Drummer things that I do

drumr_102

I've been noticing lately how often being a drummer weaves itself into my day-to-day life.
So I was wondering what you guys do that makes you a noticeable percussionist off the stage.

I'll start with some of mine (that I've noticed):
-The obvious playing on my lap while listening to headphones
-Playing on my steering wheel (fully equipped with air cymbals)
-Walking in time with my headphones
-Stepping on the upbeats of the person walking up the stairs in front of me
-Texting/typing in time (such as keeping constant eighths or whatever I can keep up with)
-Probably lots more that people stare at me for

play constant 16ths on imaginary double bass while sitting.......ive been yelled at by the teacher in class for doing that, and i didn't really notice i was doing it....lol

when clapping along or dancing to music i stay on beat and i notice when everyone else is off beat and it bothers me

i can speak drummer better ("bap shoogy-da-boop ska-doom bap" type of talking, or fast 32nd notes like donny from the wild thornberrys) than the average person

-Stepping on the upbeats of the person walking up the stairs in front of me

Awww!!! I allways do that, I understand you so much.
Also sometimes I tap triplet notes with my hand on the handrail in between the steps of another person on the stairs.

There's so many I'm scared to mention them all.

A classic is my indicator on the car has a strong audio bleep and I love to tap out polyrhythms to the absolute consternation of my wife.

Davo

I move a lot of boxes throughout the hospital and they all make for great bass drums and toms. I get people dancing on the elevators. I'll use my iPhone and make a little video.Under cover of course

One thing I noticed that's very specific - whenever I drop something that's small and easy to lose (especially in an office/desk environment), my eyes instantly dart down to follow it on the floor as it rolls around. I know this comes from being on a cluttered stage, or even a rehearsal area, and dropping cymbal wingnuts and felts, drum keys, and other drum hardware. It's a useful skill to have.

I air drum at work, my coworkers think I'm retarded, but whatever.

I drum on my steering wheel too.

And I do triplets on my legs when I walk.

Back