Jazz ride playalong faves

Liebe zeit

Silver Member
I've recently started on the jazz thing and have a few tunes on my ipod to play along to a standard spang-a-lang. But it's only 4 or 5 and my jazz collection isn't huge and a lot of the tracks are more complicated ride patterns which I don't want to get into yet.

So, if you have any suggestions for slower to mid-tempo jazz ride tunes please fire away.

It'd be nice to get a full hour of stuff to play along to.

Was just listening to Freddie Freeloader in the car; that's a cert for inclusion. 9 mins long, standard jazz ride at mid tempo, and a great tune

I would think listing to some Sinatra swing would help. Something like his version of "Witchcraft" or "I've Got You Under My Skin". There should be tons of material there.

60's Monk is good for that- Monk's Dream and Criss Cross especially. You might also try:

Miles Davis - Bags' Groove
John Coltrane & Milt Jackson
John Coltrane - Plays the Blues
Miles Davis - Workin', The New Miles Davis Quintet, or Round About Midnight
Don Cherry - Art Deco

definitely So What and Freddie are great tunes to start with

60's Monk is good for that- Monk's Dream and Criss Cross especially. You might also try:

Miles Davis - Bags' Groove
John Coltrane & Milt Jackson
John Coltrane - Plays the Blues
Miles Davis - Workin', The New Miles Davis Quintet, or Round About Midnight
Don Cherry - Art Deco
Thanks for those. Monk's Bolivar Blues is already on the list

I think I mentioned this before but Hank Mobley's "Soul Station" has some great tracks to play along with.
Great idea. I recently got this album, after initially being switched on to Hank from you using Remember in one of your lessons.

Nefertiti. It's ALL ride!

And of course, anything from Elvin where I can use the magic Elvin ride pattern! lol The key is to accent the AH. -e.g. Ding-ding AH ding-ding AH ding

I believe Miles Davis' Kind Of Blue is the best possible starting point. So What and Freddie Freeloader are great tunes to practice playing along to. There may be more instructive drum performances and some would argue they're not the best entry point into jazz, but I think anyone can take something from the way the ride cymbal is played on this record.

I'm gonna put another vote in for Kind Of Blue.

Also, Philly Joe Jones really swung his butt off. Steve Smith says when he was at Berklee he played along to Philly Joe to develop his ride cymbal playing.

Back