Tama Starclassic 100% Bubinga Vs. Tama Sc Bubinga/Birch

sticksndrums6469

Whats up Drummers of all skill levels! I'm in the market for a new kit and i hardly seen any discussions on this topic. I'm leaning more on the B/B mostly because ive heard both sound clips and live from demoing a set at my local music shop. the idea to mix the the woods was brilliant! B/B truly does give one the best of both worlds! Low tones with a bit more umph to it. only hearing sound clips from the 100% Bubinga kit i was still very impressed but putting down a few xtra $$$ when i can have the best of both worlds got me stumped. This is also Tama's Starclassic line so either choice i make the feeling of disappointed will not xist when i open that box, Tama makes some kick a$$ drums imho. so if any1 can enlighten me with their thoughts and exps with either or both kits i would very much appreciate!

Birch & bubinga are not that far away from each other in terms of sonic performance. Bubinga offers low lows, a scooped midrange, & crisp highs. Birch offers good lows, a less scooped midrange, & good highs. I think the birch/bubinga would offer a slightly more balanced sound, whereas the bubinga will major on the bottom end. Birch sheet is cheaper than bubinga sheet, mainly because it's the most popular choice for construction board facings, & therefore produced in huge quantities.

If you've already tried a kit combination & liked it - buy it.

I've owned and played both and liked them both. The one thing I noticed was the 100% bubinga line got actual wood grommets for the vent holes - a very nice touch. But the engineering and construction on both are flawless. I will say the full bubinga have me more 'boing' but not in a comical way. They both sound great. I think Tama makes the 100% bubinga line in Japan and the b/b's are made in China. You can't go wrong with either.

I love the sound of my Tama Starclassic Full Bubinga set of drums. In my opinion there's nothing that really compares. I bought mine about five years ago, so I've had some time to really hear the intricacies of a full bubinga shell. I picked the bubinga drums after months of comparing dozens of drums from different manufacturers. In my opinion, the bubinga wood has very little in term of a sonic relationship to birch shells. Instead of guessing, putting heads on both shells and with proper tuning, comparing their sound is the only way of actually knowing what the differences are.

I don't or never have owned a set of birch/bubinga drums, put I have played them many times in just about every conceivable venue. They are truly worth looking into, especially if funds are a bit more limited. In the last year, I've seen more and more B/B kits entering our studios. This alone says something valid for Tama Starclassic drums.

Whatever you choose, you won't be making a mistake.

DSC_0318-1.jpg

Dennis

I think you should ignore all advice and buy the drums you like the best.

The actual sonic differences are going to be much more apparent to you when you know what they are, than they would be blindfolded. I'm not saying you couldn't hear a difference, just that you'll notice the difference more when you know what you're playing. That's just the nature of perception

In fact, I bet that if Audiotech lays down the same groove on his set, and two B/B sets with similar heads and tuning, most of us won't be able to pick out which is his. He might, but then he knows what he's listening for and has trained ears. Could be a fun test for the rest of us though.

The important thing is to get the set YOU love. You'll play it more if you love it, and you'll play it better because you love it. Your playing will always be a bigger factor than the outside wood of the shells, so follow your heart (and your eyes and ears and possibly wallet)

the difference between 100% Bubinga and the BB is...... about twice the price for 100% Bubinga.

I own the BB and love this set,more then my DW's i had before them... and they were killer!

I love the sound of my Tama Starclassic Full Bubinga set of drums. In my opinion there's nothing that really compares. I bought mine about five years ago, so I've had some time to really hear the intricacies of a full bubinga shell. I picked the bubinga drums after months of comparing dozens of drums from different manufacturers. In my opinion, the bubinga wood has very little in term of a sonic relationship to birch shells. Instead of guessing, putting heads on both shells and with proper tuning, comparing their sound is the only way of actually knowing what the differences are.

I don't or never have owned a set of birch/bubinga drums, put I have played them many times in just about every conceivable venue. They are truly worth looking into, especially if funds are a bit more limited. In the last year, I've seen more and more B/B kits entering our studios. This alone says something valid for Tama Starclassic drums.

Whatever you choose, you won't be making a mistake.

DSC_0318-1.jpg

Those are georgous! Like a well know singer/player here in Toronto, Dave Wilcox sang "My eyes keep in trouble, I want every girl that I see" only replace girl with drums.

Dennis

Those are georgous! Like a well know singer/player here in Toronto, Dave Wilcox sang "My eyes keep in trouble, I want every girl that I see" only replace girl with drums.

Back