), none-up two-down, two-up none-down, and other variations. I've seen a few double-bass five-piece kits and they have a badass look to them.

Maybe it's just because it's the most well-known and familiar setups when it comes to a drum kit...from a historical aspect. No matter what I do I can't seem to be comfortable unless I'm running a 4pc...there's just something magical about it.

2 kicks, 1 tom up, 1 down...sounds like Louis Bellson.

I think this thread was for showing the drums and not how unique you can be setting up a four piece.

Well then, in that case:

sk4p2.jpg

sk4p1.jpg

18 by 18 bass, 10 by 10 rack, 12 by 12 floor, 13 by 4 snare, A Custom 17 crash, 20 ping ride and 13 hats, DW hardware, Duallist pedal, shells made of solid ironwood.

My Rogers project, Big R XP-8 shells, 22, 12, 16. And my "dark side".

Attachments

• 139-3968_IMG.JPG
    139-3968_IMG.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 12,957
  • 139-3969_IMG.JPG
    139-3969_IMG.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 12,941
  • 139-3912_IMG.JPG
    139-3912_IMG.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 12,806
  • 139-3914_IMG.JPG
    139-3914_IMG.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 12,854
Maybe it's just because it's the most well-known and familiar setups when it comes to a drum kit...from a historical aspect. No matter what I do I can't seem to be comfortable unless I'm running a 4pc...there's just something magical about it.

I agree! 4-piece kits are magical.

I just can't go back to a three-tom, 5-piece kit anymore. whenever I try, I just can't shake the feeling that I have one tom too many, and end up only using the high rack tom and the floor tom.

I don't know... there's something about a 4-piece that just feels right to me. and for some reason, having more cymbals than drums also feels right to me... besides the standard hi-hats, crash, and ride, I also use a splash and a chinese. (my kit is like Tom Sawyer's kit, but with the splash on the hi-hat side instead of by the ride)

P.S. I'll post pics of my kit in this thread when I get my new cymbals after the holidays.

2 kicks, 1 tom up, 1 down...sounds like Louis Bellson.

as much as i hate fall out boy, their drummer has a double bass kit, with 1 up and 2 down...

which, what i dont get, why the heck does FOB's drummer need double bass..but, whatever..

you can see it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGJkVFe3BwQ

Alex

as much as i hate fall out boy, their drummer has a double bass kit, with 1 up and 2 down...

which, what i dont get, why the heck does FOB's drummer need double bass..but, whatever..

you can see it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGJkVFe3BwQ

Alex

Andy Hurley, drummer of FOB, plays double bass on the song "Thriller" (original. not that Michael Jackson song). Andy says he used to play metal so I guess he's used to having that second bass drum.

(my kit is like Tom Sawyer's kit, but with the splash on the hi-hat side instead of by the ride)
It's a mini-hihat (two splashes). When I run a splash alone it's on the hihat side too.

...here is another shot of my jazz kit.

I don't know whay I call it a jazz kit. If you take what I know about jazz and put it in a bird, the bird would fly backwards.

18x16, 14x14, 12x8, 14x6" maple snare. Not sure of the cymbals but I think they are 20" manhattan, 16" aa thin, 14" Manhattan hats, and a 16" stagg china.

My franken kit.

In this picture it consists of a 20x16" DW bass drum, 14x14, and 10x8" Sonor toms, (force something or other), and a 13x5.5" Craviotto snare. Not sure what cymbals.

Keep the pictures coming.

Barry

Wow Barry, the Frankenkit looks very classy, I bet it sounds amazing. That DW bassdrum looks really nice with the fyberskin head. Very tasteful setup, with flatbase stands and all!

Andy Hurley, drummer of FOB, plays double bass on the song "Thriller" (original. not that Michael Jackson song). Andy says he used to play metal so I guess he's used to having that second bass drum.

The bass player pete (who everyone seems to love even though he's completely useless on the actual bass) used to be the vocalist in a hardcore screamo band as well.
I can't help but get the feeling that they wouldn't be writing their current type of songs if it was just about what they wanted to play if you know what i mean.

My kit doesn't qualify for this thread. Sorry.

Wow Barry, the Frankenkit looks very classy, I bet it sounds amazing. That DW bassdrum looks really nice with the fyberskin head. Very tasteful setup, with flatbase stands and all!

...I think I have lost my ear for smaller toms.

I like my toms to sound big, warm and boomy as a chili and beer fart. This 10" sounds to "poonk, poonk, poonk" for my liking. I don't know what I am going to do with this kit. I may substitute the hardware, snare and cymbals for some cheaper stuff and fire sale it. Either that or donate it to my sons junior high school.

Barry

Well then, in that case:

sk4p2.jpg

sk4p1.jpg

18 by 18 bass, 10 by 10 rack, 12 by 12 floor, 13 by 4 snare, A Custom 17 crash, 20 ping ride and 13 hats, DW hardware, Duallist pedal, shells made of solid ironwood.

...I love this kit.

My only question is, did you have to skin Elton John,or Cher to get the covering for your throne and stick bag ?

barry

Back