Drum shoes

Long bow for mine.

It ain't the shoe, it's the foot of the guy wearing the shoe.

Agreed.....I used to search for that "special" shoe that made me feel I would be quicker, more in control, etc. I even had this old pair of top siders I use to wear thinking I had found "them". I kind of did the same thing looking for the magic pedal......I finally came to the sad conclusion that it was my foot that was what needed to be special and magically. Now, I play in everything from flip flops to dress shoes, depending on the occasion, time of year and/or gig. None of these seems to effect my playing positively or negatively; it's the foot!!

DayDrummer,
did you experience (I did) that with footwear you have more punch/volume and less strain on the ankles (noticeable difference when playing/practicing for hours)? This can be a plus for some drummers. I'm playing both barefoot (most of the time) and with footwear (sometimes), and e.g. when playing constant 8th notes as heel-toe (not really "heel" toe, with the heel not touching the footplate), when using footwear it's easier to play towards the ball of the foot (toe-toe style, like e.g. Tim Waterson does).

But yes - if in doubt (problems finding the ideal footwear) - simply leave it out (go barefoot). Thus, there won't be excuses why some stuff doesn't happen... It's definitely the player, not the shoes, and not the pedal(s).

DayDrummer,
did you experience (I did) that with footwear you have more punch/volume and less strain on the ankles (noticeable difference when playing/practicing for hours)? This can be a plus for some drummers. I'm playing both barefoot (most of the time) and with footwear (sometimes), and e.g. when playing constant 8th notes as heel-toe (not really "heel" toe, with the heel not touching the footplate), when using footwear it's easier to play towards the ball of the foot (toe-toe style, like e.g. Tim Waterson does).

But yes - if in doubt (problems finding the ideal footwear) - simply leave it out (go barefoot). Thus, there won't be excuses why some stuff doesn't happen... It's definitely the player, not the shoes, and not the pedal(s).

Yes for some reason I do get more punch playing with shoes maybe its due to more traction or less feel. But I have a very hard time playing heel toe or a slide with shoes on it just grips to much. It almost depends what kind of style of music im playing, If its some classic music I can get away with playing with shoes. But Newer rock music there is just to much going on with the bass drum that I love the feel and control I have playing barefoot.
Your in Germany? Damn what time is it there

Yes for some reason I do get more punch playing with shoes maybe its due to more traction or less feel. But I have a very hard time playing heel toe or a slide with shoes on it just grips to much. It almost depends what kind of style of music im playing, If its some classic music I can get away with playing with shoes. But Newer rock music there is just to much going on with the bass drum that I love the feel and control I have playing barefoot.
Your in Germany? Damn what time is it there
In Germany we have afternoon now (about half past 3).

That's interesting... I think the punch increase comes from the stabilizing effect of the whole shoe structure in combination with the soles providing a better power transmission onto the pedalboard. That's why I'd say footwear is good _especially_ for modern metal stuff (that's what I'm aiming for). Honestly I'm mostly going barefoot, being too lazy to put on footwear every time I practice. So I just got used to it, played barefoot for months and even thought I'd never play in shoes again. But it worked - I like doing both, and I think it's a good idea to do both. Might improve the foot sensitivity overall.

Sole grip can indeed be a problem with some techniques. (I don't like the grip with singles/swiveling, but this is a technique which I haven't down ATM so it might just be due to not enough practice.) And probably with slide, too. I noticed even socks make a difference! Some socks have less "grip", haha.

In Germany we have afternoon now (about half past 3).

That's interesting... I think the punch increase comes from the stabilizing effect of the whole shoe structure in combination with the soles providing a better power transmission onto the pedalboard. That's why I'd say footwear is good _especially_ for modern metal stuff (that's what I'm aiming for). Honestly I'm mostly going barefoot, being too lazy to put on footwear every time I practice. So I just got used to it, played barefoot for months and even thought I'd never play in shoes again. But it worked - I like doing both, and I think it's a good idea to do both. Might improve the foot sensitivity overall.

Sole grip can indeed be a problem with some techniques. (I don't like the grip with singles/swiveling, but this is a technique which I haven't down ATM so it might just be due to not enough practice.) And probably with slide, too. I noticed even socks make a difference! Some socks have less "grip", haha.

Oh ok, in that case Cheers!

1121107390_b1b26c7fc7.jpg

Nothing ever compares

I was picking up my newly wrapped drums yesterday at Boneyard Drums and while I was there I saw a pair of very lightweight running type shoes sitting by some equipment. I asked the guy if those were his "drumming shoes", and he confirmed that indeed they were. "Interesting", I thought to myself, "specific drumming shoes".

Usually barefoot.

If not then low-top Converse is what I would usually wear.

Though I did do a gig in steel toecapped Doc Marten boots (9 hole boots) for a dare once... luckily no double bassing required for the set list... xD

But yeah barefoot or socks. Go for it :) such a sense of freedom :)

I always find drummers playing with barefeet kinda wierd. It just gross's me out for some reason.
I also feel like it takes something away from their performance, I know how ridiculous that sounds and it's a mental thing on my part but, I can't shake it.

I think the majarity of great drummers do crazy stuff with bass drums in all kinds of footwear so I don't see the benefit.

It's a matter of taste though so I can't knock anyone for doing it, especially seens as my taste is equally as extreme.
I can play any style in any footwear, even big new rocks (although they do somewhat ruin your technique), the only thing I need specific footwear for is fast, sustained double pedal.
As I've already said on a different thread I use an old pair of Nike Airs, they're running shoes and work great.
I bought a new pair of Nike Airs that looked similar but weren't actually running shoes, they were meant to look like running shoes but were for show. They had no trench under the foot and had big flat soles up until the flick at the toes and they wreaked havoc with my double bass drumming.

So seens as I know you play alot of fast stuff Arky I'll let you off! :p

Barefoot, or with socks if temperature is an issue. Just makes me feel I have more control and I generally like being barefoot anyway.

I use DW 5000 pedals and in the beginning they ate my feet or my socks up, but as my technique has improved this is no issue anymore.

+1 on barefoot (but usually w/ socks).

Recently I tried playing without socks and it was interesting to learn that there is a slight difference in feel - it feels even more direct without socks! Try it - this is the ultimate playing feel. Also, I noticed that socks can feel different, too. I noticed that some socks have less friction and would be better if you're doing the swivel technique - basically it works with any socks but some feel better. Small things, noticeable difference...

For years I had shoes that I only wore for drumming (wrestling shoes mostly, then some skater-ish Pumas).

I've long since moved on from that though...I just wear whatever sneakers I currently own and use daily (always running sneakers and such). I find I play just as well regardless of what sneaker I'm wearing, and it only takes about 5 minutes to get used to a new pair whenever I get new ones.

I've read all of these former athletes using wrestling shoes or basketball shoes (Chuck T's), so I decided to try my old track spikes... No dice (and not serious). I love to drum barefoot! I'm not really into doing much barefooted, always been a shoe person, except for swimming and sleeping.

All I say is to try drumming barefoot for two weeks and you might get hooked. Tell us how it goes.

Back