For Rush Fans-Exclusuve Interveiw on Canadian National News

Oh, yeah. Channel 9 since I was a kid! I grew up watching CBC as much as the big three US networks. The Friendly Giant and Mr. Dressup were two of my favorite shows. And of course, Hockey Night in Canada every Saturday night, to this day! I also enjoyed Da Vinci's Inquest and anything involving Rick Mercer or George Stroumboulopoulos.

I'm dissatisfied with my cable TV provider but I wouldn't switch to satellite because I couldn't get CBC. That's non-negotiable for me.

That is too cool, George does have a good show. It's nice to know that the cultural spillover goes both ways.

Oh, yeah. Channel 9 since I was a kid! I grew up watching CBC as much as the big three US networks. The Friendly Giant and Mr. Dressup were two of my favorite shows. And of course, Hockey Night in Canada every Saturday night, to this day! I also enjoyed Da Vinci's Inquest and anything involving Rick Mercer or George Stroumboulopoulos.

I'm dissatisfied with my cable TV provider but I wouldn't switch to satellite because I couldn't get CBC. That's non-negotiable for me.

Interesting. You are a rare Detroiter. I grew up in Windsor and had no idea people across the river ever watched Channel 9 CBC. I watched almost all US channels. Been on 8 mile road many times.

Yes I would have to agree; one of their earliest albums, if not their first was not a trio (Fly by Night) and was very popular up here. It had what I would call a unique sort of Canadian quality to it and I enjoyed it as well. Other bands still going at 40 years plus such as The Strawbs (huge fan) and Yes amongst others have that ability to make sure they are really good live and stay fresh, that would be the writing and we would be remiss not to mention that Neil is the main lyricist for the band. Good for them and all of their fans.

I think Yes have been a pretty revolving door for members though (different keys and drums and even vocals in many incarnations since 1969), unlike Rush, same 3 since 1973.

Interesting. You are a rare Detroiter. I grew up in Windsor and had no idea people across the river ever watched Channel 9 CBC. I watched almost all US channels. Been on 8 mile road many times.

Maybe not so rare. I never miss the playoffs on CBC. The National, Fifth Estate, Strombo, all great shows. Detroit loves it some HNIC and Don Cherry! I was jacked that this year we finally got CBC in HD on my cable provider. The only reason I would watch the pathetic coverage on NBC was because we had that in HD.

Btw, local hockey coverage of the Wings is good. It's the national NBC feed that stinks. Mickey Redmond is a great color man. I'd love to see him and Cherry have a good hockey sit down.

Maybe not so rare. I never miss the playoffs on CBC. The National, Fifth Estate, Strombo, all great shows. Detroit loves it some HNIC and Don Cherry! I was jacked that this year we finally got CBC in HD on my cable provider. The only reason I would watch the pathetic coverage on NBC was because we had that in HD.

Btw, local hockey coverage of the Wings is good. It's the national NBC feed that stinks. Mickey Redmond is a great color man. I'd love to see him and Cherry have a good hockey sit down.

Mickey Redmond! Haven't heard that name in years.

Absolutely. Pretty much all my friends are hockey nuts and CBC is the station of choice. It's one reason why they have such a difficult time measuring the viewing audience for playoff games in Detroit, because so many people follow on CBC and they can't/don't include that in their ratings.

I'm in the same boat without CBC in HD, but I still switch over for Coach's Corner and that amazing playoff montage they do at the end of the last Stanley Cup game before signing off.

But yeah, Ken Daniels and Mickey Redmond are top-notch. You can find old clips of CBC coverage with those guys, including at least one with Grapes where Ken Daniels is in Ron MacLean's role on Coach's Corner.

Back