Turned down a sub gig

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
For a very good reason. Last Saturday morning I got a FB IM from a good friend who I have jammed with several times and thoroughly enjoyed myself. He is in a blues funk band and needed a sub that evening because his normal drummer had an emergency come up and couldn't gig.

I get the IM at about 11 am for the gig that starts at 6 pm that evening and lasts to 9 pm. I feel elated and honored at being asked!

But also sad in knowing that I have babysitting duties for my 5 year old granddaughter and we were planning on going running around to the parks, etc.

Common sense takes over and I am listing the things I need to do if I were to take the gig. Since I know nothing of their catalog, I'd need to get their set lists, at least listen to them, practice a bit since I have barely even held a drum stick in a few months, prepare my own charts/cheat sheets, load up, drive to the gig, unload, set up, go thru the sound checks all before 6 pm, etc.

After a brief conversation with my wife who was at work, I came to the immediate conclusion that no way am I doing this gig!

So to make a long story short, Granddaddy here opted out of the gig and instead had a blast being with my granddaughter. No regrets!

Definitely the right call. Funny how that always ends up happening after talking to the wife, eh?

Gigs come and go. She's only a kid once. You made the right call.

I always try to help a fellow drummer out when I can, but there's a limit to everything. 100% right choice man!

You made the right choice for yourself. I have been put in the same situation a time or two as well when my son was younger ( he is 18 now). I always agonize over turning down sub gigs because I feel like I won't get asked again if I turn it down.

Thank you for your kind words everyone. I don't get to see her often enough and I got to visit with her for a few last night. Driving home I thought how could have I done anything else BUT turn down that gig to spend much needed time with her! Thanks again!

i would have turned it down also, means more to kids, then anyone else

Good for you! It's best to work through this and come to this conclusion before you get too involved or committed at any level.

I've turned down 2 different band opportunities within the last 5 months.

These 2 bands are ALWAYS working... At this point in my life, I'd rather spend time with my wife and daughter than with any band playing at any club or rehearsal room.

Back