Carlock in, Phillips out

jornthedrummer

Silver Member
Seems Keith Carlock is replacing Simon Phillips in Toto. I don't know the circumstances and if it's a permanent arrangement.
Anyway I think the feel of the band will change somethat and I can't wait to hear it!

Seems Keith Carlock is replacing Simon Phillips in Toto. I don't know the circumstances and if it's a permanent arrangement.
Anyway I think the feel of the band will change somethat and I can't wait to hear it!
What!!!!! Where did you hear this?

If true, I'm not too surprised. Simon's increasingly busy workload is probably part of the reasoning (Hiromi, Protocol II, plus his usual session & producing schedules), additionally, Toto have been cycling through will we call it a day/won't we for some time now. I mean, I attended their "farewell" tour in 2012, but they've been gigging since? Go figure :(

http://www.totoofficial.com/news/199103

It has also been announced that long-time member drummer Simon Phillips will be departing the band to pursue his solo career and other interests. Luke shares, "He is still a dear friend and we wish him the very best and continued success," The band welcomes new addition Keith Carlock (Steely Dan, Sting, James Taylor, John Mayer). Carlock originally hails from Clinton, Mississippi, and has collaborated with Luke in the past in the jam band Toxic Monkey.

So its official.
Simon Phillips has done well with the band, but I am keen to hear them with Carlock taking over. I am guessing the feel will be closer to when Jeff was around.

Carlock with Dan solo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqUq7oFIjRM#t=201

Tasty!

Meh, not surprising. Toto has been more of a "Steve Lukather and friends" project for the last decade (or longer). Granted, Simon's been there the whole time, but every other band member has been in and out one or more times. And as mentioned above, Steve also can't seem to make up his mind about shutting down the band completely.

I'll definitely miss Simon's playing if I catch them live again though; he was probably the main reason I like a lot of their stuff. Keith Carlock is an absolute monster player, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone who's got quite the sound, touch and style of Mr. Phillips, and it really suited Toto's music very well.

Hmm, wonderful as he is, didnt think the Toto set list was quite Carlock's style.

Phillips is very busy this year with many recording and touring projects, I hear.

So its official.
Simon Phillips has done well with the band, but I am keen to hear them with Carlock taking over. I am guessing the feel will be closer to when Jeff was around.
"Closer to Jeff" I think is a valid view. Time will tell. No doubting Keith's skill, taste & groove :)

As for "Phillips out", I strongly suspect it's more like Phillips left, & the text from Luke seems to support that.

I'll definitely miss Simon's playing if I catch them live again though; he was probably the main reason I like a lot of their stuff. Keith Carlock is an absolute monster player, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone who's got quite the sound, touch and style of Mr. Phillips, and it really suited Toto's music very well.
I couldn't agree more. When Simon joined, the band took on a different vibe, a more powerful feel. Not better, just different. Simon certainly made his mark. Let us not forget, Simon also produced the vast majority of Toto's albums since joining. It will be interesting to know if Simon will continue his production role in any new Toto material.

If anyone doubt's Simon's total input into the change of Toto's sound, just listen to the album "Tambu". Grooves like a steam train, with a dynamic & power that is 100% Simon Phillips signature.

The fact that the band just mention his name briefly in a passing text on their website - almost like "oh by the way, we're changing drummer" makes me almost more irritated and sad than the fact that Si is leaving. Show him some damn respect, he was with the band for 22 years and basically saved the band back in 1992 when he joined. Steve Lukather did explain a bit more on his personal FB page but not everyone has access to that. The least they could have done is to write a personal message or something on the matter.

Either way, I'm sure gonna miss Simon's feel and his powerful sound. His drums always sound incredible and his playing just makes you feel SO good. I guess Keith drumming takes it back more to the sound when Jeff Porcaro was playing. Simon's been playing with them forever though and has his mark on the band's sound. I shall miss him.

We can have long discussions about this, but one thing is for sure - the drumtech is happy -)
Erm - no. Big kits mean more work for the tech, & a greater need for a tech.

The fact that the band just mention his name briefly in a passing text on their website - almost like "oh by the way, we're changing drummer" makes me almost more irritated and sad than the fact that Si is leaving. Show him some damn respect, he was with the band for 22 years and basically saved the band back in 1992 when he joined. Steve Lukather did explain a bit more on his personal FB page but not everyone has access to that. The least they could have done is to write a personal message or something on the matter.

Either way, I'm sure gonna miss Simon's feel and his powerful sound. His drums always sound incredible and his playing just makes you feel SO good. I guess Keith drumming takes it back more to the sound when Jeff Porcaro was playing. Simon's been playing with them forever though and has his mark on the band's sound. I shall miss him.
I couldn't agree more Robin. No message in this whatsoever, but Simon has been with the band longer than Jeff was (obviously, not by design), & his contribution to the band extends way beyond his drumming presence. It saddens me to say this, & no reflection on keith, but I anticipate a "fizzling out" of Toto, at least as a progressive & musically ground breaking entity. I hope I'm wrong.

Simon is a monster ,everyone knows that....Shame i guess it ran its course. Saw Keith with SD He is SOOOOO Smooth.. I think it will be fine.Just different.....2 Great players with a different approach.....

I love Keith, but it'll be interesting to hear how he plays Toto's music. He has this sort of funky lightness and jazziness in the way he plays that Jeff didn't have - in the back of my mind, I'm worried about Keith overplaying even though I know I have no reason to believe it. But maybe that's the kick in the pants that Luke needs to get his formerly wild energy back onto the stage.

I think it would be cool to see Toto play with Shannon Forrest, even if it's only for a song or two. He's the closest to Jeff that I've heard since Carlos Vega.

Well... Jeff Porcaro, Simon Phillips and Keith Carlock are all some of my favourites drummers as Toto is one of my favourite band, I must be blessed by the drummer's God...

Hmm, wonderful as he is, didnt think the Toto set list was quite Carlock's style.

Exactly my thought when I read the news on this thread, while I admire Keith's playing in many recordings, Oz Noy & Rudder just to name a couple, his style is not what comes to mind as a Toto drummer but the proof of the pudding is in the eating!

If anyone doubt's Simon's total input into the change of Toto's sound, just listen to the album "Tambu". Grooves like a steam train, with a dynamic & power that is 100% Simon Phillips signature.

Absolutely, Simon has always been himself and never tried to be a "clone" of Jeff, he did the same thing with The Who in 1989's world tour.

For the record, Simon never had an audition for Toto, Steve Lukather wanted him to do the Kingdom of Desire world tour and everyone in Toto knew that Jeff himself liked Simon Phillips, they offered the drumming seat to Simon and went on tour, the rest is history.

In the September 2009 edition of Batteur Magazine Simon was asked "What about Toto as a band", Phillips replied "It's definitely over"...

However, in the July 2011 edition of Batterie Magazine Simon explains "Today things are a little different, Toto still exist on a long term basis, even if we only going to do a concert here and there" and he added this comment about a new album "We won't do a new album, because for us, it's not important anymore to propose new music, we've said everything we had to say", Simon finished the Toto chapter on the interview by saying "Honestly, we have such a long list of hit songs to our disposition that it is not difficult to create a good setlist, all what our fans want is to listen to all those hits that marked their life at a given time, even if the concert was over 3 hours, we wouldn't have time to play all those hits, as artists, to make a new record would be a kind of an ego trip, it would be of no interest for us, honestly"

Now, with new blood behind the kit, would Toto re-consider a new album, I don't know, time will tell, but if they do, it will be good, that's for sure, there's no such thing as a bad Toto album.

Toto died with Jeff Porcaro for me. I haven't heard anything from them since the late-80s. I knew Simon had taken the reigns, but they are such different drummers... Simon was a much bigger influence on me and I worshipped him when I started playing the drums, but I just can't come to grips with Toto featuring any other drummer than Jeff.

They're great musicians, though. I wish them luck with whomever. Keith is a monster.

I saw Carlock with Sting some years back. I was on the 3rd row and checking out the drumset before the band came on on stage. What! No splash cymbal -)

I thought that would be a necessity to play those songs.

Carlock was absolutely fantastic and I have never heard more explosive fills in my life!
The sound of the drums and the entire band was also top notch.

I have also seen SP on a couple of occations inclusive of once with Toto.
Great experience.

Given that SP is leaving, I think Toto have made a great choice. It is very much a musicians band and I think just about any drummer would be willing to join them.

From Simon's personal FB page:

I am deeply touched by this outpouring of expression…
… yes, it is true - after 21 years I have called my time with Toto.
Being a member of this band was a wonderful experience and I have learned so much. I greatly appreciate how Luke, Dave and Mike welcomed me at such a difficult time in the band's career after Jeff's passing. Together we recorded new albums, played concerts and continued the band's legacy.

I want to thank Toto fans around the World for embracing me, for their genuine enthusiasm and their love and support.

Simon Phillips - Jan 24, 2014

According to Toto's site, a studio album is already in the works.

Just out of interest, who would people here have picked to be the replacement for Simon Phillips? Not to disrespect Keith in any way, as I'm sure he'll do a wonderful job, but it's interesting to hear people's thoughts on the subject.

Just out of interest, who would people here have picked to be the replacement for Simon Phillips? Not to disrespect Keith in any way, as I'm sure he'll do a wonderful job, but it's interesting to hear people's thoughts on the subject.

Good question - lets hope we get a lot of replies.

Back