drum snobbery

It seems like you just made a judgement that is counter to several of your posts. Did you not complain of persecution and unfair judgements based on similiar grounds?

Is it more reasonable to judge and dismiss happy, and perhaps cheesy, types than the self-percieved serious business of heavy metal?

Having asked that question, let it be known that my all time favorite band is Iron Maiden and the Osmonds are not on my holiday mailing list. Let's just be consistent because it's good for all parties concerned.

\m/

Hey, what canI say I'm a hypocrite! I never said I wasn't a snob though. or did I?
I spout out so much crap I can't keep up with it!

I'm sure everyone is guilty of music snobbery to some degree. It's bad. Although I do love the tunes on my sons baby toys, I tap along to them or even play them on my piano. Drives my girlfriend mental!

If we expand on "children's" a bit, & refer to anything produced to attract the under 14's, then it's the acts that shy away from musicians most of the time (typical Andy anti quantised autotuned bilge rant). At least The Wiggles stuff mostly features a real drummer :)

I was thinking about more extreme genres of children's music, stuff meant for 5 and under - Sesamecore, Tank Engine Thrash, Strawberry Shortcake Sludge. None of that poser stuff for older kids which does have a lot of electronics. I am getting back to the essence, acoustic children's music.

I was thinking about more extreme genres of children's music, stuff meant for 5 and under - Sesamecore, Tank Engine Thrash, Strawberry Shortcake Sludge. None of that poser stuff for older kids which does have a lot of electronics. I am getting back to the essence, acoustic children's music.

Lol, Sesamecore!

I want Sesamecore! Big bird can probably be quite menacing if you crack one it's eggs.

If 'core' is a more brutalised version of something then why hasn't any of the 'heaviness' competative bands come up with corecore?!

Absolutely-corecore-dizzle-tothemax-core! Grrrrr! *beats chest*

+10 internets to you, fine fellow.

I have a confession to make, after stating I was not a musical snob, I find that it was a lie.

I can find no merit, or entertainment value, in Rap music. Or is that a reverse snob?

The only thing I could possibly add to what has already been said is remember that they are not signing your cheques ; for playing or teaching.
I don't listen to metal all that much however I do watch the video's and I would say it is one of the most demanding styles to play and to be in shape for.
I hate snobbery and elitism, especially in music. It is just plain lame and speaks more to one's faults than anything else (or maybe deeply quelled jealousy)

Big Swing Face. Lets just start there. I mean wow, wow, wow. Put aside a whole generation of 70's high school bands lifted that Norwegian Wood arrangement (I know we did).... Monitor theme... wow. Can anybody listen to Love for Sale and not want to just jump up and down? Even the crowd at the Chez club was speechless. New Blues... with the muted trumpets and woodwinds at the start, moving into blast mode for the 'chorus' and main themes... only to put back in the mutes to take this tune in for a quiet landing. Just unreal. ALL LIVE!!!! It is far and away my favorite live recording ever. EVER. The nuance, the swing, the balls out brashness of Buddy just driving the band like a rental, and all of those guys delivering large. Its remarkable. Something we'll never see again. A jewel. A few mics, a great room, a big band at their absolute peak, Buddy grunting and shouting as he played, the guys responding... the energy. I'm racing now just thinking about it. Gawd I wish I was there those 4 nights.

TOP in Oakland. Soul Vaccination, Funkifize, Bump City... all of that. The horn work, how David is working with the horns and the melodies.... its just so excellent. The sweet pads, the patterns in lock step. Doc! Rocco that animal! The staccato hair on fire tongue and breath work at the end of Finkfize. Woof!

I got the two CD's... burned into them. I mean night and day. He and I went to dinner at CES, and we talked for hours about them. We went out to his Porche and drove the strip from MGM to Stratosphere and back - top down, blasting.

Its one of the best nights of my life.

There is much to be learned and enjoyed from styles that are not your own.

Seeing Neil play Love for Sale on the Letterman Drum Solo Week made me smile ear to ear.

I got the deal.

My buddy, this drummer died a few years ago. The gift of these two records, especially Big Swing Face will live with me forever.

-K

I'm reading an old thread, and because of your post, I looked up Big Swing Face on YouTube on my phone (I'm not home, it's the best I can do), and had to use my friend's iPad to rush back in here to thank you. I'm listening to it as I post this.

Tower of Power, I've loved since they came out big in the seventies. My older sister had their records, so I got that groove from her. Love TOP.

Anyway ... thank you for your infectious enthusiasm!

Back on topic ... I've been in a metal band for three years. I started playing drums (after taking off almost four decades to play guitar, that's another story) and right away was recruited into my friend's startup metal band. I was not a metalhead and had no idea what I was getting myself into! Walked into my second drum lesson with Slayer's "World Painted Blood" on my iPod, eyes wide open, "Can you teach me how to play this?" and I've been struggling to keep up, with my 50-plus-year-old body in near-constant pain (mostly from an earlier motorcycle accident, partly from trying to play these insane fills!) and having the most fun of my life ever since! \m/

When I tell people I play drums in a metal band, the reactions range from, "Wow, cool!" to "That's awesome!" Maybe that's because I'm female, and a little older now (shut up! OK! A lot older.) The whole "female drummer" thing. So I haven't experienced any snobbery directed toward me, but it does exist, for sure.

And personally, I like the studs and leather and all that. It's fun. Theatrical. But I can't wear that stuff when I play -- it'd get in the way and probably be too hot.

I have gone dizzy trying to keep track of the blatent bagging, subtle bagging and downright single mindedness in this thread. I gave up after several pages.

A/ Whats wrong with "simple" music...however you determine it to be..... if it gives the performers a buzz that they can create a "song" and people who listen to it a "buzz" as they like that song so be it !! Music is not the province of the intellectual, or of any one decade or style...it should above all, be fun to play and fun to listen too.

B/ I have friends who think the music of a particular decade, style etc is the ONLY real music. Funny that decade changes for every generation and how they hear all of the current crap and none of the crap that was played in their era.

C/ I think there are various studies that link people with pivotal points in their life..... say Hendrix / Doors during Vietnam, Vera Lynn in WW2. People are drawn to music that represent a pivotal point in their life.

HENCE THREADS LIKE THIS GET HEATED...as having a go at types of music is having a ping at a treasured or traumatic point in their life that the music is associated with

D Being able to pick out or play "difficult" music is a gift, thats nice...doesnt save anyones life or cure poverty so big deal !! Further to the point everyone has a talent in life, music may be yours...I knewsomeone who was illiterate, couldnt speak the dominant language etc...but was revered as the best cleaner and in particular toilet cleaner in a shopping centre in Darwin. To the point she was appointed a "national living treasure"

As for music being the province of the suites I have heard that refrain from the Monkeys to Madonna

If you want alternative listen to JJJ in Australia or the equivalent ( colledge radio ?) elsewhere.

Thats where Midnight Oil got there start.

Gotye a pseudonyme for "Wally Bacher" a bands drummer decided to do his own stuff ...he wrote, played, sang and did the video artwork for his own songs. It took him awhile but he got mainstream airplay in the US...another former graduate of "JJJ" and clever usage of the internet.

On the other hand a lot of revered people werent revered till they carked it !!

Life is short...take the stick out your arse...enjoy your life and let others enjoy theirs

Back