Most Embarrassing Arguments You've Made...

RobertM

Platinum Member
What have been the most embarrassing arguments or claims you have made about music? Perhaps a fun, insightful thread.

Mine takes me back to childhood days in the 1970s, when I used to argue with older kids (who were in high school) or some adults that Kiss was a better band than Led Zeppelin. Oh, the misguided mind of the child!

(The Bonham and Page nuts would just stare at me in disbelief.)

As a child, I used to like Gary Glitter, & told all my friends that he was so much better than Elvis. Funny turn of events though, many years later, I gigged with his sax player. Brian Jones. Amazing sax player, who had a special sax playing set of false teeth with the mouthpiece shape crafted into them, weird huh? But not as weird as Gary Glitter turned out to be! Snivelling little %^$^%$

In 1984 I made the rather bold statement that Madonna wouldn't see out her 15 minutes of fame.

I was 12 and I was clearly wrong.....never did I dream I'd be that wrong though.

What have been the most embarrassing arguments or claims you have made about music? Perhaps a fun, insightful thread.

Mine takes me back to childhood days in the 1970s, when I used to argue with older kids (who were in high school) or some adults that Kiss was a better band than Led Zeppelin. Oh, the misguided mind of the child!

(The Bonham and Page nuts would just stare at me in disbelief.)

I did the exact same thing I was 13 and the Zep guys were 18...I was at the time very passionate about this...I had the 1st Kiss t-shirt in my school and when they put out the 1st live album I remember listening to it (all 4 sides) and getting a natural high from it....it was the greatest (music) I ever heard at the time..@ 48 now I am glad my taste has matured at least a little...wow have you heard Disturb's latest!!! : )

I still try to argue that AC/DC is one of the best bands EVAR! xD

Trying to tell kids that

a) Green Day are not thrash metal
b) Green Day are not the best band "eva"
c) Rammstein are not Death Metal
d) Marilyn Manson is not goth and didn't write "Personal Jesus"

Who thinks Green Day are thrash metal?

And AC/DC are one of the best bands ever. No argument needed. Don't bash Phil!

young kids who don't know who Kreator, Slayer, Exodus, etc. are

How do they think they know what thrash metal is, but have never heard any of it? Is thrash metal a label you attach to things to make them better?

"Hey, have you heard anything from Brahms's thrash metal period?" *

*Around 1853.

In Los Angeles, we have a local music rag called Rock City News. In the 90's, they were THE Local music newspaper (given all their competitors had gone out of business after the 80's ended).

One day in the mid-tale 90's, I picked up a copy, and a then, completely unknown System of Down was on page one. My band was on page two.

I commented, why? Who really thinks an Armenian metal band has any chance of getting signed? And if they were to get signed, who thinks they'd actually sell a lot of records? Why are they on page ONE while we're stuck on page TWO???

And well, of course, they got signed, and went on to sell millions upon millions of records, and my band faded off into obscurity.

Oops.

In 1984 I made the rather bold statement that Madonna wouldn't see out her 15 minutes of fame.

I was 12 and I was clearly wrong.....never did I dream I'd be that wrong though.

You could always make the same prediction about Lady Gaga....that seems like a safe bet.

I once heard a drummer (and a band) play pretty loud while his cymbals were rather small so they seemingly died away very fast. However, it made me believe that he hit his cymbals so hard that the vibrations in the cymbals would put themselves out (right...). I told a couple of guys that that was the cause, and they wisely kept their mouth shut and laughed in their fists.

I remember hearing the argument in the 1980's that Billy Squier was the next Led Zeppelin.

He had a really great start, and then after he pranced around in a music video, his career was over.

My band teacher corrected me about the opening lyrics of Jethro Tull's "Aqualung", to which I responded: "What would YOU know about Tull?"

Turns out he was a lifelong Jethro Tull fan. It was a very "Basil Fawlty" moment.

I used to argue that music found on mainstream radio was good....

LOL.....I want to call it, really I do. But it would appear history has a habit of making me look foolish.

As I like to say, "once bitten....twice stupid!!" :)

I'll call it. If believing that the public can see through such talentless, over marketed trash is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Back