Cracked shuffles

BoaZ

Hi everybody.

Another thread about good songs to practice to...

I'm trying to make a list of songs with the cracked shuffle feel, but all I can find is stuff the Meters do, and also a lot of New Orleans stuff.

Do you guys have any examples of songs with the feeling, but not directly from New Orleans?

And by cracked shuffle i mean not even, and not triplets, but somewhere in the middle.

Thank you :)

I need an example to listen to... Never heard that term before.

I know exactly what you mean, I call it a nervous shuffle. Very prominent in the late '50s while rock was transitioning from swing & country.

Bermuda

Is it like a shuffle with a bit of swing, or different sounding?

Yea, that's basically what I was imagining, but it sounded way cooler when Moore does it than even when I do it in my head.

Anyway, kind of applying a swing to a shuffly beat. I'll have to mess around with that. I always play shuffles too stiff, anyway.

Yeah, some of the Elvis stuff had some guys playing straight while the drummer played closer to a shuffle. it's a feel you don't get by just swinging, or playing straight.

Thanks Guys please keep it up.

Jailhouse Rock was perfect. It has the feeling and it is also easy to grasp how its working...

I can add "Call me the Breeze" from John Mayers new Paradise Valley.

Its very subtle on that one, but you can hear it in the hihat accents Sterling does :)

Also check this out; Zigaboo Modeliste from the Meters (one of the "inventors" of this kind of swing)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkQglKYViYA

Last edited:
Back