DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:47 AM

Default Drum re-wrap project...Pics of Finished Kit

Just started playing with a new band and do not want to gig or even move my Starclassics so I have been looking for a new kit. Thought about the new Silverstar line from Tama but was discouraged by the 1.6mm hoops. They are really thin, like razors. I found a four piece Superstar on craigslist for $350 including hardware and having played these before, jumped all over it. They've been gigged before though so the wrap's got to go. (plus, bronze mist metallic has to be the worst finish tama ever came out with...looks like an old man's pickup truck)

Progress so far inludes stripping off the wrap and searching high and low for original ideas for re-wrap. I've recently seen some really cool projects using really thin plate steel that has been allowed to weather and corrode. You can get some crazy figuring and designs, big blue and black veins, white streaks etc depending on how it's ditressed. A clear gloss over top seals in the rust etc and I've seen it be strong enough to use as a booth floor at a trade show.

I haven't comitted to it yet, am I crazy to do this to an all birch kit? The photo of the snare is a mock up to see what it would look like against the chrome hardware. I also like the way the inside of the wrap looks though I may try to reproduce that effect.
Attached Images

Last edited by numa_cruiser; 08-19-2011 at 06:02 AM.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:00 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Drum re-wrap project...a little different

I say go for it, I've never seen anything like it before, and it will be a really unique and cool set when you're done with it!
Old 07-28-2011, 06:17 AM

Kind of sucks that they notched the shell down the length only so they could bury the start of the wrap to get a clean lap. My other Superstars are laquer and certainly don't have a notch. If it weren't for that I'd just refinish the wood, it's great looking otherwise.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:37 PM
Silver Member

I like the weathered steel wrap idea.
Another thing you can try w/the steel wrap is to take a torch and melt wax into the surface. I did some shelving for someone years ago like this and the effect is quite nice.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numa_cruiser View Post
Just started playing with a new band and do not want to gig or even move my Starclassics so I have been looking for a new kit. Thought about the new Silverstar line from Tama but was discouraged by the 1.6mm hoops. They are really thin, like razors. I found a four piece Superstar on craigslist for $350 including hardware and having played these before, jumped all over it. They've been gigged before though so the wrap's got to go. (plus, bronze mist metallic has to be the worst finish tama ever came out with...looks like an old man's pickup truck)

Progress so far inludes stripping off the wrap and searching high and low for original ideas for re-wrap. I've recently seen some really cool projects using really thin plate steel that has been allowed to weather and corrode. You can get some crazy figuring and designs, big blue and black veins, white streaks etc depending on how it's ditressed. A clear gloss over top seals in the rust etc and I've seen it be strong enough to use as a booth floor at a trade show.

I haven't comitted to it yet, am I crazy to do this to an all birch kit? The photo of the snare is a mock up to see what it would look like against the chrome hardware. I also like the way the inside of the wrap looks though I may try to reproduce that effect.
I like it a lot, more so the wear on the inner of the metal. We're actually working on something similar with aged copper hoops and lugs for a snare. good luck with the project and keep us updated.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Foot View Post
I like the weathered steel wrap idea.
Another thing you can try w/the steel wrap is to take a torch and melt wax into the surface. I did some shelving for someone years ago like this and the effect is quite nice.
what does this effect look like?
Old 07-28-2011, 09:52 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
what does this effect look like?
The finish color will vary depending on how you rub-in the wax, it's not a consistant color. It's kind of a blackish blueish finish - definite unfinished metal look though. Just heat the metal, melt the wax and rub it in to the look you like.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:00 PM
Silver Member

adding even a thin layer of steel is going to really up the weight of the drums. I have a 70's solid white vistalite wrapped in steel. I personally love them, there tank heavy and rusty too!.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilbagua View Post
adding even a thin layer of steel is going to really up the weight of the drums. I have a 70's solid white vistalite wrapped in steel. I personally love them, there tank heavy and rusty too!.
post some pictures of this beast
Old 07-28-2011, 10:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentCustomDrums View Post
post some pictures of this beast
He's terrible at that. He'll post a pic when he buys a new snare but has yet to post a pic of his whole kit as requested...

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 07-29-2011, 03:56 AM

Quote:
I'll just have to get a roadie to carry them for me then. Pics would be great if you could.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:45 AM

I sanded and stained the insides of the shells today. Can't wait to see how the colour comes out when it's dry. Should look a little like the outside colour of another project I finished last year shown below. I like the look of a darker interior and I've also heard putting a clear coat inside can brighten the sound a bit. Any thoughts on gloss or satin? Would gloss reflect/affect the sound more? Again...is this a bad idea? Pics to follow, any comments/suggestions welcome.
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2011, 04:14 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I sanded and stained the insides of the shells today. Can't wait to see how the colour comes out when it's dry. Should look a little like the outside colour of another project I finished last year shown below. I like the look of a darker interior and I've also heard putting a clear coat inside can brighten the sound a bit. Any thoughts on gloss or satin? Would gloss reflect/affect the sound more? Again...is this a bad idea? Pics to follow, any comments/suggestions welcome.
nice little drum...

re. the gloss or matte finish affecting the sound, inside the drum it might. Gloss is usually a harder finish than a matte finish - something to do with more crystals in the mix to get the gloss, ei, think of gloss and matte floor finishes. Also the thickness of either might have an effect.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:35 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
He's terrible at that. He'll post a pic when he buys a new snare but has yet to post a pic of his whole kit as requested...
WOAH WOAH! there are pics in your gear buried somewhere lol. Ok..fine took these today It's really hard to get a decent angle in my jam spot. Also yes the 12 is set up weird, hard to position 2 toms on a 28.

not to threadjack quick Specs 70's Steel Wrapped vistas 22x14, 13x9,12x9. Custom maple 28x16, 18x18, 14x12. Snares all steel 14x10 70's ludwig, 12x5 gretsch full range, 10x5 sonor SE side man. Steel-vista 16x16 not pictured.
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2011, 05:21 AM

Quote:
WOAH WOAH! there are pics in your gear buried somewhere lol. Ok..fine took these today It's really hard to get a decent angle in my jam spot. Also yes the 12 is set up weird, hard to position 2 toms on a 28.

not to threadjack quick Specs 70's Steel Wrapped vistas 22x14, 13x9,12x9. Custom maple 28x16, 18x18, 14x12. Snares all steel 14x10 70's ludwig, 12x5 gretsch full range, 10x5 sonor SE side man. Steel-vista 16x16 not pictured.
It's not at all threadjacking if you're being harassed to post. Thanks so much for the pics!
Old 07-30-2011, 05:55 AM
Gold Member

Not crazy about the finish, but I love the home decor, the old spot light and the baby trees on the wall.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniongoon View Post
Not crazy about the finish, but I love the home decor, the old spot light and the baby trees on the wall.
Thanks Uniongoon, those are a couple of non-drum related projects I've also put together/made. I hope to change your opinion of the finished product. More progress photos tomorrow.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:29 PM

Some developments: Stained and laquered the insides of the shell with a mixture of cherry and american walnut minwax product and a satin clearcoat polyurethane spray finish. I took the shells to work to use the spray booth to minimize dust content. I've been rethinking the steel wrap. I'm afraid of what it will do to the sound and be irreversable.
So, I'm looking for more ideas for alternatives to buying actual drum wrap as I don't want to spend $350. I'm willing to spend up to $150 though. I like the idea of a sparkle wrap but am open to any other suggestions. Please post your ideas.
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2011, 09:45 PM

formica. used for counter tops awesome for drum wrap on a budget, wide range of color, and available at home depot lowes etc.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:22 AM

Would you be willing to spend $50, and not nick and scratch like sparkle-brite?

This is the easiest and cheapest way to cover drums if you like sparkles....and it is almost bullet proof and easy to clean.

http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...it-for-45-PICS!

http://www.voguefabricsstore.com/Sparkle-Vinyl/

Three yards was enough to do a five piece - and an orphan 14" floor tom to match.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:57 PM
Silver Member

Looks great jkevn! I loooooooooove Sparkles.... they're so shiny...
Old 08-06-2011, 05:01 AM

It's official, no rusty steel wrap. I ordered sparkle vinyl today as jkevn suggested. I spent alot of time thinking about it and actually visited a few other ideas like having a sign shop print out a design on adhesive backed vinyl. I was thinking newspaper or green circuitboard pattern. I also looked at wallpaper, veneer and sparklebrite. None seemed to be thick/durable enough for a gigging kit. I loooove veneers though it was a hard choice. I would hate to ding it up.

I ordered grey sparkle, should be here in 1-2 weeks. http://www.voguefabricsstore.com/Uph...rkle-Grey.html

The hardest part will be cutting perfectly straight strips for the hoops as I've been told it cannot be sanded and I already refinished my hoops. Given that this stuff has some depth to it and a fabric backing I may need to come up with a creative way to hide the edge. I don't like the look of off colour hoops for my kits so the easy road is not an option. I was thinking a thin black pinstripe at the edge to bridge the vinyl-hoop gap or a super tiny continuous bead of black epoxy. I may have to trial and error some ideas. Any help/comments are much appreciated.

Sidenote: Evilbagua, I like how you conveniently covered up your zebra print throne for the photo op.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:04 PM

I'd like to change the colour of my Starcast mount from black to chrome. I like the system but always thought the black stood out too much. Tama has addressed this in their Starclassic and new Silverstar lines but I'm surprised they didn't make the change as well for this years Superstars. I looked into getting the bracket plated and it's just too much $$$. Any thoughts on what product to use to get the best chrome look? I've bought one spray can but it looks mostly like silver paint. I figure if it doesn't work out I can always strip it and repaint black. They were scratched to begin with.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:20 AM

Problem solved. I took apart the bracket and wire wheeled it to a brushed steel look and sealed it with a Tremclad clear gloss finish. Not chrome but better than black.
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2011, 07:42 AM

Picked up the sparkle wrap yesterday and cut all my pieces. Will hopefully get the glueing done tomorrow and maybe hardware assembly. Bought some new heads as well so I can't wait to get them together.

Looking for a good solution for making holes in the vinyl. I've seen some solutions such as a hot glue gun and a .30 cal. bullit but I don't really want hot messy vinyl dripping down the inside of my shells and I'd rather have a nice punched out hole than a stretched out one. Pics to come tomorrow and hole suggestions welcome.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:44 PM

I used a cheap soldering iron. The vinyl didn't drip and run....it just kinda goes up in smoke. Stinky, toxic smoke mind you. Make sure you're ventilated.
it will bead up a little bit around the hole, when it cools just break it off with your finger. I had none melt inside the shell, even on the vent hole. I had large holes for tom arms that I cut with a razor blade. With suspension mounts, you won't have that problem.

You will learn alot when you start that first shell. I didn't sweat the straightness of the edges at the top & bottom. I came back after wrapping and used an old drum head and a razor blade to get a clean edge.

Good luck! Can't wait to see pix
Old 08-16-2011, 02:07 AM

Some quick in-process pics.
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2011, 03:08 AM

So I decided from reading other threads that the overlapping seam was creating some head fit issues and bulging when tightened that I'd just overlap and razor cut the seam under the lugs. Came out nicely. Solving the hole issue I used an Oak backing board and a forstner drill bit of the appropriate size. It cut perfect holes. It surprised me when I started figuring out how many holes I needed to drill and realized it was like 25-45 per drum. That's alot of holes. Got the snare together and tuned up, it's sounding nice so far with a quick tuning. More assembly and photos to follow.
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesilam89 View Post
Came out nicely. Finding the mess periodical I misused an Oak bed display and a forstner take bit of the congruent situation. It cut perfect holes. It stupefied me when I started figuring out how umteen holes I required to take and realized it was like 25-45 per beat. That's alot of holes.
Holy Cow, anyone else have weird posts like this? Spam of some kind? Junior member with 2 posts basically misquotes me word for word.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:57 PM

It happens time to time. The words are not important...they just want you to click the "flowers" link in the post.

Good looking job on the sparkles btw, I'm glad it was a solution that worked for you. You'll find the vinyl is very resistant to dings and scratches, wipe off with a damp rag.....perfect for a working kit.....and, it looks pretty dang cool too.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:18 PM

Default Re: Drum re-wrap project...Tons of finished pics

Thanks Jkevn, I was actually really surprised to hear the length of sustain I'm still getting on the toms.

Last edited by numa_cruiser; 08-19-2011 at 05:52 AM.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:01 AM

Finished mostly, thanks for all the suggestions along the way.
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2011, 08:03 AM

That looks amazing! There's something uniform about the finish that I really like.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:02 PM
Pioneer Member

That looks awesome!!! Great job!!.

Wasn't too crazy about the rusty metal finish you were thinking about. But what you did looks sharp!

so what was the purpose of holding the laminate back with the tape in a few of the pics?
Old 08-19-2011, 04:40 PM

Great job! Glad to see the BD hoops came out good too.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post
That looks awesome!!! Great job!!.

Wasn't too crazy about the rusty metal finish you were thinking about. But what you did looks sharp!

so what was the purpose of holding the laminate back with the tape in a few of the pics?
I glued the whole wrap but left the last couple inches of the shell raw so I could lap over and razor cut the seams. The tape is gently holding back the wrap so as not to crease it while I glue the shell and let it dry.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:27 PM

[quote=jkevn;880462]Great job! Glad to see the BD hoops came out good too.[/QUOTE/]

BD hoops are the "mostly" part of mostly done. I masked off all the wrap and the finished part of the hoops to spray clearcoat on the edge of the wrap to seal the fabric edge and bridge the height difference between the two. There is still an edge I'd like to smooth out though as it steps from the wrap to the hoop. I may try to find a solution for that still. It needs to adhere and be flexible. A friend of mine suggested liquid electrical tape which could be troweled into the notch with the hoops masked again. Not sure how that black pinstripe would look though.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:42 PM

Numa,

The kit looks great. How is the wrap holding up?
Old 02-06-2012, 10:08 PM
Silver Member

Damn - that looks great finished! Got me jealous - I want to do the same with that finish, it's gorgeous!
Old 02-07-2012, 04:45 AM

Hell of a job man!! They look sweet! Well done.