Warmest Snare Drum head

Been a long time Aquarian user and I still like them for most things, but every single snare head I've tried has too much attack for the sound I'm looking for at the moment. I am open to any brand. Using a coated ambassador right now and it's ALMOST the sound that I want. Any more suggestions?

If my "warm" you mean "dull", (which I'm assuming because the opposite has too much attack) then go for something that softens the attack, like a calf skin head, Coated Emperor, Fibreskyn, or Coated Pinstripe. Or, you can tune the head in the low range to get less snap and more tone.

Have you tried the Modern Vintage heads from Aquarian?

Or maybe even something like the Force Ten, Triple Threat, or Performance II.

The main page of their website has an audio sample of several of their heads. That might help you zero in on a head that you like.

http://www.aquariandrumheads.com/

Yep, was using the Modern Vintage right before the Ambassador. I use it for my live, loudish jazz applications when I really want some attack and it has the best coating in my opinion for brushes. I found the ambassador to be warmer. I have tried double plies as well but I want to stick to single.

The Modern Vintage need to get played in a bit and they warm up considerably from the sound of a new head.

If you like the Ambassador, then you will like the Texture coated since you are an Aquarian fan.

Fiberskyn might suit you but you need to be prepared for the eventual bubbling issue they are known for. I have used them off and on for the last 10 or so years but sometimes I revert back to the coated G1. Some people feel that they sound too plastic for their tastes.

I really dry out the sound of my Gretsch wooden snares when I use the Fiberskyn with Canopus vintage unplated wires.

What kind of snare?

The Modern Vintage need to get played in a bit and they warm up considerably from the sound of a new head.

If you like the Ambassador, then you will like the Texture coated since you are an Aquarian fan.

I use a Modern Vintage on one of my snares and it works very well after being on the drum a few days and after some playing.

I'm also interested in hearing the new Modern Vintage II and Deep Vintage II heads, new from Aquarian. I tapped around on an out of the box MV II today and it was pretty cool if you like the warmer sound.

http://www.aquariandrumheads.com/products/vintage-series

I had the MV on it for about 6 months. It did warm up a little, but not as much as I like. I've tried the Texture Coated, and the Dejohnette as well. I've heard about the bubbling on the fiberskyn as well. I also know that Remo produces a Skyntone. Does this have the same bubbling effect after a while?

I had the MV on it for about 6 months. It did warm up a little, but not as much as I like. I've tried the Texture Coated, and the Dejohnette as well. I've heard about the bubbling on the fiberskyn as well. I also know that Remo produces a Skyntone. Does this have the same bubbling effect after a while?

I've also tried the MV heads and actually gave them a shot for almost a year, just not the head for me. I've also tried the T.C.'s.

Not sure about Skyntone's and bubbling. The only Remo head I purposely purchase is the Fiberskyn for the snare, which as I say, isn't too often since about 80% of the time I use a coated G1.

Do you have a metal or wood snare?

I don't think the Skyntone will bubble, because I don't think it's a laminated head like the Fiberskyn. The one I have just seems to be a single (textured) ply.

Been a long time Aquarian user and I still like them for most things, but every single snare head I've tried has too much attack for the sound I'm looking for at the moment. I am open to any brand. Using a coated ambassador right now and it's ALMOST the sound that I want. Any more suggestions?

Have you tried a coated Emperor yet? That gets my vote. It's like a warmer Ambassador.

I don't think the Skyntone will bubble, because I don't think it's a laminated head like the Fiberskyn. The one I have just seems to be a single (textured) ply.

The skyntone does not bubble. I love the Skyntone even though I definitely think it is the end all be all for heads. Not even for me even though it is a current favorite. The skyntone has very little attack without drying out your drum too much. however it is not incredibly warm and is pretty thin.

I've also tried the MV heads and actually gave them a shot for almost a year, just not the head for me. I've also tried the T.C.'s.

Not sure about Skyntone's and bubbling. The only Remo head I purposely purchase is the Fiberskyn for the snare, which as I say, isn't too often since about 80% of the time I use a coated G1.

Do you have a metal or wood snare?

I have both, but the one that I'm working on right now is a ludwig acrolite. Believe it or not, I think it is warmer than my maple one and it is a hell of a lot drier so I don't have to use any dampening in small rooms.

Aquarian heads are pretty warm. Warm and dark.

Some good suggestions here and I'll second the "Fiberskyn". A really mellow head. Also, Suedes have a nice round bottom end to them without sounding whumpy.

Personally, when I think of warm I think of full bodied and the Remo Vintage A fits that bill pretty nicely. That was the first head that came to mind.

If by warm you mean ringy, it depends on tuning too but I put a g14 on my snare recently and it made the snare quite ringy. Didn't like it, took it off.

I use the Evans HD Genera dry..I bought a snare a couple years ago with one on it and have not bought any other snare head since..it is warm, dry and no muffling needed at all..

Back