$900 axis pedal

From what I was reading from a Derek Roddy promo they changed the pedal, beater angle? to 21 degrees for faster response. Hence the name. Not sure other than that.

That doesn't make sense? Isn't that what they achieved with the sonic hammer? for a bent beater you pay 400 more? There's got to be more to it than a 21 degree angle.

There's got to be more to it than a 21 degree angle.

I've been trying to figure this out too. The Axis website doesn't seem to mention anything about it being a true new design other that the 21 degree thing and it only makes sense that they would advertise any other changes to create a buzz. On looks alone, the only difference I can see is a slightly different looking footboard. Not sure what all the hype is about at this point. I didn't even know the price until I saw this thread, but if it's that much more expensive there better be more to it! Mind you, I haven't played it, so I guess there is a small possibility that the feel is somehow drastically different or better. I'm skeptical though.

The previous generation of Axis pedals were amazing in every respect and definitely ahead of their time, so maybe there isn't much to improve on. One thing I'm grateful for as an owner of the A Longboards is that the new Laser hasn't made me want to upgrade the way I thought it might. With a $900 price tag, that's good news indeed!

$900!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's a good chuck of change for a pedal! $900 can go a long way in the drums/percussion/cymbal world! But if it helps to take you to the next level, then that's okay with me.

GJS

Even for the $750+ price tag of the AL-2, you can walk out of GC for less than $400. Anyone who pays those kind of dollars for pedals just isn't trying.

No way people are going to pay $900 for a pedal of any design. Bitch better play itself for that kind of quid....

Bitch better play itself for that kind of quid....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA - ROTFLMFAO
Quite possibly the best one-liner EVER on the DW forum!!!
Good game, sticksnstones, well done.

Even for the $750+ price tag of the AL-2, you can walk out of GC for less than $400.

Do you mean that GC will negotiate $750 down to less that $400 for the AL-2's?.....Or am I reading you wrong? I know big chain stores will bargain with you, but I've never heard of a store accepting half of their asking price. I got Buffalo Drum Outlet to price-match Cascio Interstate Music at I think $429 for the AL-2CB's about a-year-and-a-half ago (which was hands down the best price I could find) and then ship them to me in Canada for a fair rate.

Someone put a down payment for a new set of AL-2CB's. When they came in, his interest fell into an entire drum set. Apparently, he applied his deposit to the kit instead and GC was left with the pedals.

I strolled in, inquired and subsequently laughed at the GC employee that originally told me $790 was the unnegotiable price....

I walked to the front of the store, asked the manager what he could do cause even he knew they'd never get that kind of money for them. He clicked through the internet for a couple minutes and said "How does $390 sound?"

I said "Sold".

Long story fairly short....yeah...maybe the first-string employees wont haggle very far...but the managers wll haggle THAT far. And quickly too...he set me a price I couldn't refuse right off the bat!

Even for the $750+ price tag of the AL-2, you can walk out of GC for less than $400. Anyone who pays those kind of dollars for pedals just isn't trying.

Yep and i have a few bridges across the country i'll sell them too.

With my experience with double pedals, youd be much better served buying a cheaper DW 9000 series. Its fantastic hardware, and provides almost perfect beater control.

Haha, we've paid only €750 for our car, in no freaking way am I ever going to pay so much money for pedals :-S. I bought my Double Elims for €135 used, but in good condition.

I strolled in, inquired and subsequently laughed at the GC employee that originally told me $790 was the unnegotiable price....

I walked to the front of the store, asked the manager what he could do cause even he knew they'd never get that kind of money for them. He clicked through the internet for a couple minutes and said "How does $390 sound?"

I said "Sold".

Long story fairly short....yeah...maybe the first-string employees wont haggle very far...but the managers wll haggle THAT far. And quickly too...he set me a price I couldn't refuse right off the bat!

Sweet! Good for you man.
I wonder what site he went to that made him arrive at that price.

With my experience with double pedals, youd be much better served buying a cheaper DW 9000 series. Its fantastic hardware, and provides almost perfect beater control.

I'd say it all bounces down to that solemn fact that a drummer's experience level with any given pedal(s) is key.

Outside of a non-funtional design or a plain ole' broken pedal, there is no magic set of bearings, beaters, or springs that you can throw into a pedal that will "solve" anyone's playing issues. $900 for pedal is ludicrous. The only reason I ever considered an AL-2 was because of the extraordinary discount. Before them, I was playing a $200 set of Sonor's...which happen to be the same ones (at least the same design that you see Thomas Lang flying on). Even with the highest bad-assery of the Axis pedal under my feet, it took a loooong time for me to re-adjust to them. It's a leap of faith that the transition to a different pedal in the "unfamilliar" category is going to reap a benefit to your playing.

So...the truth is that you're absolutely right. Most any common drummer, full-time, part-time, pro, beginner, whatever could buy a "mid-level" pedal and blaze like the rest. Die hard PRACTICE is where that solution truly lies. Look at the speed King users of the world...hahaha (just a poke...)

$900 for pedal is ludicrous. The only reason I ever considered an AL-2 was because of the extraordinary discount. Before them, I was playing a $200 set of Sonor's...which happen to be the same ones (at least the same design that you see Thomas Lang flying on).

lol. Funny you mention Sonor. The Sonor giant step double that Lang uses is $1000 !!!! I have a single Giant Step that I got a bit discounted so it wasn't so bad, but Sonor pedals are the most ridiculously overpriced out there imo. Yours were probably a lower model or you got an insane deal.

I totally agree with your assesment regarding practice though.

I recently went from DW9000s to the Sonor GDP3s and couldnt be happier. I did however, buy the Sonors lightly used for about 1/2 the asking price. The fit/finish and playability is wonderful, much lighter and quicker....makes the DWs seem archaic.

F

lol. Funny you mention Sonor. The Sonor giant step double that Lang uses is $1000 !!!! I have a single Giant Step that I got a bit discounted so it wasn't so bad, but Sonor pedals are the most ridiculously overpriced out there imo. Yours were probably a lower model or you got an insane deal.

I totally agree with your assesment regarding practice though.

Yeah, I didn't really consider that. Oddly enough, most people don't rave about the Sonors. I defintely did not have a Giant Step...just some simple single chain nothing-special Sonor pedals. After a long time under my feet, I was very happy with them.

Yeah, I didn't really consider that. Oddly enough, most people don't rave about the Sonors. I defintely did not have a Giant Step...just some simple single chain nothing-special Sonor pedals. After a long time under my feet, I was very happy with them.

Sometimes I wonder how much Sonor's pedal reputation has to do with price? They're definitely not bad pedals and the docking station is not without merit if you don't use lots of different bass drums (I don't, so I love it). If the double came in at a $400-$500 price range they would be more widely used and probably get better reviews. The high price point puts expectations through the roof imo.

And back to the OP. Does anyone have any more info on what exactly is new about the Axis pedals other than the 21 degree thing and footboards? Oh, and it has a cool new Dr.Evil "Laser" name now.

Sometimes I wonder how much Sonor's pedal reputation has to do with price? They're definitely not bad pedals and the docking station is not without merit if you don't use lots of different bass drums (I don't, so I love it). If the double came in at a $400-$500 price range they would be more widely used and probably get better reviews. The high price point puts expectations through the roof imo.

And back to the OP. Does anyone have any more info on what exactly is new about the Axis pedals other than the 21 degree thing and footboards? Oh, and it has a cool new Dr.Evil "Laser" name now.

I'm sure that's exactly why they get a bad rep. For that much, you can get a top of the line laser, or Trick Pro1v bigfoot, Pearl Demon drive or axis al-2. To me, the sonor looks like on the same level as an iron cobra/ flying dragon/ eliminator.

BTW, the new "laser" is the official pedal of the "ALAN PARSON'S PROJECT"
MUHAHAHA MuHAhaha MUhaha muHa muha

Back