HELP! I just bought a Remo Clear Ambassador as my snare resonant and..!

bouchnick

It sounds just wrong... I sounds like crap.. :S

What did I do wrong, I was told everywhere that it was an awesome resonant head, I saw videos with drums using that head and sounded awesome but mine just sounds like crap... I had the stock one (which sounded really nice) until now and I just replaced my head with this one, tuned it, everything is fine expect it sounds like crap!

Maybe I did something wrong or is there any type of Remo Amb. Clear heads that are not for resonance?

On the box it says AMBASSADOR, Clear, Batter, 14". I asked the guy at the music store why there was no AMBASSADOR, Clear, Resonant, 14" and he told me that Remo didn't do Resonant heads because the Batter one is made for resonance too. Maybe he didn't know what he was talking about or something..

Anyway I need help with this. By the way sorry for my english, I'm french-canadian! :p

Edit: http://www.remo.com/portal/products/3/8/49/151/specs.html?type=Snare/Tom+-+Batter+and+Resonant here's the link to my head, it's the BA-0314-00.

Last edited:
I haven't bought a Remo head in almost two years, but you got the wrong head.. The head you need for the resonant side of your snare is a 3 mil snare Ambassador head, not a single ply 10 mil clear Ambassador head that you would use for a tom's batter or reso head. You won't get any sensitivity out of your snare with a 10 mil bottom head. That guy shouldn't be working at the music store or at least in the drum section.

BTW, did you tell him it was for a snare drum's resonant head.

Dennis

Get a Remo HAZY Ambassador or Diplomat then you be very happy.

The HAZY Remo heads are the thinnest heads they make hopefully he or she will give you a refund for giving you the false info.

Good Luck,
Bonzolead

So you can use a normal Clear Ambassador as resonant only on toms?
Correct the HAZY heads are super thin they need to be in order to pick up the snare wires I bet your snare sounded like you put a pinstripe underneath LOL

Bonzolead

Get a Remo HAZY Ambassador or Diplomat then you be very happy.

The HAZY Remo heads are the thinnest heads they make hopefully he or she will give you a refund for giving you the false info.

Good Luck,
Bonzolead

Thank you :D

On an additional note, if I want a snare that sounds closer to what John Bonham had (Led Zep (do I really need to specify :p)) or a great rock sound like Tedd from Styx or Keith Moon's. Remo Amb. for reso. and emperor for batter would be the best choice am I right?

Thank you :D

On an additional note, if I want a snare that sounds closer to what John Bonham had (Led Zep (do I really need to specify :p)) or a great rock sound like Tedd from Styx or Keith Moon's. Remo Amb. for reso. and emperor for batter would be the best choice am I right?

if it was me 14" coated amb. batter(#1 snare batter of all time) 14" amb. HAZY res. with 42 strand snare wires and make sure it's. metal that's what Bonham used a Ludwig LM402 Superphonic to be exact.the snare & wires not heads.

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead

42 strand snare wires

Hmmm could you show me some, I have a cheap stock snare from my Pearl Forums Series so no need to put $200 into the best 42 strand snare wires, can I get a good one between 30-80$?

42 strand snare wires

Hmmm could you show me some, I have a cheap stock snare from my Pearl Forums Series so no need to put $200 into the best 42 strand snare wires, can I get a good one between 30-80$?

I've never seen 42 strand wires now $200 if that's the case trade yours in and get a Ludwig Black Magic and be done. or get some Puresound Blasters they go for around $20-$30 US there not 42 strand but still sound very nice.

Bonzolead

Do they even sell that head on it's own? All I've seen are tympani heads and resonant packs.

The BA-0314-00 is a batter head, which is also a resonant head for toms and bass drums. It is a singly ply medium weight head. So yes, your drum guy DID know what he was talking about.

You need a SA-0114-00. That is the part number for a Remo Ambassador Snare Side

You need an Ambassador Snare Side head. I don't they are called Hazy anymore just Ambassador Snare Side. There are Diplomat Snare sides and Emperor Snare sides as well.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Remo-Ambassador-Medium-Snare-Side-Head-100271125-i1136975.gc

The description says it's 10 mil.

You know I've used just a regular clear ambassador for a snare reso and haven't had any problems at all. Maybe it's a tuning related problem?

Do you believe anything GC has to say or text on their website? I sure as hell don't!

I know Remo's product codes inside and out. I'm 110% certain the SA-0114-00 is the Ambassador Snare Side which is a 3mil snare side head.

SD-01XX-00 = Diplomat Snare Side 2mil (XX being the size of the drum)
SA-01XX-00 = Ambassador Snare Side 3mil (XX being the size of the drum)
SE-01XX-00 = Emperor Snare Side 5mil (XX being the size of the drum)

It sounds just wrong... I sounds like crap.. :S

What did I do wrong, I was told everywhere that it was an awesome resonant head, I saw videos with drums using that head and sounded awesome but mine just sounds like crap... I had the stock one (which sounded really nice) until now and I just replaced my head with this one, tuned it, everything is fine expect it sounds like crap!

Maybe I did something wrong or is there any type of Remo Amb. Clear heads that are not for resonance?

On the box it says AMBASSADOR, Clear, Batter, 14". I asked the guy at the music store why there was no AMBASSADOR, Clear, Resonant, 14" and he told me that Remo didn't do Resonant heads because the Batter one is made for resonance too. Maybe he didn't know what he was talking about or something..

Anyway I need help with this. By the way sorry for my english, I'm french-canadian! :p

Edit: http://www.remo.com/portal/products/3/8/49/151/specs.html?type=Snare/Tom+-+Batter+and+Resonant here's the link to my head, it's the BA-0314-00.

We at the drum shop are wondering if you put a tom head on your snare?

We at the drum shop are wondering if you put a tom head on your snare?
I'm currently using a Evans Genera HD Dry coated as my snare batter head. I want to switch to Coated Amb. because it seems like it's the best snare head for rock and music in general.

I'm currently using a Evans Genera HD Dry coated as my snare batter head. I want to switch to Coated Amb. because it seems like it's the best snare head for rock and music in general.

I am wondering about the reso head.

Back