INTRODUCTIONS: Please Use This Thread To Introduce Yourself!

Real Name? Maxim...wait!? what!?... people don't use their real names on the internet?
Age? 33
How long have you been playing? 4 years

Origin of user name? from the Latin - Propositio Maxima
Top 5 drummers? Jojo Mayer, Benny Greb, Marco Minnemann, Abe Cunningham, Danny Carey.

Make of Drum Kit? Tama Superstar Hyperdrive
Make of Cymbal? Mixture of Sabian, Stagg, Istanbul, Kahzan

Where do you Practice? Garage
Are you in a band? No

Favorite takeout food? Japanese
What Country do you live in? Australia
One really odd fact about myself? when i'm home alone i narrate everything i do...."he said after thinking for 1/2 an hour to think of something odd, little did he realise that this in itself was oddly enough"
How did I get into drumming? My wife bought me a kit for my birthday

Didn't want to start a separate thread saying I'm new here, so, I'm trying this instead. I guess I've been a "lurker" but now that I'm playing a lot more drum set and playing live sometimes, I think this place will be very handy. I've already found so much great information!

Real Name?: Classicdrumchica, duh!!!
How long have you been playing? Since 2001 or so..

Origin of user name? Classic = classic rock, drum = well, obviously I play the drums and chica = not a dude
Top 5 drummers? How do I possibly choose??? But I happen to really like John Bonham, Max Roach, Buddy Rich (yeah yeah, I know, REAL original), Ginger Baker and Tom Float (drum corps)

Drum kit - Off-brand unknown maple
Make of Cymbal - Sabian

Where do you Practice? Wherever I possibly can...
Are you in a band? Play with a few groups of people but no "band" at this point

What styles of music: Classic rock is one, but I also like jazz, blues, funk, motown, some alternative...
Covers or originals? I'd like to play mostly originals, but at the moment it's pretty much covers

Favorite takeout food? Thai and pizza
What Country do you live in? USA
One really odd fact about myself? I don't get headaches, pretty handy when being a drummer
How did I get into drumming? Always used to "drum" on walls and windows, pots and pans, etc. when I was little and was generally fascinated by it. So it was just a matter of time...thankfully my family supported my decision!

Real Name? stevie the drummer
Age? 49
How long have you been playing? 35+ years

Origin of user name?
my first name is steve and i am a drummer
Top 5 drummers?jeff porcaro, steve jordan, dave weckl, neil peart, tom brechtlein

Make of Drum Kit?
yamaha tour custom, yamaha rock tour
Make of Cymbal? Sabian -- all the way baby !

Where do you Practice? music studio in my house
Are you in a band? yes

Favorite takeout food? mexican

One really odd fact about myself?
i pick at my feet way too much !

How did I get into drumming? like most drummer my age....RINGO !!!!!!!

Hello everyone! New player here. I'm looking forward to gaining knowledge and insight from some of you more experienced folks.

Real Name? Robert
Age? 32
How long have you been playing? Just starting, but I have been a guitar player for 16-17 years. I've played in several bands and owned a couple drum kits over the years, but this will be the first time I have made a legitimate attempt at playing.

Origin of user name? I was a Firefighter in the USAF.

Top 5 drummers? Tough question, but I'd say Dave Grohl and Stevie Wonder are two that really make me pick up some sticks. I am a fan of simple (a term I use respectfully) beats like from The Black Keys.

Make of Drum Kit? DW Performance Series 5 piece. Actually took a rack tom away for now because I'm trying to focus on basics and snare work.
Make of Cymbal? Sabian HHX 14 hats, HHX 18 crash, HHX 16 crash and 21 hand hammered ride.

Where do you Practice? Music room at home.
Are you in a band? Sometimes... Not presently, but I play guitar, bass and keys(poorly) whenever and with whomever I get a chance.

Favorite takeout food? Sushi

One really odd fact about myself? I'm pretty boring...

How did I get into drumming? Somebody left a drum kit at my house when I was 15 or 16. It inspired me to seek out a band to play with. Found one fairly quickly but they were lackig a guitar player so I shifted focus. I have spent some time behind kits though and am not completely clueless. I would rate my self somewhere between beginner and intermediate, but completely lacking in natural talent and coordination.

Last edited:
my name is Nicholas Russell
I am currently 23 but will be 24 in a week or so if anyone wants to send me gifts!
I have been playing drums for close to 15 years
My top 5 drummers are....Derek Grant, Atom Willard, Chris Guglielmo, Jay Weinberg, and Travis Barker
I am currently drumsetless but will be picking up my new SJC kit next month
24x18 12x8 and 16x15 with a distressed black finish brass hardware yadiyadiyada
I currently use sabian cymbals
14"aaxcellerator 17 and 18 Aaxplosion 21" raw bell dry ride and 17" holy china
All DW hardware including 5000 series single pedal and sound percussion saddle style throne
I also love long walks on the beach, having my back rubbed and chinese food
I live in good ole 'Murica!
So im new to the forum, but very excited to be here..as I dont have too man drummer friends...and my non drummer girlfriend is a little weirded out now that she knows what bearing edges are, all different style lugs, how to tune a drum and different metal contents of different cymbals :O ..needless to say I need someone to talk to

Last edited:
My name is Kelvin Harrison better known as Kk I have been playing for 30 years when I came to the united states I was raised in the Bronx NY where my older brother was spending records in Cedar Park in the Bronx where we lived in River Park Towers. I went to a school called C.E.S C.I.S 229 when I saw this guys name Mark B playing drums with a band name heart breaker and I ask this guy name dj spice I want to play and he ask me can I? So I lied and told him yes but I never got on drums before but when I got on it was like magic the croud went wild so everyone that laugh at me because of my thick glasses they be came my fans so I went and told my uncle he said good I need u to play with me at Madison Square Garden to play reggae it was just one drop so I start a band call the infinite with lead singer Resheed Paterson and I played dj for hip hop artist Black Rob . But I made music class my life so I got called to audition with the NY Lancer drum corp to play snare. My brother took me to a studio and I had record with different rap groups so I start rapping and record a song called its all over on big groove records until I was told your life is drums so I return to the drums my heart never lost a beat I been recording with ppl like Chris Gardner that has the song belong feat Sarah Dash from Patti Labelle & the La belles that was my first time I have record the hold CD on drums but anyway my father side is famous NY uncle is Welbert Harrison that made Kansas City my cousin is John P Kee, Kieth Sweat I'm just looking to better my career

Hey guys, I'm Mike.

I recently sold my first kit (pre-international 1960s Premier) to make space in the house. Then I heard Mapex just discontinued the Meridian lines, so I bought a few more to complete my collection, and lost the space I just gained. Ha! I've got a set of K Custom Dark cymbals and a set of vintage Zildjian/Sabians, including a 24" medium ride. I'll post all that gear up in another thread when I can get it all set up properly.

I've been playing set since 1996 and percussion since 1995. I still can't read music. I've played for schools (jazz, concert), churches, original bands (punk, ska, rock, hardcore, metal) and cover bands. Now I'm just happy to play for 5 minutes a month by myself.

Hello Everyone,
My name is Joe Nocella. I've been playing drums ever since I was about 4-5 years old. I'm now in my early 50's. My big influence as a kid was the Beatles. Seeing them on Ed Sullivan as a young kid was exciting. As I got older, I got into Led Zeppelin, Buddy Rich, Joe Morello, Count Basie. I love big bands that swing hard. I love great rock, funk, R&B, latin, etc.. anything that has great rhythm. I spent years playing with various bands and doing gigs at parties. Now I teach and play in a Led Zep cover band in some local clubs around the NY area. I have a youtube channel with some drum covers. Just search on my name. I just bought a Ludwig Classic Maple kit that I'm real happy with.. I hope to play right up until the end just like Buddy did.

Hi everyone, I ran across this forum when looking for some reviews on bass pedals. After lurking around for a few days it seems there's a pretty cool community here; lots of good people and good info. I guess I'll get started on a quick intorduction. My main instrument is guitar been playing that for about 20 years. I toook up drumming a few years ago. I can keep a beat but I still wouldn't consider myself a full fledged drummer.

Real name?
Eric

Age?

How long have you been playing?
A few years now

Origin of user name?
Megadeth is one of my favorite bands and I pulled my username from a line in one of their songs. I also like the mad hatter from Alice in Wonderland (not the johnny depp version tho)

Your top 5 drummers?
Nick Menza, Gar Samualson, Neil Peart, Dave Lombardo, Terry Bozzio

Make of drumkit?
Ludwig Accent Series w/ Aquarian heads

Make of cymbal?
Mostly Paiste & a few Masterworks

Where do you practice?
In the house (drum mutes keep the neighbors happy)

Are you in a band?
Not at the moment

Do you play covers or originals?
A bit of both

What style of music?
I play mostly Metal

Favourite take out food?
Chinese

What country do you live in?
United States

One really odd fact about yourself?
Am I really just limited to just one, there's alot of odd facts about me

How did you start drumming?
I've been playing music since I was a teen and have always been amazed at what drummers could do. I decided to give it a try for myself.

Hey everyone,

Name is John. I'm a 53 yo drummer. Been playing since I was 13. Spent my early years in bands doing original material back in NYC. Stopped playing for about 15 years and just picked it up again about 5 years ago. Not currently in any band. Time used to be the problem there but as I get older, and the kids are off in school, I find I might have the time it takes. Just don't know if I still have the chops. Right now I play on an Acoustic/Electric conversion kit that I made myself out of an old Tama set. I used a Yamaha DTX head. I built my own triggers using piezo pick-ups and mesh heads on the drums. Did the same with plastic practice cymbals. Seems to work pretty well. I've downloaded a lot of songs minus drum track and I play along. Made a couple of videos of this to see if I sound ok. Since I am probably my harshest critic I thought I would post them on here and see what other drummers think. Not sure if this is the right place but I'll put one up here for now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNaWvlXcjWs

Any feedback would be appreciated

Real name? Mark
Age? 42
How long have you been playing? 31 years
Origin of user name? A tribute to D. Boon and the Minutemen and their attitude that it shouldn't take a lot of cash to make good music
Your top 5 drummers? Ringo Starr, Jaki Liebezeit, Steve Smith, Steve Gadd, Andy Newmark
Make of drumkit? SonoRogerSlingerland
Make of cymbal? Sabian
Where do you practice? In my basement
Are you in a band? No
Do you play covers or originals? Sure
What style of music? I've done almost everything but mostly alt-country
Favourite take out food? Pork lo mein
What country do you live in? USA
One really odd fact about yourself? I can tell the difference between butter and I Can't Believe It's Not Butter
How did you start drumming? My dad had two really good friends who were drummers

How long have you been playing? On and off for 30 years
Origin of user name? Our band name
Your top 5 drummers? Bill Bruford, Mark Brzezicki, Alan White, Manu Katche, Phil Collins
Make of drumkit? Yamaha, Roland
Make of cymbal? Sabian
Where do you practice? Anywhere
Are you in a band? Yes
Do you play covers or originals? Originals, one of which has just been produced by Marco Migliari at Peter Gabriel's Real World Studios.
What style of music? Prog Rock, Rock, Classical, Electronic
Favourite take out food? Pizza
What country do you live in? UK
One really odd fact about yourself? Can't remember anything
How did you start drumming? Watching an Eurythmics concert on TV, the drummer I think was Olle Romo

Real name? Tate
Age? 28
How long have you been playing? On and off since I was 3...so on and off for about 25 years.
Origin of user name? I play drums for Jesus
Your top 5 drummers? In no particular order: Buddy Rich, Benny Greb, Tony Royster Jr., Kevin Camp, and Aaron Spears
Make of drumkit? PDP FS Series in Tobacco Burst
Make of cymbal? 14 inch Zildjian Avedis New Beat Hihats, 21 inch Zildjian Avedis Sweet Ride, 16 inch Zildjian Avedis Fast Crash, 18 inch Zildjian Avedis Fast Crash
Where do you practice? At home
Are you in a band? No
Do you play covers or originals? N/A
What style of music? N/A
Favourite take out food? I'm not really a 'take out food' kind of guy
One really odd fact about yourself? If I think of one I wouldn't say, haha.
How did you start drumming? I was just fascinated by it at a young age. I was 3, so I don't really remember how it came about.

Last edited:
Real name? Damian, but everyone calls me Dee
Age? 33
How long have you been playing? 2.5 weeks lol. I've played piano/keyboard on and off since I was 6 and guitar on and off since my teens, but wish I had discovered drums sooner. Absolutely love playing (even doing rudiment exercises is fun!) and my drumming teacher says I'm a natural.
Origin of user name? The Greek variant name of one of the seven princes of Hell. Associated with the sin of lust, just thought it was cool.
Your top 5 drummers? Not too familiar with many yet, but the obvious ones that stick out to me are John Bonham, Neil Peart, Buddy Rich... Also have to mention the previous and current drummers of my favourite band: Mike Portnoy and Mike Mangini.
Make of drumkit? Alesis DM6 Electronic Kit (just to start on), I get to play several nice acoustic kits at the drum studio where I take lessons.
Make of cymbal? N/A
Where do you practice? At home and on an acoustic kit at my lessons
Are you in a band? No
Do you play covers or originals? I write music but just for fun, learning several rock songs on drums so I guess a bit of both for now.
What style of music? Rock and metal mostly, but also into funk, blues, country, reggae, hip hop, classical, a bit of everything really except jazz.
Favourite take out food? Pizza or Curry, can't decide...
What country do you live in? UK
One really odd fact about yourself? I live in a hippy stoner town but don't smoke weed :p
How did you start drumming? Thought I'd give it a try since I wanted to understand the role of drums better, totally fallen in love with the drums already :D

Real name? Dave
Age? 44
How long have you been playing? 34 years
Origin of user name? Drummer
Your top 5 drummers? John Bonham, Gavin Harrison, Sean Kinney, Steve Gorman, and Tommy Lee was an earlier influence.
Make of drumkit? Pearl right now
Make of cymbal?Zildjian
Where do you practice? Right now living in an apartment so I only get to practice when I am playing with a band or on the couch
Are you in a band? Yes-two. Possibly three
Do you play covers or originals? Both. In two cover bands. One is a Zeppelin tribute band that I just joined. I am happy I get to do my best Bonzo impression. We have a gig March 1st. Nervous. The 3rd band I may or may not be a part of is an R & B, soul band-originals. But I really want to be in an original blues based, country tinged rock band.
What style of music? Usually rock but I am up to anything like soul, blues, country, R & B, polkas, etc. I suck at Jazz, though. Something I want to change.
Favourite take out food? General Cho's chicken
One really odd fact about yourself? I nearly drowned three times when I was a kid but I love being near, in and on the water.
How did you start drumming? In grade school band I was playing the clarinet and got braces. The orthodontic said he didn't want anything in my mouth so I started to play drums. I initially resisted the idea. Now I am stuck with them.

Last edited:

How long have you been playing: About 14 years

Origin of user name: Nickname, have been called Bob since before I can remember.

Your top 5 drummers: Hmmm... Like the following all in different ways: Buddy Rich, Stewart Copeland, Travis Barker, Bill Ward, Chad smith

Make of drumkit: Ludwig Vistalite in blue, baby! Unfortunately it's not in collector's condition - very scratchged/beaten up. Previous owner's fault, not mine!

Make of cymbal: Zildjian K and A

Where do you practice: In a shed in my back yard.

Are you in a band: Nope but have been in many. None known outside my province ever.

Do you play covers or originals: These days, just covers (on my own)

What style of music: most genres of rock.

Favourite take out food: Indian

What country do you live in: South Africa

One really odd fact about yourself: I'm a bookworm.

How did you start drumming: High school buddies started a band in grade 9, they needed a drummer, I'd always wanted to play...

Hi guys,

I'm pretty sure no introduction is needed, more of an explanation really. I'll be posting anything to do with the technical aspects of drums under this username. Also, anything that's specifically Guru Drums related (videos, news, etc). This way, there's a clear division between company & private participation. Any questions about our drums should also be directed to this username.

Nothing thinly veiled about this. We are Guru Drums, & Damn proud of it too :)

Hi guys,

I'm pretty sure no introduction is needed, more of an explanation really. I'll be posting anything to do with the technical aspects of drums under this username. Also, anything that's specifically Guru Drums related (videos, news, etc). This way, there's a clear division between company & private participation. Any questions about our drums should also be directed to this username.

Nothing thinly veiled about this. We are Guru Drums, & Damn proud of it too :)

Andy or Dean or both ?

So no more Andy info thread? :(

Back