I went away and everything changed!

incrementalg

Gold Member
I started playing drums when I was 12 or 13. I started by playing along to simple 80's cheese rock songs and progressed my way into busy rock stuff...Rush, The Who, King Crimson, Primus, Tool to name a few. I spent hours playing, practicing, watching those DCI videos and reading Modern Drummer. I went to clinics, met some world famous drummers and continued playing like mad up until I left for college. I brought my kit with me and crammed it into an apartment shared with a couple of other guys, so I could continue playing.

Soon, I found myself strapped for college funds and rent money, so I sold my set along with just about anything of value. Years have passed since I've owned and spent any time behind an acoustic kit. I'll soon be able to get a new set and take up my favorite hobby again. I couldn't be more excited about that and I'm having a blast researching for my next kit purchase!

Now that I'm actively pursuing drums again, I've realized so many changes. Over the years my taste in music has changed, what music I want to play has changed and what I want in a kit has changed. I've even found that my preference for sticks has changed! The stick thing didn't hit me until just the other night while working on basic hand technique and practice pad stuff. It was almost an epiphany to realize that I no longer like the stick style I loved for so many years!

I'm thinking these things would've naturally changed over time had I continued playing all these years. Realizing these changes all at once has been a real eye opener for me. I can't help but wonder how my playing is going to change?

Great story !

I am excited for you !

Same thing happened to me. However I was gone for so long that it was not a change, but simply a whole new experience for me.
I had to re-learn everything. And the guys and gals on this Drummerworld forum have helped me.

Good luick and welcome back to drumming. I took a 3 decade break. There wasn't even an internet when I stopped playing! Talk about change?!?!

I think it's better now. The internet is full of information, videos, music. It's really helpful.

I think it's better the second time you get into drumming. You know what to get, you have more experience now.

Bienvenidos! Lots has changed. I took about 15 years off (total) before resuming 15 years ago. There's a lot more to choose from e.g. drums and materials, cymbals, heads, sticks, hardware, thrones etc. And the internet is full of information. Keep an open mind and don't be afraid to experiment w/newer products and/or companies.

I am 51, started playing clubs at 17 and I thought taking 1 whole year without a drumstick was such a radical idea. I did that once, my next gig came with no rehearsal not even a kit set up and warm up, one year without touching a stick. And I had one of the best nights ever. That fresh feeling is something else.

Great story !

I am excited for you !

Same thing happened to me. However I was gone for so long that it was not a change, but simply a whole new experience for me.
I had to re-learn everything. And the guys and gals on this Drummerworld forum have helped me.

Hit the mark there Jim, same for me, & oh boy did I need the help! (still do). Now what's this wizardry called practice of which you speak?

If everything didn't at least evolve there would be some odd! Pleased for you getting back into drumming. It made me think that I should be thankful for never stopping because whilst I'm somethimes frustrated at not being as good as I'd like to be, and am at least better than I was!! And you can be too, I'm sure!

Back