The thing you bought but you never use

I have a few things I haven't used in years.

- Zildjian Earth Plate ... I used to set it up at gigs but never played it the whole show.

- Marimba (3 octave scale) ... I got a great deal on it which is why I bought it ... I've played it maybe 2 or 3 times since I bought it.

What is an Acrolite prototype?

Just that, they built a few hundred (numbers vary depending on who you talk to) of these in the early 60s and everything on them was aluminium apart from the drum heads, the strainer/butt and muffler. (Shells, lugs, hoops)

The shell is very crudely welded at the seam. Orange peel shell. Very lightweight.

They had complaints that the hoops were bending too easily (as aluminium has a tendency to do!) and the lugs were cracking. They went back to the drawing board and the acrolite we all know and love was born and they all lived happily ever after :)

I swapped a custom made snare for it. The guy didn't know what it was. The batter hoop is badly bent but the lugs are in good condition as is the shell. Keep meaning to get some bog standard triple flange hoops for it and a better strainer than the P83. It's the only "rare" snare I own by fluke. I have a 400 and a 402 which are workhorses so I don't use it.

Just that, they built a few hundred (numbers vary depending on who you talk to) of these in the early 60s and everything on them was aluminium apart from the drum heads, the strainer/butt and muffler. (Shells, lugs, hoops)

The shell is very crudely welded at the seam. Orange peel shell. Very lightweight.

They had complaints that the hoops were bending too easily (as aluminium has a tendency to do!) and the lugs were cracking. They went back to the drawing board and the acrolite we all know and love was born and they all lived happily ever after :)

I swapped a custom made snare for it. The guy didn't know what it was. The batter hoop is badly bent but the lugs are in good condition as is the shell. Keep meaning to get some bog standard triple flange hoops for it and a better strainer than the P83. It's the only "rare" snare I own by fluke. I have a 400 and a 402 which are workhorses so I don't use it.

Very cool and interesting. Glad I asked. You learn something new every day. I can see how steel hoops might be better.

Gosh I never thought about all the percussion stuff I've bought and never use, I bought a Fender bass and amp-let my guitar playing brother use it. But percussion stuff there is a cajon, a large djembe with stand, portable congas, bongos, orchestral sleigh bells, Glockenspiel bells, assorted cymbals like a Wuhan china, Zildjian Sweet Ride and a Zildjian K Dark crash, etc. Probably a bunch more lil gadgets that don't come to mind. I keep saying I'm gong to sell some of it, but I've done that before then seems suddenly as soon as you sell it you then need it again.

Anything with a tam on it. Drumset tambourine, check. Hat tambourine, check. That cymbal material ring with the tams that you lay on the snair, check.

The double pedal is retired this year. To be honest I was just using it for train wreck endings anyways.

I'm just keeping/using mine to force myself to learn how to use it. I don't really plan on using it much but when I do I want to be able to do it mostly correctly..

It's easy to not use it much but sucks if you do and don't know what you're doing.

But I hear you!

Yamaha MCAN three up two down shell pack.

Ludwig Classic Maple two up two down shell pack.

Played em a few times but always go back to my DW mismatched beater kit.

I have a shelf full of things that I bought for theater work that I just don't use elsewhere. A jam block, a triangle, a mark tree, and a Yamaha DTX Multi-12 (which I repurposed as an office practice kit with a few outrigger pads).

My Yamaha Stage Custom pretty much sits on the shelf too unless I get called for something like the jazz gig last month where a 13/16/22 would be a bit much.

Most of my drum pads. Sometimes I work with a group of students who don't have their own though, so then they're useful.

Lots of percussion and many of my snares are almost never in use now, but when situation changes that will change, too.

I've got a ton of instruments that I've bought for musicals and never played again. But, I also have plenty of instruments that I bought and never thought I'd use again, and I've used them a few times a year since. You never know, so I keep most of it, just in case. I would have thought that those jam bells would be more handy than they've been, but thank goodness I didn't end up selling the bell tree or waterphone!

Here are thing(s) never used or hardly used. AKA "young and stupid"

10" LP Ice Bell cost about $30.00 tried to use for ride cymbal bell ...way to loud and too many overtones.

Kevlar floor tom head $20.00 probably intended for marching percussion.

Danmar bass drum click pad $6.00 ...should have installed before below beater.

Danmar hard rubber bass drum beater, immediately ripped hole in brand new two ply 24" bass drum head.

Coiled stick holder bass drum hoop mount $3.00. 2B sticks just popped out.

Cowbell/woodblock holder bass drum hoop mount $6.00. Tried to use with LP Mambo cowbell ...Too much cowbell!

Bought a cowbell.... Played on the song "Smooth" by Santana, "Funky Music" by Wild Cherry and "Rude" by Magic. Then never used it again. Its lying somewhere I dunno =(

Two toms sizes 8" & 10" . Played only in my garage and never saw the lime lights since bought (birth)

1) Toca Bordeaux cajon. I already had a cheap cajon that my wife bought for me, but I saw the Toca at a store and really liked it. Took it home and after a while, I found out I liked my other one better. Now, the Toca is mostly used as a bench.

2) A couple of cymbals that I bought with the intention of using them with the cajones. One is a cheap Wuhan 10" splash, the other a not-so-cheap Meinl Generation X 17" china/crash. Both sound pretty good, but I haven't really gotten into cajon playing and those cymbals don't work for the music I play with my band.

3) Roland HPD-10 Handsonic. I love it. I love playing it. Wanted one for years before I decided to get one in late 2016. But I rarely have the chance to set it up, and haven't been able to use it in any kind of gig.

4) Korg Wavedrum. Same as above (even bought it around the same time). I did use it a bit in my last album, but that's also when I started transitioning into more acoustic/band-y stuff.

I also have tons of synth-related stuff that is currently boxed and in the shelves. Some of it I've only played a few times: Elektron Monomachine, Emu MP-7. They're pretty cool pieces of gear but I just don't have time to play with all of it.

I've got several hand percussion items I bought to use one time and have never used them again.

I have blocks LP used to make, similar to JAM blocks but much bigger. I used to use one of them all the time, but haven't play it since the late 90's. The 2nd one I bought when LP announced they would be discontinued and I think I used it on one gig 18 years ago.

I also have a zil bel. I love the thing. But do I use it? No. I never set it up. I used it on one recording 10 years ago. Maybe on a small handful of gigs prior to that. I can't remember the last time I even though about setting it up.

Oh and the 18" floor tom. It was a rare find since my Premier Signia discontinued. So I jumped on it when I found it. Way over paid for it. Never used it live. Maybe it was set up one time for a demo. I've not played in years. It looks pretty sitting on in the corner gatherings dust.

Any splash cymbal. We payed yesterday for a benefit, and I setup the splash where I like. I used it once and really did not need to. Peace and goodwill.

10 years ago, I bought a tambourine for a studio project. Used it. Then I put it back in the original packaging and then put it back in the original box.

I still have it...you know...just in case. ;)

10 years ago, I bought a tambourine for a studio project. Used it. Then I put it back in the original packaging and then put it back in the original box.

I still have it...you know...just in case. ;)

I hear you there. I used to play in an original band and I had granite blocks, cowbells, wind chimes, tambourine, djembe, bongos, congas and a full set of drums on stage with each weekly performance. That went on for three years...can’t imagine hauling all that around now. Anyway, for the most part, the extras have been sold off, but I’m still sitting on a few blocks, bongos and djembe...you know...just in case! They got tons of use earlier, so didn’t exactly fit in the thread, but I guess they do now.

I bought a set LP Aspire congas for a recording session in 2007. Turns out they had congas there. I still have them but never use them as I refuse to hit things with my bare hands. I will play them with sticks though, blasphemous as that sounds.

I bought a set LP Aspire congas for a recording session in 2007. Turns out they had congas there. I still have them but never use them as I refuse to hit things with my bare hands. I will play them with sticks though, blasphemous as that sounds.

I've seen quite a few people play their congas with sticks. That's how I would play them if I bought a set, but I don't currently have space for them.

LP 'Wood' block (it's the red plastic one)...and louder than the entire kit. I rest my phone on it as it sits on a stand with 3/4 other things that currently collect dust.

I just bought one of these...should be delivered by Thursday. I'm learning some afro-cuban beats and thought it would be fun

Back