For those photographers here too...

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Way off topic....but some of you may know that I also hire myself out as a portrait photographer - my favorite model is always my avatar here - but I do tend to do a bit of work around certain times a year.

And just as I do with my drumsets, I just did it with my cameras last night. I just sold off all of my Canon camera bodies. I had two EOS-1D cameras and a 30D body that I used for fun. I've kept my lenses (I have three nice primes: 20/2.8, 28/1.8, and a 50/1.4) but dumped the zooms (I had a 70-200/2.8 and a 20-35/2.8) declaring that zooms are for sissies ;)

Now I'm shopping for full-frame cameras. It's amazing how fast camera stuff sells compared to drum stuff though ;)

If any one needs a photog, give me a ring!

I was an amateur photographer for long time. Many great pics from my 3 years in Europe I might add. I know you heard my story about my ex. Yeah, she kept all my camera gear stating to the attorney she "needed" it for our daughter. I don't know anyone who needs couple thousand dollars worth of camera equip to take pics of the kiddo. Sadly I had all that equipment 10 years before I met that nightmare.

Side note Bo, I have a honeymoon coming up soon if you could hide behind the curtains ;)
Kidding of course

Way off topic....but some of you may know that I also hire myself out as a portrait photographer - my favorite model is always my avatar here - but I do tend to do a bit of work around certain times a year.

And just as I do with my drumsets, I just did it with my cameras last night. I just sold off all of my Canon camera bodies. I had two EOS-1D cameras and a 30D body that I used for fun. I've kept my lenses (I have three nice primes: 20/2.8, 28/1.8, and a 50/1.4) but dumped the zooms (I had a 70-200/2.8 and a 20-35/2.8) declaring that zooms are for sissies ;)

Now I'm shopping for full-frame cameras. It's amazing how fast camera stuff sells compared to drum stuff though ;)

You dumped the 70-200 2.8????!!!! Best lens in the galaxy.... AND the 1D? Are you getting the 1DX now? the 1.8 50mm is a beaut though... perfect for your work I guess.

I know you hate zooms but any thoughts on the new 200 400 f4 that canon has introduced?

good luck with the gigs on both fronts.

I am in the process of selling my medium format gear. I recently bought the Fuji X-Pro1. In reading the forums, many DSLR users are switching to this camera. I am waiting for the 56mm 1.2 lens that should be coming out 2014 Q1. Most of the photos found in my signature link were taken with this camera and the 35mm and 14mm lens.

Best wishes

GJS

Zooms are for sissies????????????

And crime scene detectives.Most of the time I used a Nikon F-3 with a 50mm,but on occasion,the zoom came in handy.

I had to take crime scene arial photos several times fom a dept.helecopter ,of cemetary vandalism.It was the only way to show the devistation,and the scope of the damage.

Besides ,the helo ride, is just way too cool to pass up.

I also had to document ,damage to the Queensboro bridge(AKA,the 59'th street bridge),that was struck by a tanker's mast at 3 in the morning,suspended over the East River in the Roosevelt Island cablecar/ tram.....in the wind.That will wake you up in the morning,I can tell ya'.

Naturally,the cablecar is over a hundred feet or so from the bridge,so in clearly documenting the damage,the zoom was necessary.

Why not wait till morning you say? Well because the cable car is used by occupants of Roosevelt Island to commute to Manhattan,so taking it out of commission,to photograph the bridge was a no go.

More importantly,the Mayor(Guliani at the time) and NYPD brass,want answers...yesterday.

I still use my 35mm film cameras.I guess because I like the warmth of film.

Nikon F-3 and Canon A-1,still serve me well...along with a zoom.:):)

Steve B

Last edited:
Well, I'm discovering how I work better every year with this photog stuff. And I found that having these huge, heavy zooms just isn't my cup of tea. I came up like tamadrum here, manual analog cameras with prime lenses. So I learned how to zoom with my feet and be as stealthy as possible.

Nothing screams "professional" or "NOT stealthy" more than wearing two four-pound camera bodies with five-pound zooms attached. Or it could scream "Into it amateur" and 'Creepy guy with camera" too. I loved working with the 70-200, but I hated carrying that thing around, along with all that other gear. I think I weighed my pack once and it came in at just under 50 pounds. Not the most fun guy to be around on a vacation.

So, in the camera body department, I'm actually going more stealthy - I picked up a couple of Canon 5D's (the first version) - smaller, lighter, full frame, and only 12mp. I've printed as big as 20x30 with those 4mp files from my 1D, so 12 is probably overkill for me (it is for everyone, but that's a different discussion). A friend of mine has the 1Dx, and regardless of how incredible it is, I'm loathe to have to carry that thing around (let alone two of them). I've already proven I can take a picture, so I don't need to look like it ;)

I guess my camera preferences really reflect my drum preferences as well. I just make the most out of what I have, like we all do with 4-piece drumsets - which is basically all I play. I carry around my own portrait lighting as well, and have discovered that the camera doesn't really matter when you have control of your light. But I figured I'd 'sideways' upgrade before I couldn't. You know, when I bought those EOS-1D cameras, they were roughly $5400 each. On the used market they're not worth more than $250 now. Unlike old analog things, digital items do not hold value - probably because of the planned obsolescence? So I'm moving to slightly smaller, a little more megapixels, and a full-frame sensor because it pisses me off that when I attach a 20mm lens to a camera, I don't get 20mm wide photographs! So this fixes that.

I really wish I could continue with film too, but even where I live, there are no more cheap labs to develop film. Period. When I did shoot film, I could drop it off at a Costco just to get negatives and a proof sheet for $2 to see what I did, those days are gone. Now every roll of film costs $20 (at least) to process. At least I saw that writing on the wall too.

I also had to document ,damage to the Queensboro bridge(AKA,the 59'th street bridge),that was struck by a tanker's mast at 3 in the morning...

Totally off topic, but if it was a Wednesday morning, you, sir, managed to squeeze two Paul Simon songs onto one sentence.

Totally off topic, but if it was a Wednesday morning, you, sir, managed to squeeze two Paul Simon songs onto one sentence.

LOL.....I actually thought about that when my partner and I got to the scene,and I wrote down :arrived at location 0300 hrs.I looked up at the bridge and thought"slow down,you move too fast".

I looked back down at my notes,and just smiled.You just can't make this stuff up.

Great pick up.:)

Steve B

Post some photos of your "work" here for us dudes wanting some strees-relieving eye candy to pass the time... :)

I've always enjoyed it. My father's old family slides from the 1950 and 60s are priceless. I love photography.

Hey Bo,

This may be way off your way off topic, none the less if anyone around here could appreciate it I think it would be you. My brother a life long photographer & more recent ukulele enthusiast has built a "pinholele" (pinhole camera / ukulele). Here is a youtube link where he talks about it and links to actual photos taken with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVp31vn6FyA

Back